PDA

View Full Version : old shilo

bigted
11-04-2011, 11:08 PM
got my eye on an old...[20 + year old]...Shiloh sharps. been fired 3 times...purchased directly from the Montana store/shop 20 some years ago. this rifle is the same age as the rifle built for Hank Williams Jr. his rifle was just finished when this feller picked up this rifle from the store front after the original owner rejected it because of lack of funds.

question...is this old enough to have still had the wolf head on the barrel and also the "old reliable" on the barrel top? what would be a fair price for this rifle...don't know yet about special wood or anything as i have yet to see it. will look at it tomorrow so wanted some details on it before i try to make a deal on this pristine rifle. he claims to have spent 2200.00 dollars for this rifle at that time....according to the net store...unless there is something "special" this rifle dosnt sound like a 2200 dollar rifle...it suppose to have the snable forearm.......more news after i see it and will report here the findings.

also another question is thusly.......i have a Pedrosoli '74' sharps in long range 45-70 that if i land the Shiloh i will be looking to do something ive been wanting to do to this rifle for awhile...that would be to have it re-bored to 50 cal and chambered for the 50-2.5 case. this is a beast to carry as it currently has a 34 inch half round barrel so i want to do the re-bore and shorten to a 28 inch barrel along with a blade front and dove-tail a Shiloh style full buck-horn on the rear. want to make it a hunter rifle in the big fifty....any suggestions for someone to re-bore and rifle it with a 23 inch or so twist?

thanks in advance and i appreciate all the knowledge/suggestions.

Don McDowell
11-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Check the serial number if it has a B on either end of it it's a not a Wolfgang gun.

If you're halfway handy with a drill bit you could put a 50 caliber liner in that barrel yourself. Track of the Wolf sells the liners, not sure about the drill bits. But then you'ld need to rent/buy a reamer.... You'll also need a different extractor.
Probably cheaper to have some one rebarrel it by the time you get thru.

ss40_70
11-05-2011, 01:29 AM
bigted
i have a wolfgang built rifle with a mid 9000 serial number im guessing it was made sometime around 1988 or so , and there isnt any old reliable or wolfshead on the barrel , except for the b in the serial number not being there and a spring under the tranfer bar where the hammer strikes it i cant tell any dfferance between it and my bryant built rifle ...

powderburnerr
11-05-2011, 11:59 AM
The wolfhead on mine are under the forends, by the action, and the old reliable is on the barrel ,on the farmingdales

if it has the old reliable stamp on the barrel and a roll marking on the left side it was made when C. sharps was the distributator ,this may also have a wolf head

and as Don says , there is a b front or back on Shilohs rifles in the s/n.
the schanable is standard on some models, optional on others

the caveat here is I only know how my rifles are marked,

bigted
11-05-2011, 10:05 PM
it is a business rifle. plain Jane with no frills...if you can refer to these in this manner! the wood is straight grain with an oil finish. the barrel is regular weight half octagon half round and 30 inches in length black not polished or blued. straight grip and plastic butt-plate. double set triggers. buck horn rear...blade front sights. case colored frame , lever , hammer , side-plate.

this is very nice as it is a very clean rifle. it lists rite now on the shiloh site for 1800.00 dollars in the same condition as this rifle. his asking price is 2000.00 for the rifle and 100 rounds ammo and a hornady set of dies.

unless there is something i don't know about concerning an early Bryant rifle ??? does this sound rite for an asking price? it really is not the rifle i am looking for but it is a very nice...in new condition rifle.

Don McDowell
11-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Business rifles have a 28 inch round barrel.
Sounds more like a #3.
If it's not the rifle you want, then I'ld pass on it and either order what you want, or keep looking. There have been some relatively basic rifles on the Shiloh available list for not much more than the asking price on this one.
My roughrider in 44-77 cost a touch over 2500 and that includes the MVA sights, hopefully it's complete and shipped in the next week or so...

powderburnerr
11-06-2011, 12:42 AM
I would say a #3 as well , 1800 on the website,everything you list is standard,, that makes the 100 rounds of brass 200.00.

NickSS
11-09-2011, 07:02 AM
I have two Briant Shiloh sharps rifles that I bought and payed for in 1992 but did not take delivery until 1995 (42 month delay) My No 1 Sporting rifle cost me $700 and my Long Range Express cost me $725. When I took delivery the prices were up to $ 1150 and $1175. The guy is asking too much for even a pristine used rifle. It became a used rifle as soon as it left the factory. A fair price would be what a new one would go for as long as it is mint and used brass is not worth $200 for 100 pieces.

bigted
11-10-2011, 09:22 AM
thank you all for the words. as nice as this rifle is i am going to pass for the very reasons listed by you. this is more then a new/now rifle and as said...the wood is very plain. rifle is pristine but not the model im holding out for. the snable fore end is nice i spose but never been a fan of any but the small type found on early Winchesters.

i do appreciate all the advise and i knew i could depend on this site to give the straight skinny on this rifle. its nice tho to have held this very nice built rifle in my hands...its the second Shiloh ive held here in Fairbanks///Egypt...kinda a surprise when you see / find something so not mainstream here in veter ville.

thanks again and the wait//search goes on.

don...would like to see a photo of yer new 44 when you take delivery. hope it lives up to your hopes n desires.

Don McDowell
11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Ted it won't be anything fancy.
I'm confident it will be just what I wanted, the folks at Shiloh are pretty good about that sort of thing.

TXGunNut
11-10-2011, 11:53 PM
In that price range I'll probably want the rifle exactly the way I want it. I don't get to write a check that big for a toy very often so I'm going to make it count. If I can find a gently used rifle in the configuration I want and get some load guidance as well I'd pay nearly the price of a new one.
I've seen Shiloh's "plain" rifles, Don. They're works of art, just like the fancy ones. A pic when it comes in would be nice, still trying to decide on the stock grade for my Shiloh. I've seen some pretty nice "standard" grade stocks and wondering if they are still that nice.

Don McDowell
11-11-2011, 12:01 AM
TXgunnut, they've got a really nice bare bones roughrider witah half round heavy in 40-65,listed at a smitch over 2300 right now.
I know of a fella that called up there today to buy that rifle and found out they had just put 6 more rifles out on the rack and after much consideration of about half of those he wanted and had the money for ended up with a hartford in 45-70 on the 2300$ range.
Shiloh's standard wood is pretty nice stuff..
When my rifle arrives I will post pics.