PDA

View Full Version : New scam!

tomf52
02-14-2007, 04:16 PM
You want to hear a good one? Included with this quarter's garbage bill was a leaflet from the private contractor that picks up our trash that they would gladly dispose of unwanted firearms, ammunition, and any shooting related items. Can you believe this?!

fatnhappy
02-14-2007, 04:27 PM
So will I. Do you have any?

wiljen
02-14-2007, 04:48 PM
You want to hear a good one? Included with this quarter's garbage bill was a leaflet from the private contractor that picks up our trash that they would gladly dispose of unwanted firearms, ammunition, and any shooting related items. Can you believe this?!

Perhaps you could suggest that you wish to give them just the bullets and ask where they would like them delivered. I'd be very careful how I worded my answer to those questions if I were them.

imashooter2
02-14-2007, 05:17 PM
He isn't trying to scam anyone out of anything. He says if you don't want it, he'll take it. Nothing dishonest in that at all.

rmb721
02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
tomf52
You would have to pay the trash collector. I would pay the shipping.

Dale53
02-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Actually, I believe that the trash collector is trying to con little old widows out of their dead husband's shooting material without paying for it. Pretty clever, but a bit low life...

Dale53

Bigjohn
02-14-2007, 08:26 PM
:-D HEY! If you don't want it, I'm willing to take it off your hands, just ship it prepaid to................................[smilie=1:

Personally, I does seem like a low trick to convince Elder Widows to part with something they may not know the value of.

It might be worth counter advertising as a valuer of old shooting equipment.
You never know what you may turn up.

One problem I have with this is where will the firearms end up?

I recently bought some old chamber reamers from a local estate plus some handy firearms parts. No receivers or complete firearms.

John

tomf52
02-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Dale53 - This is exactly how it struck me - taking advantage of the uninformed.

MT Gianni
02-14-2007, 10:49 PM
I work for a natural gas distribution and transmission company. We had one of the "enlightened ones" from out of state attending our University come by with a 1 lb propane camping cylinder. He wanted to get rid of it ASAP as it was "abandoned" in the house he just moved into. "It must be dangerous and how could someone be so careless, were there not laws about haz. materiels". After listen to him question our dispatchers for a few minutes, i stopped what I was doing and assured him it was safe in small quantities and in a leak proof container. He's having none of it and went on again so I voluntered to dispose of it for him. Problem solved.
The point being people that don't know any shooters except Grandpa, who is now dead, may not even want the stuff around so bad that they assume there is a disposal charge to get rid of it. I think the disposal company would probably rather see ammo and powder in its current form than hidden in something else especially if they have to dispose of lead differently. Gianni.

Bent Ramrod
02-14-2007, 10:55 PM
The new service economy is now rife with such possibilities for providing that little bit of extra care for the public weal. I was walking through a gun show a few years ago and spotted a table full of boxes of gas checks, piles of lead ingots, cans of cast bullets, bags of empty brass and other odds and ends. Hanging around and listening to the conversations of those behind the table, I gathered that the man of the house had passed away and the widow, after looking into his sanctum sanctorum (probably for the first time) had totally freaked out. All those explosives, all that lead, all that dangerous environmentally hazardous stuff!

In minutes, she was on the phone to the Hazmat Team, who were now behind the table at the gun show disposing of the last of the dear departed's stuff in an "environmentally innocuous manner." The moulds, powder and primers were already gone, as were the loading tools, from what I was hearing. I hoped the minions of our Planet's salvation didn't get the guns, the cases and the departed's mercury-contaminated tooth fillings as well, but I had a bad feeling about it.

madcaster
02-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I have helped one widow in selling her late husband's guns,and i gave her all of the money that they sold for,not saying that I'm a great guy or nothing,cause I'm sure NOT,but I also realize that someday if I leave this old world before my wife,someone else will be talking to her about those things...

Dale53
02-15-2007, 01:00 AM
I have helped several widows dispose of their husbands guns, reloading materials, etc. I have a rule. I don't "buy" a thing from them. I just help them dispose of the items at the best possible price (they normally request a quick sale - so I have to explain to them about a "quick sale" and waiting for the best price. Then they choose which way they want to go). I belong to a fairly large club and many of the things go there for sale. It generally works quite well.

It's a good bit of work (getting rid of my stuff will be a nightmare for someone(:>)) so I don't advertise. I just go if I am asked.

My reward is simple. I go to sleep feeling that this is the last real thing I can do to help my departed friend take care of his family. What more reward could a man want?

Am I a hero? Absolutely not. I love the "high" I get from helping someone in need get over a difficult patch.

Dale53

trk
02-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Once in a while having a greedy feller around is useful. A friend of a friend of mine died, leaving his entire collection to his widow. In t he collection was an illegal Thompson. A bit of a quandry for my friend, on how to keep his late friend's widow out of trouble. Was not a problem, there was an unethical vulture that handled everything without a word. Not the best solution, but it was not the best situation either.

greenthumb
02-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Many years ago [more than 50] my fathers aunt and uncle rented a lower flat from an old guy and his two old maid sisters.
My father and the uncle were into fishing mostly,little interest in guns or shooting.
I ,on the otherhand,while always ready for a fishing trip, was nuts about guns.
Several times I heard mention that the old guy was big into guns and hunting.
One day while we were on another fishless venture,the uncle casually mentioned the old man had died and the two sisters had put all his stuff out to the street for the garbage pickup!! I dam near sh!te myself!
Mention was made of an old foot powered lathe and a lot of "stuff" that nobody knew what it was. Even my father was pissed off that nobody told us in time to check things out.
Next time I saw the aunt she gave me a handfull of things she salvaged as she passed by the pile. An old leather shot bag,a few old percussion cap boxes and a 12 guage wad punch. I kept the items all these years and look at them now and then just to wonder what all there was there.

