PDA

View Full Version : storm lake barrel

emorris
11-07-2011, 11:56 AM
I have been looking at getting a storm lake barrel for my g23 and 27 so I can shoot lead through my glocks. I have considered the Lone Wolf barrels but I rather buy american made. I am looking for any imput of the quality of these barrels and how well they handel lead boolits.

floridaboy
11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I can't help you with the Storm Lake barrel but i can tell you i have been useing the Lone Wolf 9mm. barrel for my G23 so i can shoot lead 9mm. I have had lood luck with it.

W.R.Buchanan
11-07-2011, 01:10 PM
The Storm Lake barrels are made very well I have one for my G35 and it functions jsut fine.

I do get some malfunctions ocasionally as the chamber dimensions are considerably tighter, but in a non combat or competition situation it doesn't really matter.

If I was going to a gunfight I'll be re-installing the stock barrel and shooting factory loads. But really,,, I'd be taking a rifle first, and the pistol will only be a backup.

Randy

mpmarty
11-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Hmm... let me see here:
Pay hundreds of dollars for a pistol that requires you to pay even more for a barrel. No thanks I got rid of my Glocks years ago when the "uniqueness" wore off.

jameslovesjammie
11-07-2011, 02:30 PM
KKM is probably the best, Lone Wolf and Storm Lake follow. Another American barrel maker is EFK Firedragon.

emorris
11-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Getting rid of the glock platform is not an option for me, unless I find another place to work. I am issued the G22 for duty carry and by policy I can carry any off duty weapon I want as long as it is a glock chambered in 9mm, 40s&w, or 45 acp. I have been shooting the berrys in my 23 and 27 in the past and im running low. The bullets run almost $100 a thousand so I figured that I could get a barrel and I would be set.

W.R.Buchanan
11-07-2011, 04:39 PM
emorris: I shoot Xtremes in my .40 and .45, and they are $48 /500 and $52/500 typically at gunshows out here in CA. $.10 a shot is not bad and they load much easier than any Cast Boolit. No Lube to contend with. They work in Glocks just fine with no barrel change.

The kicker on buying one of these barrels if you must have one, is to get on Brownells list as a gunsmith or machine shop or something industry related. Then you get the Wholesale price which is in the smaller numbers before the full pop price. Big savings on most stuff!

I got mine from them and it was like $98 or something close. Full pop was over $160

Don't let others discourage you. There are Glocks and there are copies of Glocks. I have shot just about all of them and the one thing that comes to the surface everytime is that they are all Glocks with some little unnecessary thing added or changed.

Gaston got it right from the start and the small refinements that have been made in the different generations has only made them better. They are the easiest guns to learn to shoot with bar none! and are preferred by virtually shooting school in the world. Reason is there is only 3 things you can do with one. insert mag, rack slide and pull trigger! Everything else is more complicated.

There is a reason why Glocks are the most used Pistol in the world. It's cuz they work and they are reliable. Nothing else is even close, and that's not to say others aren't good guns. They are just copies of great guns.

Glocks are tools. They were designed as tools from the start. The guy who designed it was a tool maker by trade.

Most don't know,,,, The Glock 16 was an Entrenching Tool for the Austrian Army, and that's how he got inwith the Army in the first place.

Randy

Ausglock
11-07-2011, 04:42 PM
G'day. Why change your barrel?
I run a G35 in both 357Sig and 40S&W.
The 40 factory barrel gets fed Lee 175gr FP cast with range lead water quenched to a hardness of 14BHN (Lee).

Lubed with BAC. I fired 300 rounds 2 weeks ago with no leading of any kind. it iss accurate and easy to shoot.
My load is 5.4gr WSF in win cases with win primers. This is a Major power factyor load out of my G35.
I do have a Storm lake barrel in my G34 and it is a good accurate barrel and doesn't show any leading either. I run a Lee 125RN with 4gr WST.

I only shoot lead in all my handguns.

emorris
11-13-2011, 07:58 AM
I got my storm lake barrel in and it seems like it does not need to be fitted. I fired two rounds after I cycled many by hand and it goes into battery fine with a good lock up. I did some testing with my casted lee 401-175tc and the chamber is tighter than my stock barrel. Every other bullet that I have loaded in 40s&w I have set the col from 1.120 to 1.135, but my initial tests indicate that I will have to go to a shorter col of around 1.098 to get them to drop in. I slugged the bore and it measured in at .400 with my calipers (i dont have a mic). If anyone has the lee 404-175tc mold can you give me an idea of what you are setting your col at.

Hawker man
11-13-2011, 11:17 AM
You might want to give this guy a try, $60 per 1000 155g SWC 40 cal.
I have not used him yet but I'll give him a try next time I'm in the need
http://mastercastbullets.com/productpricelist.html

I shoot a LW 9mm barrel in a 34 which also fits in a 22 but sticks out by about 3/4 of an inch. Accurate and reliable.

buyobuyo
11-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Congrats on the new barrel. I run Storm Lake barrels in my 17 and 19 without problems. The 17 barrel I picked up used with "1000 rd" through it a few years ago. I've since put another 4000 or so through it. The 19 barrel I picked up a couple of months ago. The 19 barrel is chambered tighter than the 17 barrel, so I had to increase the crimp just a hair to get the rounds to chamber in the 19.