PDA

View Full Version : Outers Foul Out II interesting results

omgb
11-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I purchased an outer's Foul Out II off of Ebay a few days back. I also ordered some of the new, reformulated Outers Cop Out and Lead Out from Midway. For the last two days I've been testing it on several rifles. here's what I found:

1. The old formula is pretty pedestrian. It works but oh so slowly...almost 6 hours to totally de-foul a mildly fouled 06 bore.

2. The new stuff works like gang busters..much faster, much more agressive

3. An old Mosine Nagant I spent 5 days de-fouling with all sorts of chemical coppersolvents and a couple of tons of elbow grease was clean...nothing came out of it and it registered "clean" on the meter.

4. An old 03A3 took 4 hours to de-foul and looks like new.

5. An Enfield sporter registered "clean" on the meter and gave up nothing.

6. My grandfather's 30-30 rifle (not a carbine) made back in 1907 has ben giving up all manner of fouling for the last three hours. I've had to sand the cleaning rod twice. Interestingly, the majority of the fouling is at the last 5 inches of barrel.

7. So far no rust and the cleaning fluid remains light blue. This supposedly indicates no barrel damage, just fouling from copper.

The thing works. You have to watch it, it's not "fire and forget" but it sure beats heck out of scrubbing, flushing, patching, scrubbing ad nausia. I'm going to try it on a lead foulded barrel next. BTW, Copout is on clearence at Midway right now. A gallon jug is less than $35.

dragonrider
11-06-2011, 11:43 AM
My Fout Out II is my most used cleaning tool.

omgb
11-06-2011, 01:27 PM
It's a great tool. I only wonder why I took so long to buy one.

omgb
11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
I should add too, with lever actions this is the "bees knees". Think about it, lever actions have to be cleaned from the muzzle. Even with a bore guide, you run the risk of damaging the crown if you have to do a lot of scrubbing. With the Foul Out, there is no scrubbing. Degrease the bore with a patch or two soaked in your favorite degreaser, dry, cork, fill, insert the rod, hook up, clean, dry, rinse, dry and oil.

geargnasher
11-09-2011, 02:26 AM
I have a FO-III with the modern solutions, it works great on copper. One thing I've found with really fouled bores is to stop and clean the bore with brake cleaner (or whatever degreaser you used) and a few tight patches, then degrease everything again and give it another go with the rod and solution. It seems that powder fouling and oil residue get uncovered in layers and stop the process of the system, so periodic scrubbing is in order. Worst one I've done took four hours total with the FO and about six cleanings in between. It's a pain to keep going through the cycle of filling and cleaning, but it sure beats what it would take to do it with patches and ammonia.

Gear

omgb
11-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I agree, it lays down in layers and yu really do have to stop and scrub every 30 min or so. I use Walmart brake cleaner as a degreaser and Montana Extream as the solvent.