PDA

View Full Version : Londonserry, VT

redneckdan
11-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Anyone here from Londonderry area? I am looking at a job possibility there.

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I use to live in Chester . . . not much going on there, mostly catering to the ski industry . . . Bromley, Stratton, or Okemo.

Cold there in the winter, but probably not colder than MI!

square butte
11-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I live in Chester - just down the road a piece.

felix
11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Used to be a great BR smithy in Manchester Center years ago. That's 15 miles by road west of Londonderry. Beautiful area. ... felix

Duckiller
11-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Vt. and NH are both colder than Mi. Great Lakes keeps Mi warmer until they freeze Dan I was in the Army in Hanover NH. same latitude as Traverse City Mi. Hanover was a lot colder in the winter. Nice country in the summer. Lots of small trout streams and good hunting. Good luck on the job search.

jcwit
11-03-2011, 09:16 PM
HaHa, Houghton, Mi is a far cry from Traverse City, Mi.

frkelly74
11-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Up on the Keweenaw you do start to see sub arctic plants. Labrador tea and Thimble berries come to mind. I love thimble berries. You have to get them during the three or four days when they are ripe, between ice out and freeze up . I spent the summer of 72 up in Houghton and one day It was so hot I broke a sweat, it must have been nearly 70 degrees in the heat of that day.

Duckiller
11-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Went to Tech when Lake superior froze for the first time since the invention of the airplane. It was COLD! NH and VT are colder than Mi as long as the lakes are open. Houghton does get hot. Got second degree sunburn running a stadia board up and down Mt Ripley (ski slope) during a survey class. Summers are nice in New England although I spent most of my New England summers on the Greenland Ice cap. Great fun.

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
May is Black Fly season in VT, Then the Mosquitos take over!

Most all there snow from the weekend is gone now . . . My Dad and brother live in Chester, I talk to my Dad most every day!

Were going up to visit for Thanksgiving . . .

[smilie=s:

Three-Fifty-Seven
11-05-2011, 09:50 AM
My wife lived for 4 years in Marquette - Harvey, MI area, she says that it was colder, and windier in MI, compared to the 10 years she lived in VT!

Dan Cash
11-05-2011, 10:13 AM
If you want a real job that pays well enough to compensate for cold winters, look at North Dakota. Our official unemployment rate is a bit over 2% but jobs are going begging for want of workers.

Bret4207
11-06-2011, 07:56 AM
The only problem with Vermont is that it isn't full of Vermonters anymore. It's full on NYC, Mass, Ct, NJ types. And it's not that they are bad people, it's just not Vermont anymore.

square butte
11-06-2011, 12:43 PM
You have it right - And for us, the best of Vermont is/are the old timers and natives. Just not enough of em to overpower the bad politics.

Bret4207
11-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Well, you share the same problem with the Adirondacks and Northern NY. When the citidiots out number the natives, things go downhill fast.

redneckdan
11-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Also looking at a position over near West Point, NY? Any info on that AO? How easy/cheap is housing to come by?

El Gato
11-06-2011, 06:00 PM
The West Point area is expensive to live in since all the hipsters and yuppies moved there from NYC. You could probably find cheap housing in Newburg but the place is a very dangerous place to live. I think you would like the Ft. Drum area if there are any positions available there...all my MI friends loved being there...more places to shoot as well.

redneckdan
11-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Hipsters. I hate hipsters. If there is anything on a ski hill dumber than a park rat it is a hispter in skinny jeans and no hat/helmet/ear muffs at 10F.

Janoosh
11-07-2011, 08:04 AM
The West Point area. East of the Hudson River. Housing is expensive as it's Westchester. West of the Hudson, housing is cheaper, but not by much as you're close to Manhattan. Newburgh,,on the other hand...inner city Newburgh.... I wouldn't live there. Newburgh, suburbs.....nice area. With both those areas in housing costs, remember, you're within 60 miles of Manhattan. A number of Gun clubs and ranges 30 mins around Newburgh and West Point. Good hunting areas also. I live near those areas.

square butte
11-07-2011, 03:01 PM
If I had my choice between the two, it would be Vermont for sure. Not sure what you need to know - but feel free to PM me with questions - or will be happy to have a phone conversation with you abou any specifics you may want. I'm just 9 or 10 miles from Londonderry

grisy11
11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I live in a part of Chester vt and its called Baltimore.Its pritty cool to see how meany members live so close in this part of the state.

Grisy11

Bret4207
11-08-2011, 08:04 AM
West Point? Let me put it this way- that's the general area where Hillary lives. 'Nuff said.

redneckdan
11-09-2011, 11:17 AM
OH NO NOT THE HILL-DA-BEAST!!1!!1 I'm not gunned heavy enough for that, ric, still got that 458 win mag?