PDA

View Full Version : aged boolits

wgaynor
11-09-2011, 12:22 AM
A couple of months ago, I casted some boolits for my 9mm and left them on a damp rag too cool. As things happen, it took a while for me to return to that project. When I did (a few weeks later) I noticed the boolits were darker and appeared harder. Can lead boolits get harder over time, or am I just assuming too much?

geargnasher
11-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Any lead alloy that contains antimony (like Lyman #2, wheel weights, all of the type metals, etc.) will age harden. How much and how quickly depends on how quickly the alloy was cooled, how much antimony was in it, and how much (if any) subtance like arsenic is present to act as a "grain refiner" and further toughen the alloy as it ages.

Generally, wheel weight alloy that is air cooled on a dry towel from the mould will be near its maximum hardness in one to three weeks.

Gear

olafhardt
11-09-2011, 01:18 AM
if you use the foil off the corks in wine bottles in your casting alloys you really should age the the boolits oaken casks as we do at Chateau Merde.

geargnasher
11-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Even better, use xeres casks...

Gear

44man
11-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Was it the Romans that added lead to wine to sweeten it?

captaint
11-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I've seen that they did it because they liked the "sweet taste". Go figure.. Mike