PDA

View Full Version : B-12 as a CLeaner

Lizard333
11-09-2011, 03:59 PM
I have read that I can use B-12 cleaner found at automotive store, as a substitute cleaner that works as well if not better than the Gun Scrubber I have been using, at a much more discounted price. My question is it safe on plastics, such as my Sig pistol. Has anyone used it on the their "plastic" guns, and found it to be safe??

Bwana
11-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I know it will "melt" Ruger's polymer frames. Yes, yes I did. Two of mine have my fingerprints as part of the texture.

milprileb
11-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Bwana rules !!! and wood finishes take a beating as well. Rubber gloves
dissolve while wearing.

Engines and guns are not always in the same food group in regards to oil, grease and cleaners

mpmarty
11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I don't know, all my guns are steel. I even had some metal grips made for my 1911s

gwpercle
11-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Y es , B-12 works great but keep it away from some plastics and wood stock finishes. Better keep it away from all plastics if it melts pistol frames!

Cadillo
11-09-2011, 07:57 PM
I use carburator cleaner to good effect, and have had no issues.

williamwaco
11-09-2011, 08:44 PM
I have read that I can use B-12 cleaner found at automotive store, as a substitute cleaner that works as well if not better than the Gun Scrubber I have been using, at a much more discounted price. My question is it safe on plastics, such as my Sig pistol. Has anyone used it on the their "plastic" guns, and found it to be safe??

I can tell you three things:

1) It does not "works as well if not better than the Gun Scrubber I have been using". It works a LOT better than the best of the gun scrubbers I have used at one third to one fourth the price.

2) Keep it away from all plastics and probably all wood finishes. That said, I have used it in some plastic spray bottles that work fine with it.

3) DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CLEAN YOUR POWDER MEASURE HOPPER WITH IT. :oops:

PS:
I do not believe the handguns you mention are "plastic". Hopefully some one else here will chime in on the Polymer handguns and composite stocks.

milprileb
11-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Engines and guns are not always in the same food group in regards to oil, grease and cleaners

I would remind you saving a penny is pound foolish when it comes to ruining a weapons finish when a less aggressive gun cleaner costs so cheap these days.

Look before you leap is all I caution. Bad advice is all over the internet these days.

Lizard333
11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I'll defiantly keep it away from plastics and use it on my other guns. Thanks for the heads up!!