PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Advice

buyobuyo
11-07-2011, 01:36 AM
My first muzzle loader (T/C Omega) came in the mail Friday from a fellow board member, and I'm looking for suggestions on what to feed it. I picked up some Hornady 385gr HB-HP bullets, so I can try it out, but I would like to cast my own for it. The rifle will be used for plinking and elk hunting.

I know I can shoot smaller saboted boolits/bullets out of it, but I would like to avoid it if I can as it's just another thing to buy/keep around. I've read in a number of threads that people seem to like the Lee REAL molds, but I don't see much mention of which weight is being used. So which do you like in a 1:28" .50 cal? What about the 360gr Lee Minie or the 395gr Lyman Plains molds?

I picked up a pound of Pyrodex RS until I can get my hands on some BP to try out. Does anyone here know of anywhere in the DFW, Amarillo, or Lubbock areas that carries BP? I'm heading to the DFW for Thanksgiving and Christmas and going through either Amarillo or Lubbock is the same distance/drive time.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

wgr
11-07-2011, 02:23 AM
maxie balls, lyman great plains bullets

LUCKYDAWG13
11-07-2011, 05:13 AM
in my omega harvester sabots and a .430 cast boolit with 100gr of pyrodex shoot great
i know thats not what you asked but i would give the harvester sabots a try they allso make
them so you can use a .452 boolit black for .430 and green for .452 i think you need to use a
sabot with the 1;28 twist well that worked best in my gun
good luck to you