PDA

View Full Version : Whats "tap a talk" on the I phone

RU shooter
11-05-2011, 08:38 AM
I just got one of these new(to me anyways)I phones an older 3G S ,Kids said I need to get some technology in my life,Like I dont have enough to confuse me!. Anyways I got on this site with it at work yesterday and a little screen came up and said Castboolits is Tap a talk native ??? I have posted on some other forums with it and it works just like my laptop does just type in the words and hit post reply to thread ,they didnt say anything about the tap a talk thing though . Do I need to do something different to post here if I use the I phone ,Also can you post pictures with it? or do I need to send them to my home computer and go from there as normal.

Thanks ,Tim

btroj
11-05-2011, 09:03 AM
I just hit "No" or "ignore" when I get those messages. Everything seems to be just like normal that way.

Tazman1602
11-05-2011, 09:39 AM
RU --

"Tapatalk" is an application that makes it extremely easy to access forums on your phone or other connected device. I run it on my Android phone as well as my tablet although my tablet is big enough to read just the normal forum website.

Don't know much about iPhones but its worth every dime on my phone. Just do a Google search for tapatalk if you want to know more. FWIW there are a TON of firearms forums that work with tapatalk...

Art

Tazman1602
11-05-2011, 09:42 AM
This is posted from my phone RU..can't tell the difference except for the tapatalk message and I can get rid of that if I want to..

Art

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

waksupi
11-05-2011, 11:56 AM
This is posted from my phone RU..can't tell the difference except for the tapatalk message and I can get rid of that if I want to..

Art

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I would appreciate any one who can, getting rid of it. As far as I am concerned it is spam, and I am often tempted to just delete the whole message, and send an infraction.

theperfessor
11-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Waksupi, I don't use it, but I'm curious as to the why of your post to delete messages and send infractions to posts made with/via Tap a Talk?

waksupi
11-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Waksupi, I don't use it, but I'm curious as to the why of your post to delete messages and send infractions to posts made with/via Tap a Talk?

Because it is advertising Xoom and Tapatalk, without paying for vendor space. Furthermore, not being gun related, I doubt seriously if it would be sold advertising space here in the first place. We are pretty serious about keeping spam off this board. And it IS spam.

Chicken Thief
11-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry could'nt resist:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/spamani.gif

montana_charlie
11-05-2011, 12:36 PM
That looks like Tap-a-Spam ...

btroj
11-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't think itis spam, it is advertising. I don't like it either but short of banning certain devices what can be done to stop it?
We use the device we have at hand, are we really goi to start limiting access to only certain devices?

Again- I do NOT like it either but don't know that the board can do much about it.

Chicken Thief
11-05-2011, 04:03 PM
I have been MOD on a phpBB 2.0 system and there it is possible to exchange sertain phrases/words to whatever you like.
So if someone writes (edit) is can be set to display anything eg. damn or the like.
So in phpBB to make the system replace the text strip with nothing is but a 30 sec move.

waksupi
11-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Spam = advertising. What else would you call it?

Not saying you can't use them, but it's rude and inconsiderate of our members.

RU shooter
11-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I just hit "No" or "ignore" when I get those messages. Everything seems to be just like normal that way.
Thank you, Normal is good for me .

bigjason6
11-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Seriously, who really cares?

theperfessor
11-05-2011, 07:29 PM
I know my iPhone (3GS) would add "sent from my iPhone" or something similar to all my emails, but it was easy enough to delete that and add my own sig line. I wonder if tapatalk will allow someone to do the same thing?

As stated, I don't use tapatalk, I'm happy with safari on my iPhone.

22Short
11-05-2011, 07:35 PM
When the application opens select preferences. Scroll down to signature and select off. My apologies for my application being disturbing! I best never post anything else lest I end up downrange!

45nut
11-05-2011, 07:57 PM
lot more drama on the topic than I expected! Any app that helps our members here is ok by me.

