PDA

View Full Version : .45 Hollow Point Failure

Boolseye
11-05-2011, 10:29 PM
I tried out some HPs that I drilled with my Forster tool today, but apparently they were too hard. The 200 grain SWC went through three one-gallon and 3 1/2-gallon milk jugs and lodged in the dirt, no expansion (not that it needs it) My Range lead must be up around 14-15 BHN, hard. Pretty impressive penetration, though (900 fps, over 6.2 grains of Unique)

RobS
11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
They need to be pretty soft and at slower velocities of the 45 auto I like large HP's. Say 8-9 BHN and some tin helps keep things together as well.

Sonnypie
11-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Oh Man!
I forgot to tell you... :oops:
The jugs have to be full of water.
Otherwise you won't get any expansion. :shock:

:lol:
Yep. Softer boolits at lower speeds.
Mine, made from Magnum Shot (for shotgun shells) tested at 11.8 for air cooled, and 12.1 for water dropped.
But I haven't tested them in water, or meat, yet.
But they don't lead the barrel neither. Crono'd at 747 FPS avg.
(45 ACP, 5.0g, W-231 POWder. 230g Magnum Shot Alloy. 4-6% Antimony, .31% tin)

I donno if they would "open up", but they ain't gonna feel good passing through some rat. ;-)

Rangefinder
11-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Range lead is always a wildcard unless you test your ingots and keep track. For HP's I usually start with a 50/50 alloy of WW and dead-soft with about 2% tin, then adjust as needed depending on what I'm pushing it through.

Oh Man!
I forgot to tell you...
The jugs have to be full of water.
THAT'S what I've been doing wrong all this time!! :D

Actually, a better simulation for expansion is either wet phone books or sand jugs. For the sand jugs, fill your gallon jugs about 3/4 ful of masonry sand, then top off with water--just make sure it's soaked all the way through. The sand offers a bit of resistance similar to tissue without being solid. It does lie a bit being abrasive, but it gives a better penetration example than straight water.

BCB
11-06-2011, 07:39 AM
I believe this is a 45 Colt although it might be a 44 Magnum--didn't label it, but I am most certain it is the 45 Colt...

It was hollow-pointed with the Forster Hollow Pointer...

It was cast from pure lead...

Shot through a plastic gallon container filled with water and backed by tightly compressed wet catologs...

I am uncertain this type of expansion would occur if used on deer...

Good-luck...BCB

44man
11-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I believe this is a 45 Colt although it might be a 44 Magnum--didn't label it, but I am most certain it is the 45 Colt...

It was hollow-pointed with the Forster Hollow Pointer...

It was cast from pure lead...

Shot through a plastic gallon container filled with water and backed by tightly compressed wet catologs...

I am uncertain this type of expansion would occur if used on deer...

Good-luck...BCB
It will do the same but penetration would just go away. It just opens too fast.

Ragnarok
11-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Ain't no deal....I've seen very expensive jacketed pistol hollowpoints fail to expand.

Boolseye
11-06-2011, 09:59 AM
I'll try half range lead, half pure and see what happens. THanks for the replies.

Dan Cash
11-06-2011, 10:56 AM
After close to 40 years of experimenting with expanding pistol bullets, I decided that a big hole going in was the place to start. A big, .44 or .45 that bores a hole all the way through the critter works very well for me.

blikseme300
11-06-2011, 11:03 AM
After close to 40 years of experimenting with expanding pistol bullets, I decided that a big hole going in was the place to start. A big, .44 or .45 that bores a hole all the way through the critter works very well for me.

+1 to this.

Larry Gibson
11-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I'll try half range lead, half pure and see what happens. THanks for the replies.

+1

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
11-06-2011, 12:00 PM

I found the same thing, a bigger hole with a non expanding bullet is almost always better. However, a bigger hole going in with an expanding bullet is bwas better yet. I've found in over 40+ years of using HP cast bullets on game that with a proper alloy giving proper expansion out of an appropriate cartridge with an appropriate load that lack of "penetration" has never been a problem on deer, elk or pigs.

I prefer the use of HP cast bullets for hunting or serious social occasions.

Larry Gibson

Von Dingo
11-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I prefer the use of HP cast bullets for hunting or serious social occasions.

Larry Gibson

Like black tie events, or fundraisers?:D

Blackwater
11-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I too have tried to get expansion from the .45 ACP with HP's, but was never what I'd call really "successful." The problem, I think, stems from the fact that 1911's have pretty shallow and fairly quick twist rifling. This makes it difficult to get good accuracy from softer bullet alloys needed for expansion, and puts you in the position of having to choose between accuracy and expansion, and maybe some leading as well. I've never used the Lyman Devastator bullet, though I've considered it often, and if I were after expansion, that's probably the mould I'd start with, and maybe something like 50/50 WW/Lead alloy with 2-4% tin added. In my experience, extra tin really helps the bullet expand AND stay together.

I used to use the Lee 150-SWC-HP a lot. It had a large HP cavity and expanded well when driven fairly fast from .357's or loaded hot in .38 cases to shoot in .357's. With plain ACWW's, the nose patals would shear off, but with 2-4% tin added in, they'd hold together much better, and penetrate maybe a smidge deeper as well. I really couldn't tell much difference in results on actual game, however, so ya' pays yer money and takes yer choice.

If you try the Lyman Devastator, post results, please. I think there are quite a few here who'd appreciate knowing your results. It will probably take a little experimenting to get your alloy and velocity and accuracy balanced out, but therein lies the fun, too.

runfiverun
11-06-2011, 05:05 PM
i'm pretty sure if i had the pure lead that i'd just start at 40or30-1 and maybe then go to 25-1
the 30-1 has been a stellar hollow point performer for years.

Boolseye
11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
i'm pretty sure if i had the pure lead that i'd just start at 40or30-1 and maybe then go to 25-1
the 30-1 has been a stellar hollow point performer for years.

That I can do. Start makin' use of my pewter and pure stashes.

USSR
11-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Tin, ya got's to have tin. I like 25:1 for .45 ACP HP loads.

Don

fredj338
11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Tin, ya got's to have tin. I like 25:1 for .45 ACP HP loads.

Don

That is my choice. These were wetpack tested.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/45-215gr.jpg
If you are water dropping your range lead, that could be making it harder. range lead can be anything, mine runs mostly around 10BHN.

Boolseye
11-11-2011, 07:57 PM
If you are water dropping your range lead, that could be making it harder. range lead can be anything, mine runs mostly around 10BHN.

For some reason, my range lead is up around 12-14. Must be a lotta cast boolits in the mix.
Too hard for HP's even air-cooled.I have no doubt my next attempt will work, thanks to you guys!