PDA

View Full Version : A couple of ponderisms

Beekeeper
11-04-2011, 10:17 AM
I saw these on another forum and the answers didn't seem right to me so thought to ask the experts!

If a bolt action and barrel are called a barreled receiver why is a barrel and action on a lever gun called a barreled action?

If I requires a 01 FFL to do a transfer of a barreled receiver does it require the same for a barreled action?

And finally what part of a weapon has the historical value>
Using some of the favorites as an example,
If you rebarrel a sharps in a different caliber does it lose its historical signifigance?
Martini Henrys come in just about every caliber but if you rebarrel an old one does it lose its historical value?
The question was originally about a Gahendra rifle. What part of that rifle holds the historical value?
The action? It is the part that is unique , the rest is window dressing I think!
The person that posted the question on another forum was taken to task by some of the purists who as he posted simply knock its horns off and wipe its posterior and hang it on the wall and say they are preserveing history!

How about some answers

beekeeper

Ickisrulz
11-04-2011, 11:14 AM
You're reminding me of an artilce written by or referencing Doug Turnbull. He talks about historically accurate restorations and the effect on value. I remember he claims that as long as a certain piece wasn't owned by Lincoln or someone a restoration had little effect on value if it was done correctly.

Kind of like the M1 Garands coming out of CMP. These rifles were rebuilt some many times no one is getting a rifle as it came off the assembly line. So why not get a Special Grade that has been refinished, rebarreled and restocked? That just means it has been rebuilt recently while the Rack Grades may have been rebuilt a few decades before that.

montana_charlie
11-04-2011, 01:08 PM
If a bolt action and barrel are called a barreled receiver why is a barrel and action on a lever gun called a barreled action?
The receiver for a bolt action rifle may have a sear in it that can be pulled down to release the striker in a bolt. But that is about the only moving part you will find in a bolt action receiver. Everything else is contained in the bolt and the trigger group.

Basically, it is just a steel tube with some areas milled away.

The receiver for a lever gun contains a (or can contain) a complete 'firing system' of interrelated moving parts.

That is "an action"

CM

oneokie
11-04-2011, 04:58 PM
If I requires a 01 FFL to do a transfer of a barreled receiver does it require the same for a barreled action?beekeeper

The part of a gun that contains the firing mechanism or the firing mechanism is attached to is the part that requires a serial number, thus that is what is considered "a gun" for record keeping purposes.

1Shirt
11-08-2011, 02:47 PM
For what ever it is worth, I find other things more important to ponder!!!! Like "how did Obozo get elected?", and "Will our news media ever report on a neutral basis?", or "does the 2nd. ammendment mean anything to liberals?".
1Shirt!:coffee:

mroliver77
11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
WShen I got my Rem rolliing block that is built from a smokless military action and a kit from Numrich I looked around for a place to learn more. I stumbled into a collectors site and asked a couple questions.

First off they were very snooty! Then they told me that it had no value as it was not original. On their sight was a selling area. My action without the barrel and stocks was worth more than I paid for the entire gun! sigh. Collectors are a breed of their own!

From what I can tell if it is untouched from the factory it is worth the most. Some guns are worth more rusted and unable to fire than they would be if restored. Turnbull is very proud of his work!(And deserves to be.) His restorations do command big money.

I consider levergun actions recievers as they have the serial #
J