Bret4207
11-06-2011, 07:50 AM
I sent a text message once 3-4 years back and I've received 2. That's as far as I've gotten and I'm comfortable at this point.

Tazman1602
11-06-2011, 08:40 AM
I would appreciate any one who can, getting rid of it. As far as I am concerned it is spam, and I am often tempted to just delete the whole message, and send an infraction.

So you are saying when I have to go on the road for the next two weeks to put my dad in a home I should just stay off the board Wak?

Thanks. After all the donations I've given here at your request I will stay away. Tapatalk allows those of us who use our phones to stay in contact.

IMHO that message was too strong. Bye.

Tazman1602
11-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Tapatalk, settings, signature, none

Sent from my mobile device, using an application that may get me an infraction, because it suits me.

cgtreml
11-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I've been there and trust me. That is the time you really need this forum. Something to read as well. Time seems to stand still and you need something.
Good luck Buddy

45nut
11-06-2011, 11:46 AM
There won't be any moves against anyone using tapatalk or anything else that gives them access to the forum. We do request the "spam" signature removal. That seems easy enough for anyone using the service.

Minor annoyance, let's move on.

waksupi
11-06-2011, 11:48 AM
So you are saying when I have to go on the road for the next two weeks to put my dad in a home I should just stay off the board Wak?

Thanks. After all the donations I've given here at your request I will stay away. Tapatalk allows those of us who use our phones to stay in contact.

IMHO that message was too strong. Bye.

No, not saying that at all. Read what I said, it is just my personal opinion. We do have those here. There is no rule about it, and it's extremely doubtful there ever would be. Just one of my pet peeves. I think I have a phobia against phones in general.

donnis
11-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I use tapatalk and it's about the only way I access the forum. I heard it was going to be disabled at some point in the future (email exchange around the last donation drive). I'm not looking forward to that and it will cut down on my forum use.

greywuuf
11-06-2011, 12:16 PM
I have just left the Sig on "Tap a Talk" alone, I will change it but it will reference the fact that I was mobile as it helps to explain some of the Very Odd Auto correct substitution that are sometimes made. Gun related acronyms seem to be the worst offenders. ( I know, careful proof reading would solve that, but with limited screen space and a very smallish "keyboard" seem to make it more likely that I wont scroll back to the top for that)

45nut
11-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Advancing technology is what made this forum possible, and I know there are always hiccups when going forward, wait til we go to the new forum software, It will certainly be frightful for some here!
Meanwhile,, we adapt and overcome the obstacles.

greywuuf
11-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Just hadda test my new Sig line.

Homeland defense begins at home. I'm not there.

Sent from a mobile device using a commercial app.

greywuuf
11-06-2011, 12:55 PM
UGh. It's truly awful. Won't display spacing.

Homeland defense begins at home. I'm not there. Sent from a mobile device using a commercial app.

RU shooter
11-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Sorry I poked a stick in the old wasp nest about the subject. For me anyways I'm way behind in the technology evolution , heck my last mobile phone was a 10 yr old prepaid trac phone. Might have been old but it did what I needed it to do make a call, With this I phone I've made quite a few " accidental " calls already just getting used to the touch screen. It is truly amazing what this little thing can do though . And when things are slow at work it does help past the time,I'm about 70 pages into reading the Federalist Papers on it.

SciFiJim
11-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Advancing technology is what made this forum possible, and I know there are always hiccups when going forward, wait til we go to the new forum software, It will certainly be frightful for some here!
Meanwhile,, we adapt and overcome the obstacles.

New forum software? :shock: When? Which software? If we have a heads up, we can take a look and get used to change before it happens. I don't like change, but realize the inevitability of it. It is easier to get used to it if I have time to examine and think about the change first.

