PDA

View Full Version : My first post

Grant44Mag
11-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Hello all, new to the forum and have a few questions. Im sure that these questions will sound redundant to members that have been here a while, but much like when I started reloading I had to ask alot of them to get a handle on it.
First I am reloading for a SRH in 44 mag with a 7 1/2 barrel. Id like to shoot more at reduced costs. I am currently reloading with Jacketed boolits and H110 powder. Looking at the cost of cast bullets I surmised that shooting cast bullets would save me some $$'s. However, liking the velocity and the ease of reloading with the 110 powder while using cast boolits has presented another quandry. After researching cast boolit loads I did not find many loads using this powder, and also the cast boolits that offer loads that use H110 are just about as expensive as a jacketed boolit. As far as casting My own? I dunno.. after reading about the tinsel fairy and her way of depositing gifts of molten lava on ceilings and walls and clothing, I'm not sure that this is for me. lol I have looked at Oregon Lazer cast, and a few other boolits that can use the 110 load, but they are pricey. Id like to get some info from you Guys that do this stuff all the time. Should I try casting? Can I make my own boolits that will stand up to H110/296 loads? Or should I rethink things? Also, are there inexpensive boolits available here or elsewhere that will do the job? I have seen Missouri bullets, and other manufacturers selling boolits at a much reduced rate than the one previously mentioned. About My shooting.. It will mostly be for Coyotes, and for protection in Lion country while calling Coyotes. So, should I cast My own? Reduce my loads down to a FPS that would reduce leading? Any help would be appreciated. I have no experience cleaning a leaded barrel, so that will most likely be a future question, depending upon the advice I get to my first post. So be prepared! lol
Sorry if My first post was drawn out into an essay, But I do have alot of questions regarding handgun reloading. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks.

Grant.

Dennis Eugene
11-02-2011, 10:17 PM
First just castin' handgun bullets for plinkin' is not rocket science. If it was I wouldn't be able to do it. And it ain't all that dangorus or as clumsly as I am I'd be dead. Fear not you to can cast bullets that will be as good or better than any you can buy and you can learn to do it in a matter of hours not weeks months or years but hours. And lastly Welcome to the site. Now start saveing money 'cause if your anything like most of us here your going to spend a lot to save more. Dennis

Love Life
11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Welcome aboard!! Stick around for a while and you will wonder why you even considered buying cast bullets.

Where are you from? Hunting Coyotes in lion country sounds like the west coast to me!

As for all your questions ask away. You will soon have more info than you know what to do with.

quilbilly
11-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Welcome to our group. You will find us to be a pretty nice bunch of people who have a lot of reloading experience with both jacketed and cast.
First I would absolutely cast your own eventually. You should find that you can shoot your own cast for about 8 cents a shot or less and when you prorate in the lead furnace (assuming it is a Lee) and also the cost of a Lee mold, the whole thing is paid for very quickly.
I don't load a 44 mag but I do load a 41 mag similar to your rig. I would save the H110 for your jacketed load and pick up a can of Unique. Since you already have a bunch of cast bullets from a manufacturer, I would start experimenting with loads (maybe a dozen per) giving an MV of about 900 and work up 100 fps until you get to 1200. After each dozen, take the cylinder out and check for any sign of problems.
In my 41, I am using the Lee 210 gr tumble lube and have been up to 1300 with no problems before asking myself why I was beating myself up so backed off. Elmer Keith dropped bears with his 44 at far lower muzzle velocities than 1200. There are no degrees of dead.

Boolseye
11-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Definitely cast (what did you think we'd tell you:kidding:)
THere are any number of gas checked (or even plain based) .44 molds that you can heat right up. Shoot, the basic Lee 240 grainer with a gas check will more than do the job. Cast, by all means.

Grant44Mag
11-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome Guys.. I only recently purchased some cast boolits "which I have not recieved yet" they are supposed to hold up to the 110 loads. I guess the main reason that with a case when reloading, the chances of a double charge is less likely than a powder that fills over half the case. Im in Kommiefornia, never called in a Lion here, but did last year in Nv. It was a cool experience. I have read good things about Unique powder as well quillbilly so I will keep my thoughts open on that powder as well. Looks like it produces quite a few more rounds per pound than the 110 does. As I said, all tips are welcome. If I were to start casting, Im sure that the questions wiould pile up even more. But you do have My attn! Thanks again.. Cheap casting reccomendations would be appreciated.. Pot, heater, Molds, lead mixture, wads, This is like starting reloading all over again. Please keep the tips coming I appreciate all of the info!

