PDA

View Full Version : Kimber 308 Classic.

Four Fingers of Death
02-15-2007, 08:05 AM
I have a friend who owns a gun shop that I go to and he has the hots for my pre 64 Mod 70 which has a stainless barrel and has probably seen 8-900 jacketed bullets through it. I bought the action with a mind to making up a 3006 custom rifle from it. The stock didn't belong to the rifle when I bought the action from a gunsmith and I bought it as a temp stock to get me going. When I went to pick it up, he realised that there was a 308 barrel with the action. For an extra $30, he assembled it and bedded he stock. It is an ok rifle but I have no real attachment to it. It is fitted with a VariX11 3-9 Leupold and they are in Beuhler rings. Apart from the scope, which came off another rifle, all of the bits were second hand and I put it all together for about he price of a base grade Ruger.

He has a new Kimber in 308 on the shelf. I like the rifle, but the wood is pretty plain for a Kimber. It is a real wand it is so light. It sure is a small, light action for a 308.

Has anyone had anything to do with these?

Bass Ackward
02-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Has anyone had anything to do with these?

4f,

That is an open ended question. If this is an even up trade and you want to look at it as a financial trade, it's a nobrainer.

If you are asking about shooting lead, well .... you just did the work and just got the 06 broke and now you want to start all over?

I hate breakin in. So I would keep what I got. Besides, someday you might want to put a Whelen on that. Be a shame to tear up that Kimber to convert to anything else. So you would be stuck scrounging to locate another *** to convert.

So you gots to answer your own questions here. :grin:

Four Fingers of Death
02-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I never got around to converting it to 3006. It worked well as a 308 and I just left it at that.

cabezaverde
02-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I have owned a Kimber, a low serial NY gun in 7-08.

I put months into trying to get this gun to shoot accurately with jacketed, but never could. Traded it to a dealer that loved it's looks.

Four Fingers of Death
02-20-2007, 01:22 AM
I didn't get in in the end, saw a well worn Rem 700 with a mint barrel, local deer/trophy hunter, lotssssssssssssssssssss of carrying, not much shooting, cheapppppppp! I ended up swapping the 70 for a huge rifle safe, 2x rifles and 120 rounds of new Remin. gton 300WM 180Gn Corelokts. The Kimber would have been too pretty for me. :D MIck.