45nut
11-06-2011, 03:19 PM
http://forum.gunloads.com/forum.php
that will be the new look, here is the thread on it:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=68087
post 27 gives more info.

montana_charlie
11-06-2011, 04:46 PM
http://forum.gunloads.com/forum.php
that will be the new look, here is the thread on it:
Does that mean that Cast Boolits will no longer exist as a forum centered on the casting of bullets?
CM

runfiverun
11-06-2011, 04:46 PM
thats pretty similar to many other forums.
once the headings get straightened out it will be fine.

waksupi
11-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Ken, I may have asked before, but will the new forum have the "today" feature? I like to be able to see new posts in all forums.

Looking around in there I found I have a spam message for my first PM.

Trey45
11-06-2011, 05:07 PM
It takes a real rocket surgeon to spam a moderator in a PM. Pure GENIUS I tells ya.

45nut
11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Does that mean that Cast Boolits will no longer exist as a forum centered on the casting of bullets?
CM

We shall just update the software package, for instance we are currently using version 3.8.4, the new package is vBulletin 4. This is on hold for now to wait out the de-bugging with new software.
More secure with more features, and everything we like including the today's' posts Ric.

Gunload Master
11-07-2011, 10:24 PM
For reference here, TapATalk will be going away, I am in works with a new system that will be much better.

bigjason6
11-08-2011, 06:08 AM
For reference here, TapATalk will be going away, I am in works with a new system that will be much better.

Great, tapatalk is the main way I'm able to get on the forum when I'm on the road. Which happens to be five days out of the week.

sffar
11-08-2011, 08:04 AM
I just installed the Tapatalk the other day, and it works great. It's a whole lot better than viewing with the phone's browser. I hope it doesn't go away, as it took me a couple of months to get around to putting it on my phone and it's extremely useful, as mentioned above, for many forums.
Just went to settings/signature/none, so thanks for the help with that!
Does it cost the CB website money for the compatibility?
Sam

22Short
11-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Go ahead and delete my account when you disable tapatalk. That's how I get to read this forum.

Gunload Master
11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I've ran into some hiccups with the new system so it probably won't be showing up anytime soon. So as for now Tapatalk is the way to go.

The main reason I don't like tapatalk is because they charge people to use it.

theperfessor
11-27-2011, 09:44 PM
I've ran into some hiccups with the new system so it probably won't be showing up anytime soon. So as for now Tapatalk is the way to go.

Not sure I understand the economics of the Net, but who is being charged for what? The site owner or the phone owner? If its the site owner then I can see your concern.

If its the phone owner then that's another issue. As stated, I don't have it or use it so I don't know the real issue here. Just curious.

I probably do 75% of my web surfing using my iPhone and Safari or other dedicated apps. IMHO anything that makes this site more accessible to people using tablets, smartphones and mobile devices should be considered.

greywuuf
11-27-2011, 10:18 PM
The "app" itself costs the phone owner money to purchase for download. There after it OS dependant on your phone contract if it costs money to use.

Homeland defense begins at home. I'm not there. Sent from a mobile device using a commercial app.

btroj
11-27-2011, 11:07 PM
I have never seen anything about being charged for using tap a talk. Maybe it is a fee included in my normal cell contract? My iPad frequently comes up with a prompt for it too. No mention of paying at all. My iPad has no 3G serviceso I don't know how I would get billed.

Anything that allows people to access the site should be allowed, if I have any say. Technology is what it is.

greywuuf
11-27-2011, 11:14 PM
The only reason I mentioned paying for the use.... Some cell phone contracts don't cover "Data" plans or limit you to a certain throughput.... I am assuming that tap a talk is either a internet (data) plan or a text message, usage. you may well be covered, some people pay per kilobyte of data transferred .

bigjason6
11-28-2011, 11:56 AM

What about using a different mobile forum app like forumrunner?

SSGOldfart
11-28-2011, 07:29 PM
you got any eggs to go with that spam,throw in a biscuit and we're in business

bigjason6
11-28-2011, 07:59 PM
What spam?

22Short
11-28-2011, 08:12 PM
I prefer Portuguese sausage. Smoked with banana leaves and sliced thin... try it with eggs! :D