PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Groundhog Day

NVcurmudgeon
02-16-2007, 03:01 AM
Pennsylvania has its Punxsutawney Phil, and our Pleasant Valley Pete showed up last week. We never see ground squirrels in February, but this winter of little snow and recent warm weather has everybody confused. After I hastily collected and loaded the .22 and missed the little varmint, he dived into his newly dug hole. Guess that means another six weeks of winter. Don't know if he saw his shadow, but he did hear the Federal HP going by!

handyrandyrc
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Imagine the outrage if someone were to try snipe Phil... I'm so tired of ground moles/voles/and hogs in my area, I am like you, NV. If I can get a shot off, I certainly will attempt one.

PatMarlin
02-16-2007, 02:41 PM
LOL. -That's what I've got my new to me AR-15 for. NV Groundog day.. :-D

NVcurmudgeon
02-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Imagine the outrage if someone were to try snipe Phil... I'm so tired of ground moles/voles/and hogs in my area, I am like you, NV. If I can get a shot off, I certainly will attempt one.

Besides the squirrels, we had a gopher in the front yard last summer, and so many voles the lawn looks strafed by 40mm carrying aircraft. The voles get into the house occasionally, but are easy to trap. Just lace a disc of the dog's kibble to the trigger. I hate all rodents, even Mickey Mouse!

PatMarlin
02-16-2007, 08:14 PM
My new mouser... :mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
02-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Yes, Evil Black Rifles on evil rats makes perfect sense to me. Anything that Hillary hates is automatically and intrinsically good, as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry about that missed shot, Bill. More later, for sure. We are getting some warmth here, too--maybe the rats will get froggy in the local mountains and enable a little ballistic recreation.

C1PNR
02-16-2007, 09:52 PM
One of the funnest things I saw, and was NOT able to take advantage of, was an early Spring trip in CA on Highway 46 from 101 at Paso Robles to I 5.

There was still maybe 2" of snow on the ground, but the temperature was in the 40s or 50s. The rats were out of their holes in DROVES, and running around on the snow like bullseyes on a target backer! We crossed MILES of country out there with targets galore, and nothing to shoot but my carry 1076.

Needless to say, I didn't stop! But man I sure remember how tempting that was!:-D

NVcurmudgeon
02-17-2007, 03:17 AM
WE, Rats with a snow background? Looks like you were privileged to get a glimpse of what Heaven will be like!