Love Life
11-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Cheap casting recommendations? LEE PRECISION is the only name I can think of there. Their equipment gets the job done quite well for the price point. What part of California if you don't mind me asking? I am right on the California and Nevada border.

Unique is a powder that always has a place on my bench. I cant recommend much for the 44 Magnum, but if you ever get into 38 special/357 Mag, 9mm, 45 Colt, or 454 Casull give me a holler.

Grant44Mag
11-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Love Life. Im in Oakley Ca. On the Sac Delta. Your reccomendations on Lee set Me Back.. When I started reloading I Bought a Lee reloading kit. It was cheap, but produced good ammo. I went against all of the posts that said " Buy the Best",,, I have upgraded alot of equip since then, however I have since passed that Lee equipment to new reloaders looking to learn as I did. Molds, Heaters, lead mixture will be all new to me. Thusly, I need reccommendations for this new venture. Thanks for the reply! Im open for part numbers and equipment needed to satisfy this curiosity of slinging lead.

Love Life
11-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Lee makes pretty decent casting equipment. I put it to my buddy like this. You can spend $250 for a RCBS pot that will drip a little or you can pay $60 for a Lee pot that will drip a little. You can get into casting as cheap or as expensive as you want. I would start with the following:

1. Lee 10 or 20 pound pot. I throw the option out there because you can start with a 10 pound pot, but the second you empty that pot casting nice boolits you will wish you had bought a 20 pound pot. Both of the ones I am talking about are bottom pour, but you can ladle cast with them as well. Prices are very decent and good quality for the money.
2. Moulds- I would start with a 2 cavity just to learn the ropes. Lee has good designs and the price is right. RCBS and SAECO make outstanding moulds, but they are a bit spendy. Lyman is iffy.
3. Alloy- Wheel weight alloy is my favorite. You can scrounge wheel weights for free and smelt them, but for your first time casting I would order some that was already smelted. There are way to many alloys and uses for said alloys to cover here.
4. Safety Equipment- Jeans, boots, long sleeve shirt at first, good leather gloves, face shield (at first).
5. A way to size and lube boolits (if sizing is necessary) You can't go wrong here with Lee sizing dies and LLA. Some people hate LLA, but it always works for me. Be careful. A little goes a loooooooooong way!

I covered some of the basics. Some of the much more experienced here will chime in and fill in the blanks. Oh yeah. Read a book on casting.

Blacksmith
11-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Grant44

There are many things with making and shooting cast that have to be learned and some are not obvious. Most on this forum are continuously learning. The answers to most questions can be found in the stickies or by searching the forum. You have a lot of reading to do but it is not rocket science and the members here will always help.

First the most important thing in shooting cast is size! The size of the Boolit (thats what we call cast) and its relation to the size of your barrel both bore and rifling and the size of the cylinder throats and forcing cone. Also you will want to clean ALL the copper fowling out before shooting cast, copper in the barrel is one cause of leading.

With well designed boolits of the proper hardness you don't need to drive them at high speeds to get good expansion and solid kills. Slower boolits use less powder and shoot cheaper, you also get longer case life and fewer gun repairs.

Explore the many sections here ask some questions and soon you'll be as crazy as the rest of us. By the way the more information you give in your questions the better answers you will get.

Fair warning stay away from the Swapping and Selling section and the Group Buy sections or you will be spending all the money you wanted to save.

Welcome aboard.

Blacksmith

MtGun44
11-03-2011, 01:05 AM
"hold up to H110" - Not really the right attitude. You can make cast boolits work well at
any level for a .44 mag, but it is not that they have to 'hold up', it is that they have to be
fitted properly to your gun's dimensions.

An old wive's tale that dies hard is that you have to have a "hard" boolit to work at high
velocity. This is hogwash for pistol velocities, even max in .44 mag and .357 mag. The
one in line right behind it, and just as false, is that you must have a gas check for a
hot magnum load. Baloney!

Fit is the most important issue, and then boolit design and lube choice.

Read up and ask questions. You can do this, no rocket science required, but careful work
and attention to detail and you will be fine.

Bill

Grant44Mag
11-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I know that when I started reloading it was reccommended to Me to get "The ABC's of reloading" book. Is there a similar book that you guys use/like for casting?

