PDA

View Full Version : Linux 5 Redhat Os

No_1
02-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Gentlemen,
A friend just gave me a new in box LINUX 5 REDHAT OS that has merto-x server and BRU P.E. backup software included. It has never been opened so I feel that it should be usable. It came from a bunch of stuff new and old in a house he bought. What can you tell me about this?

Robert

handyrandyrc
02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Is it seriously a copy of Red Hat 5.0? WOW -- that is pretty crazy.

Red Hat was up to version 9.0 before they switched the name to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. And RHEL is NOW up to version 4.0 I think. That is a CRAZY old copy of Red Hat. Someone might actually like to buy a copy on eBay, but see, this came from the days when Red Hat was completely free. You could download complete CD images from their website and burn your own copies freely.

I think the most a company can charge to sell a copy of Red Hat is something like 5 bucks to cover the costs of CD duplication, etc. But you truly do have a classic there...

wiljen
02-14-2007, 09:28 PM
A version of RH is still free - its called Fedora Core if you google it. The Enterprise version technically is still free but you pay for support etc.

No_1
02-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Oh yeah. It is the real deal. Still sealed in the original package and looks brand new just like I took it off the store shelf today. I was reading the back panel and it said that this was some kind of package deal that included Apache web server. It was distributed by MacMillian digital publishing and Red Hat.

And to think I had something....

Robert

Is it seriously a copy of Red Hat 5.0? WOW -- that is pretty crazy.

Red Hat was up to version 9.0 before they switched the name to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. And RHEL is NOW up to version 4.0 I think. That is a CRAZY old copy of Red Hat. Someone might actually like to buy a copy on eBay, but see, this came from the days when Red Hat was completely free. You could download complete CD images from their website and burn your own copies freely.

I think the most a company can charge to sell a copy of Red Hat is something like 5 bucks to cover the costs of CD duplication, etc. But you truly do have a classic there...

scrapcan
02-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Find an old pc from the era and boot that sucker up. Then go out and get a newer version of some Distro and see what has changed. some things may suprise you, others will surprise you how little has changed.

OR you could go to the Redhat or Fedora forums and see if someone wants a museum piece, may fund a new shooter for you.

One of the older version of RH allowed you to build a webserver on a floppy, man that was a long time ago.

Fedora is in fact the open community for Redhat development. Sometimes with Fedora you are on the bleeding edge, some of the version are suprisingly stable. I am currently running FC5.

Good source of distribution info is www.distrowatch.com