PDA

View Full Version : got the lineotype all smelted down

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2007, 02:23 PM
sure is a pretty pile of shiny ingots and muffins. Almost to pretty to shoot. I couldnt be happier looking at a pile of gold.

357maximum
02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
sure is a pretty pile of shiny ingots and muffins. Almost to pretty to shoot. I couldnt be happier looking at a pile of gold.

I bet you would be,I would definately bet on it in fact:mrgreen: ..... you could safely increase that pile of whitegold ten or 20 or 30?? fold if it were that useless yellow stuff, well maybe it ain't "useless" just could never afford enough of it to try launching it at 2000+ fps and try for a group.. although the properties of the yellow stuff seems right.....he he...

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Like you said you cant shoot it and all its ever done for me is get me in trouble so ill take that white gold!

Bass Ackward
02-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Atta boy Lloyd. You ought to be set for a week or two. :grin:

Hayfield
02-15-2007, 07:22 PM
If it was all linotype what was the purpose of smelting it. Does 'smelting' refer to mixing your alloy? I just mix mine with the lead and tin (according to the Lyman book) to get #2. Please excuse me if this is a dumb question as I'm really just a lead/tin BPCR guy just getting started in milsurps w/cast boolits.

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2007, 08:08 PM
by smelting i was refering to melting it all down and making ingots out of it. It makes it alot easier to alloy later and i guess in a small way i was actually alloying it today as there was a bunch of monotype and stereotype mixed in and i did it up in 200lb batches so that the alloy would be consistant.

Sundogg1911
02-15-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm down to about 300 pounds of Lino. I hate to think of trying to locate more at a good price whan it's gone. I'm going to use what's left sparringly, and hope to luck into more before it's gone :(
I traded a fisherman for what I had for straight lead for His sinkers/jigheads. (He supplys fishing shops with all of their lead goodies) He get's Lino from time to time, but i'm sure I won't be seing another 3/4 ton at once.

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Ive about come to the conclusion that i cant stop looking. Ive got about 1500lbs now but it isnt going to last forever and as hard as it is to come now compared to 5 years ago i hate to see what its going to be like in 5 years to find. Let alone find any lead the way the goverment is getting on it.

Dale53
02-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm going to tell you tale of woe...

Some years ago, printers were just beginning to change over from linotype printing to the "new" printing methods. I had a friend who managed a printing firm. He had several thousand pounds of linotype that he needed to get rid of. I was doing a good bit of bullet casting and he offered me as much as I could haul away. I was, someday, going to borrow a pick up truck and help him out by removing the linotype.

Well, I kept screwing around, he kept asking when I was going to get the stuff out of his way, and I kept putting him off. One day a feller walked in the shop and ended up trading him a perfectly good truck for the linotype.

I cry myself to sleep every night I think of this:(...

Of course, it served me right. I just figured that the stuff would be there waiting for me whenever I got around to it. Well, I was wrong. You might say it was a "turning point". At any rate, I never made that same mistake again.

Word to the wise... sniff, sniff, sniff... WAH-H-H-H-H!!!:( :( :(

Dale53