Grant

Boolseye
11-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Yup. It's called Castboolits.com. Seriously, this is the place. If possible, get together with a fellow caster and watch him smelt, watch him cast. If that's not possible (and even if it is), hang around here and get your ducks in a row, then go for it. The Lee stuff is good–the 20lb pot is great (model 4-20), the molds work fine and drop good boolits–you can always upgrade, but I haven't yet found the need. Start keeping your eye out for any lead–wheel weights, old flashing, bar solder, and of course, range lead. It's a lot of fun and very satisfying when you start putting your own bullets downrange.

Wayne Smith
11-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I know that when I started reloading it was reccommended to Me to get "The ABC's of reloading" book. Is there a similar book that you guys use/like for casting?

Grant

From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners by Glen Fryxell and Robert Applegate. Download from this site or from LASCUS.

P.K.
11-03-2011, 08:17 AM
I can't belive I beat him to it but one of our members likes to shamelessly (kidding) promote an excellent read from Glen Fryxell and Robert Applegate.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

I'm starting to think ( because it has helped me tremendiously) it should be a beginner "must read."

Welcome aboard and to a new hobby that will be satisfying and addicting. ;-)

Boolseye
11-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the tip. Didn't know about that book.

P.K.
11-03-2011, 09:10 AM
From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners by Glen Fryxell and Robert Applegate. Download from this site or from LASCUS.

Caught me while I was fixin' my grammar. ;-)

tward
11-03-2011, 10:12 AM
I have been casting off and on for 20 years. I started out with a Lyman mould because they were the biggest game in town. I have since gotten some Lee moulds, sizers, dies and priming tools, yes they are not always perfect but can usually be made to work well or Lee will fix them. Downloaded the Fryxell book last week, I cannot believe how well written it is and comprehensive! Down loaded it because Fryxell is a good writer but now I realize how knowledegable he is as well. Don't bemoan the passing of the golden age of casting, we are living in it! Tim:D

firefly1957
11-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Welcome I am sure you will find very good information here. I cast for the 44 Magnum that is my model 29 and a factory Winchester 240 J bullet a frame later and the gun was a blur in recoil.(my avatar) I hunt with a discontinued Lee 255gr mold it casts a 262 gr bullet with wheel weight lead which I seat in the first lube groove and load with IMR-4227 powder. I think you will want to look at a "KEITH STYLE" bullet that has a lot of the lead out of the case (for more powder capacity) and a flat point and sharp edges they are accurate and hit hard causing a good wound channel. You will have to decide about weight and some of that has to do with what your gun shoots well . Personally as a starter I would suggest a bullet without a gas check of at least 250 grains (in Keith style") this will give you a deep penetrating bullet with decent stopping power. I cast a gas checked version of this bullet and also a NEI 325 gr if you would like to try them PM me with your address . If you want just a small game /plinker load a lighter bullet will work fine but I think the heavier bullets shoot a little better and lead less at full velocities. Unique give decent performance H-110 is for maximum loads and may not give the flexibility you will want there are many powders you can use in your gun good luck and keep safe. Being new if you do not know what PM is it is Personal Message to do it you click on persons Avatar to get to his page then under his handle in big letters is send a message click on that it will give 2 options email is good also.

ErikO
11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
A buddy of mine reloads 44mag and swears by Ramshot's Enforcer.

Welcome to the site! I'm just a looker-on at the moment but can help with non-casting questions. I may even be right a time or two, if you ask enough questions. ;)

Wayne Smith
11-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Personally I can't imagine reloading my 44Mag without 2400 - it is usually my first to to powder for that round.

rockrat
11-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I started with a Saeco 10lb pot about 40 years ago. Still use it. I bought a lyman 429421 mould when I got old enough to get a pistol and wore out a 29 smith shooting that boolit thru it. Using either WW 231 or WW 296 loads thru it. Cast out of wheelweights.

Don't know about the Lee pots. Drip too much for me. See if you can find a good used Saeco or Lyman pot. Picked up a lyman 61 for $40, works great. Also have the RCBS 20 lb pot. They drip a little, the lee drips alot.

Figure a used pot, sizer and mould might set you back $150-200, but will last a long time. As said, still using my Lyman 429421 mould and Saeco pot, I bought 40 years ago. Did wear out the lyman 450 finally.

Check out the swapping/selling section. The Lee 255 would be a good one to start out with, or maybe you might find a used 429421 lyman or RCBS 44-255K mould there. I would use plain old wheelweights. You might try air cooled and drop some from the mould into water (to harden them) so you can try those also.

You should be able to find a good used lyman 45 or 450 to size, lube, the boolits. Measure the chamber mouths of the cylinder to see what sizer diameter you will need for the boolits. Get your lube from White label lube, maybe the 2500 version. Cast, load and go shoot.

