PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ship something overseas?

Recluse
11-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm needing to ship something to Australia and am wondering the most cost-effective way of doing it.

Details of the package are:

• less than one pound

• package size smaller than six inches by three inches by three inches

• non-hazmat

• value of less than ten dollars

I had packaged up a few other things several months earlier which made the package around two pounds and about ten inches by ten inches by six inches and the shipping rates were going to exceed $50, which is complete bravo-sierra in my opinion.

I saw something one time on either White Label's or Bullshop's website about "flat-rate international shipping" but no absolutely zero about it.

What's the cheapest way of getting something from Texas to Australia?

Thanks.

:coffee:

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Looks like a padded envelope would be the best deal . . . https://www.usps.com/send/priority-mail-international-flat.htm

:mrgreen:

I know Lar's (White Label) ships alot of lube in the regular envelopes . . . Package well, I like to use these https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10001&productId=10000273&WT.ac=P_EP+14 inside whatever!

scrapcan
11-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Yep use the same flate rate box/envelope/bag and do the international shipping with it. You will have to fill out a customs declaration form. Not a big deal, but make sure you have the addressing correct.

frkelly74
11-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Bravo Sierra. I like that one. I would try the flat rate padded envelope. Unfortunately they are not available at all Post offices. I have to order them online through Clik-N- Ship . They are free till you use them. I do not know the overseas rates but for domestic mailing the cut off for first class is 13 OZ and then you are into priority mail Flat rates.

Springfield
11-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Cut-off for international is 4 lbs. for Flat Rate boxes. A medium FRB would be 26.00 . All the rates are on the USPS site.

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah, but . . . the padded envelope will easily hold his 3"X3"X6" box and it is only $13.95 . . . cheaper if done on-line . . . and it states for "books, boxed jewelry" so it does not have to be flat like the regular envelopes state on them, some people at the PO are stickler . . . and would not allow the regular flat rate envelope to have a bulge . . .

And the 4 pound deal is for the small box and envelopes, and the med box is $45.50 . . . cuz it is NOT going to Canada or Mexico . . .

Priority Mail International Flat Rate™

Priority Mail International Flat Rate service lets you send the Large and Medium Flat Rate boxes up to 20 lbs, and the Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes, up to 4 lbs, to over 190 countries, all for a low Flat Rate.
Plus, you’ll save when you ship online.

hiram
11-08-2011, 02:44 PM
International flat rate priority. whatever you can get in the envelope ships for 1 rate, up to 4 pounds.

scrapcan
11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I also forgot to mention to make sure the item inside is not on the restricted item list. They may/will open/scan the item to see contents leaving the US and when entering AUS.

Norbrat
11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I also forgot to mention to make sure the item inside is not on the restricted item list. They may/will open/scan the item to see contents leaving the US and when entering AUS.

Just be very generic when you describe the contents; don't mention the word gun at all.

Parts are "Metal Parts", brass is "Brass Fittings", barrels are "Metal Tubing", reloading equipment is "Press Tooling", etc.

Adam10mm
11-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Ship in a Priority Flate Rate Box-Small with international. Four pound limit and $4.95.

SciFiJim
11-09-2011, 02:43 AM
Also, make sure to put the recipient's phone number on the package. One mold that I shipped to Australia had an error in the address but they were able to call the recipient for more info.

sav300
11-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Recluse,all of the above works.I have had a lot of gear posted to me.
Bullets jackets and brass are a no no without a b309,(i think thats right) import form.
Main size I get is the flat rate with a 4 pound limit,ie gas checks and molds.

Whistler
11-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Some people here have been worried about shipping things to Sweden from the US.
Gun parts that require license in Sweden are barrels, frames, slides, cylinders and ammunition, these can be shipped, but require the receiver to send a copy of his license to the customs office.

Components (brass, dies, bullets, molds etc) can be shipped as any regular item.
The quote below describes it pretty well, except for the barrel part. Avoiding labels about guns and firearms is in general a good thing.

DukeInFlorida
11-09-2011, 08:10 AM
The Priority Mail Flat Rate PADDED envelopes will do you fine!
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10007166&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000036&top=&currentPage=0&sort=&viewAll=Y&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10007166

If you click on this post ofice postage calculator:
http://postcalc.usps.gov/

You will see the options, including the p[added flat rate envelope.

These envelopes are rugged, and will fit your package size. Your package will NOT fit in a small flat rate box.

The post office does NOT CARE if your padded flat rate envelope has a bulge.

Here's what I get from the calculator:
Priority Mail® International Padded Flat Rate Envelope
International Padded Flat Rate Envelope**
Maximum Value for Contents: $400.00
USPS-Produced Envelope: 12-1/2" x 9-1/2".
Maximum weight 4 pounds.
Post Office Price$13.95

Click this link for the online Customs Form:
https://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/sender_recipient.jsp

It will print out on your printer.

Norbrat
11-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Recluse,all of the above works.I have had a lot of gear posted to me.
Bullets jackets and brass are a no no without a b309,(i think thats right) import form.
Main size I get is the flat rate with a 4 pound limit,ie gas checks and molds.

That's if they get picked up. If the manifest says "cartridge brass" or "bullets" or mentions "gun" anywhere, customs will take a second look.

Getting a B309 is usually not a big deal if you have the appropriate classes on your license, it's just a bit of a hassle. BTDT!

I've had 1000 off .357 max brass sent as "brass tubes" and they came straight through; same with various parts and other bits and pieces.

A barrel for the Glock was picked up, but a quick visit to the firearms branch of the local police got me the B309 while I waited and then it was simple to get the parcel out of customs.

Interestingly, many years ago I imported a couple of handguns and while I was allowed to take possession from customs with the B309, I was not allowed to register them in my name until I had done all the other things we need to do for that!

And one of them was for a friend, who actually forgot to register it for almost a year, yet the police, who had issued the B309, never woke up to the fact that the gun had not been registered! :roll:

Just goes to show that the law is indeed a donkey! (@ss got censored! Donkey, not posterior!)

sav300
11-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Norbrat.thats in South Aus,not NSW another different set of laws. You know the one "all the same gun laws country wide" ha ha.

Norbrat
11-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Norbrat.thats in South Aus,not NSW another different set of laws. You know the one "all the same gun laws country wide" ha ha.

Yeah, and universally ignored 100kms from the big smokes! Did I just say that?? :rolleyes:

dragonrider
11-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Once sent a Star die removal tool to Taminsong in the Phillipines, use the padded envelope and IIRC it cost right around $12-$13.