PDA

View Full Version : Pictinny base vs weaver base

tackstrp
11-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I am looking at brownells url for blank rail stock. Are the ears or place where the rings attach different between a Pictinny or weaver base.
thanks. Just looking the pictures i cant tell the difference.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9851/Product/BLANK-SCOPE-RING-BASE-STOCK

Iron Mike Golf
11-03-2011, 04:19 PM
The slots in a Picatinny rail are wider than a Weaver. Weaver rings can fit in a Picatinny slot, but not vice versa.

Spacing between slots is different. That would apply to one-piece mounts, though.

kelbro
11-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I have encountered the variations that IMG mentioned. Picatinny works well for me. It allows me to swap optics without having to re-set and re-level my rings.

Wally
11-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I use them on a few .22 RF rifles. The Marlins have a narrow 11mm groove that makes it a bit tough to use Weaver style rings...the Picatinny makes attaching a scope a snap. And when removed and reinstalled the zero remains the same.

44man
11-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I just bought the Weaver blanks and milled more slots. I worried about size too.

Rokkit Syinss
11-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Picatinny for me, return to zero if you ever dismount the rings, many more options for different rail mounted gizmos if you're into that. Plus you can easily get iron sights that will mount to Picatinny but not Weaver so your rifle can be set up for both glass and irons.