Welcome to the best cast boolit site there is.

firefly1957
11-03-2011, 04:27 PM
I was going to add to my post do not be afraid to start simply/with a iron pot and a bullet pouring ladle you can always move down to a bottom pour pot later! (yes I am razzing a few people both methods make great bullets) I started with a Lyman bottom pour pot and switched to Iron pot and a Coleman gas stove I prefer it but that is just my opinion Everyone has their own ideas and methods.

hiram1
11-03-2011, 06:13 PM
WElCOME TO THE PLACE where you will find real good guys here thay will help you and have fun doing it.and it is good help and thay go out of there way to help you.all the mods on here are good guys and are happy to get with you to help. if you ever need lube grooves or used post holes thay got them here to.yes it is fun here.

P.K.
11-03-2011, 06:36 PM
I was going to add to my post do not be afraid to start simply/with a iron pot and a bullet pouring ladle you can always move down to a bottom pour pot later! (yes I am razzing a few people both methods make great bullets) I started with a Lyman bottom pour pot and switched to Iron pot and a Coleman gas stove I prefer it but that is just my opinion Everyone has their own ideas and methods.

I too prefer the pot 'o'er fire approach. Colman 2 burner when it's warm and a little 1lb bottle stove for in the garage.

firefly1957
11-03-2011, 09:25 PM
P.K. I am glad I did not start a war with the bottom pour guys I saw someone else do that in another thread! I use gasoline it is cheap compared with anything else well unless I set up for wood. Actually I have a Kalamazoo wood cook stove in the farm house ? just thinking I wonder if it would get hot enough to melt lead.

Grant44Mag
11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks again for all of the info! Looks like I have my work cut out reading for a bit. It will take me a little time to absorb all of the new info, I sure appreciate the help thus far! What a great group oif shooters!

Grant.

P.K.
11-03-2011, 10:56 PM
P.K. I am glad I did not start a war with the bottom pour guys I saw someone else do that in another thread! I use gasoline it is cheap compared with anything else well unless I set up for wood. Actually I have a Kalamazoo wood cook stove in the farm house ? just thinking I wonder if it would get hot enough to melt lead.

A wood cooker will do the trick, problems abound when temps are in the mix. "The Patriot" in one small shot showed all of America how everything started. Wood is dependant on what is used and how much? Pine is prolly the worst. Hot and fast.

Oak is the best burner I know of. HOT and LONG.

Maple has properties that look like oak.....SAP is the give.

Ash is the BEST to cast with. It's hard as iron and burns Loooooong.

Never been past OK, so I'm sure there are other woods.

Wars? LOL!

I guess I'll light one off here. Anyone using electricity to heat a pot is a blaspheamer......

gandydancer
11-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Hello! & welcome go to factorysales.com or call 1-866-768-7576 all prices are about 25% off retail from LEE good luck. Tom GD

P.K.
11-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Hello! & welcome go to factorysales.com or call 1-866-768-7576 all prices are about 25% off retail from LEE good luck. Tom GD

Serrious new guy, disregard. BY me p.k.

Adam10mm
11-04-2011, 12:22 AM
H110/W296 is best used for "magnum" velocity.
#2400 is a great medium powder as is Unique.

For good, economical cast boolits to try, I always recommend Missouri Bullet (.com). Brad casts great boolits and prices are very reasonable. Shipping is lightning fast.

Yes, if you hang out on this site you will eventually cast your own. It's generally the most economical, especially if you get free lead. Wheel weights (WW) do just fine at any .44 Mag velocity. Elmer Keith used "hardcast" boolits at about 11 BHN, which is about WW hardness.

Grant44Mag
11-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks again for all of the help. I have some ideas to go on, and I appreciate all of the info! I have my readin glasses on as we speak.

Grant.

Boolseye
11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks again for all of the help. I have some ideas to go on, and I appreciate all of the info! I have my readin glasses on as we speak.

'Zat a hint, Grant? Should we shut up now?:bigsmyl2:
Get a bunch of us started, shoot, we'll forget what the original question was:confused:
Enjoy yourself, and keep it simple.

Bullwolf
11-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I started reloading 44 magnum with heavy J-word fodder, and I would run Hornady 300 grain XTP projectiles behind some factory recommended stout load of W296 or H110.