R.M.
02-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I know a dealer that quite often will get customers asking for a bill of sale for say $100.00 that he can show his wife, and say "See honey, this only cost me a hundred bucks." Of course he would pay the rest on the sly.
Seems that one such customer, with a fairly extensive collection, passed on. His wife sold all the guns for a hundred a piece, as that's what she was led to believe they cost. I guess she lost thousands.
I think there's a lesson to be learned here, just not sure what. :coffee:

R.M.

leftiye
02-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Trk- You have a hard time finding greedy people lately? Made my house out of masonry, and they still are coming out of the woodwork!

BigSlick
02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
I've helped a friend whose health had deteriorated to the point he could no longer get aound or see well.

His son's didn't care enough about him to give him time of day.

I inventoried everything (no small task) and searched the forums and websites to put a value on it. When I totalled everything up, it was amazing how much the stuff was worth at todays prices.

I discussed the value, how he wanted to distribute/dispose of the stuff with him and he decided one lump sum would be best instead of the hassle of selling it a piece at a time. Said he would split the money we got with me.

Well that wasn't going to work at all, so he decided to give me pick of his guns and gear for my efforts and sell the rest.

I ended up keeping an old Browning Sweet 16 he taught me to shoot when I was a kid and a Case knife he carried as long as he could remember.

I sold the rest of it over about 4 months time and put the money in his bank account. He was suprised at how much it turned out to be.

One of the best times I ever had with him was recounting all his stuff and hearing the stories that went along with every bit of it.

He passed away about three months after that.

One of his boys sued me for the Sweet 16. Knowing my friend like I did, I knew he would have rolled in his grave if I gave it to his son, so I went to court and dealt with it.

His youngest grandson just turned 25 last October. He stopped by to see if I happened to have any old pictures or could tell him anything about his grandfather. He was trying to research the family tree and update the family Bible and such. We talked for a while and when he was leaving I gave him the 16 and told him the story about his uncle trying to get it from me.

It seems he and that uncle don't get along too well, so I figured it would be the right place for the Sweet 16 to end up.
________
CHRYSLER RB ENGINE HISTORY (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_RB_engine)

madcaster
02-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Bigslick,
That is great how you handled that all throughout!

tomf52
02-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Here's another little story. This one also is true. The man passes away and the family comes to help Mom clean out the house of his belongings. Those guns, they're WWII junk. No value son in law states. In the trash they went. One item, and a best friend of mine saw it personally several times, was a 1911A1 still in the cosmoline shipping paper as delivered to the military. There was an MI, MI carbine, and othe valuable accessories. Oh well. Ironically, I just got news of this last night.

Retro
02-16-2007, 01:55 PM
He isn't trying to scam anyone out of anything. He says if you don't want it, he'll take it. Nothing dishonest in that at all.

We're in a somewhat similar somewhat dissimilar situation here in South Africa. I've been given a Savage 99 and it looks like I'll get a Browning pistol soon too -- all because people are being forced to re-licence their already licenced firearms, at the cost of training etc, and many people just don't want to.

I can't save all the guns, but I can try :-) Actually, I don't think there will be a way for me to licence the Browning, but I don't know yet.

Sad days.

But if you're reading this from South Africa, and you don't want the hassle, hey, I'll take your guns :-)

Retro

Sundogg1911
02-16-2007, 02:21 PM
I think that's a little better than the so called "Gun Buy back" programs they have in my area designed to get those dangerous criminals guns off the streets and to protect our citizens! you turn in your guns and get $25 or some baseball tickets no questions asked. It's a joke! I guess the hardened criminals will be lined up waiting to turn in their weapons. The last one that I saw on the news showed the video footage from a gunshop to make people think people were actually turning in Bushmaster AR-15s and Kimber 1911's for a couple of tickets to see the Pittsburgh Pirates. (last time I checked they can't give those tickets away) I'm not sure if it amuses me or makes me angry....maybe both.

corvette8n
02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
I was talking to our local sheriff and he told me the widows bring in guns in brown paper bags because they are afraid of them.
He also said lots of people bring in bags of ammo they find laying around the house.
Unfortunately I can't get any of this stuff.

I know of several people that have C&R FFL's that print up business cards saying they are licensed collectors looking for guns.

hydraulic
02-16-2007, 08:24 PM
A friend passed away and his wife called me saying she wanted to sell his guns. I went over to the house and looked them over and told her what they were worth and said I would pay her 10% less than the absolute high dollar. Didn't know if I could come out on the deal for sure, but was willing to take a chance. The local banker gets ahold of her and said I was trying to cheat her and he paid her way more than they were worth. Now my name is mud in a small town for trying to cheat a widow. Never again. Someone wants to sell me a gun they have to price it themselves.

BAGTIC
02-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Actually, I believe that the trash collector is trying to con little old widows out of their dead husband's shooting material without paying for it. Pretty clever, but a bit low life...

Dale53

I suspect some of us are partly to blame for this situation. How many of us were less than 100% truthful to our wives about what we really paid for our guns.

georgeld
02-18-2007, 12:22 AM
I've put in my will about my guns, supplies and loading stuff.

IF I'm still with this g/f, she get's all the loaded 38's and the K 38.

Everything else is to be donated, they come and pick it up of course.
To the rifle club for an auction, or income producing event to the membership.

This includes the three ton of lead ingots too, hehe!!