After I bought my first 44 magnum mold at a gun show, I started loading my own cast boolits using my standby favorite powder, Unique.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=539&pictureid=3880

I also was tumble lubing, or dip lubing using Lee Liquid Alox. This was long before I had discovered the virtues of Recluses 45-45-10 tumble lube.

If you are curious about tumble lubing, I strongly recommend reading Recluse's Tumble Lube--Made Easy & Mess-Free posting.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

It was so good it was made into a well deserved sticky.

I have used Alliant 2400 a fair bit as well. The thrifty part of me really enjoys the powder conservation, as well as the price savings that I get when using Unique and 2400.

I quickly lost interest in the heavy 300 grain J word stuff I was playing around with, and I found that I enjoyed casting my own boolits, and making my own hand loads more. A not so small bonus was that they shot more accurately too.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=539&pictureid=3885

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=539&pictureid=3884

I still enjoy shooting and loading my own cast boolits in 44 mag and 44 special. Unless I am looking for a really heavy full power load, I don't use W296 or H110 much anymore.

Unique seems to be my go to powder these days for 44 plinking and target shooting loads. I am sure that they would also be fairly serviceable if pressed into duty as hunting loads.

Somewhere around 10 grains of Unique is a pretty healthy load for me behind a 240 grain cast boolit. I can get well over 1000 FPS with it, and it's often quite a bit more than I need.

I like reduced loads of Alliant 2400, but you get a bit of unburnt powder when you load it really light. It performs really well and is much cleaner at the top end, and it perform very close to W296/H110 at closer to maximum loadings.

If you really need more velocity, or you especially really enjoy recoil, you can always go with a heavy load of W296/H110 to get you into the 1200-1300 FPS range.

Heck all that being said, most of my 44 shooting these days is done at 44 Special velocities.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904eb4af933c5db.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2599)

A few of my favorite reads if you can find them are the ABC's of Reloading, even though the info is a bit dated now. I still enjoy the RCBS cast bullet manual, and the Lyman #3 and #4 cast bullet handbooks are invaluable.. The Lyman 49th edition is a great resource for any hand loader.

As the others have said, be sure to check out "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners". It's available online, and its free, as well as being chock full of great information for a new caster, or an old one.

- Bullwolf

Recluse
11-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Serriously?

Where's the SPAM hammer?

Why are you calling for a SPAM hammer? The longtime member gave reference to a "retail outlet" version of Lee's website, who is also a sponsor of the board.

We recommend that site quite a bit and have over the years.

:coffee:

David2011
11-05-2011, 03:49 AM
Grant,

+1 for what Wayne said about 2400. It's my go-to for cast boolits in my .44 mag. I'm shootin' my boolits in a 14" Contender and velocity doesn't seem to be a problem. I get abotut 1600 fps from a Ruger and Contender only load of 2400 and a Keith Type RCBS boolit that casts at about 255 grains. It is lube sized and gas checked. The recoil from that long, perfectly sealed tube is another matter- a real eye opener!

Welcome to the group!
David

Boolseye
11-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Bullwolf–those are beautiful. Great HP mod...there is so much aesthetic appeal to our hobby.

Grant44Mag
11-05-2011, 06:52 PM
'Zat a hint, Grant? Should we shut up now?
Get a bunch of us started, shoot, we'll forget what the original question was
Enjoy yourself, and keep it simple.

No Not at all! I appreciate the advice.. I also did not want to appear as a troll asking redunant questions.
BullWolf.. good looking rounds there. To an experienced caster they must be easy to make. But for a newbie.. Wow! I dont think that my Jacketed bullets look that good. I just recieved my 200 bullets that I ordered last week, and aquired a lb of Unique powder. I suppose I had better get to reloading and see what this Ruger likes. I Like the feel of the H110, but I need to see what the Unique does. I still feel that a 44 Mag should still feel like a 44 mag. Its a new venture. Years ago I had a TC Contender with a 10" barrel. The gun was soo lite it was no fun to shoot. This revolver feels much different. I like what is happening now.

Boolseye
11-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Aw, I was just yankin' yer chain :kidding::kidding::kidding:
Welcome aboard, good sir.

+1 on 2400. It's the bomb for mags.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-05-2011, 07:53 PM
I think that casting is almost a responsibility we have, if we are shooters. If you learn to cast, you will be able to pass that information on to someone else in the future. A person can take lead of any sort, mix with other material like tin and Linotype, heat and create a boolit out of it. You will not be just assembling components, you will be creating a round of your choice. No more empty shelves to worry about. Be careful when you smelt your lead down and when you cast. Casting temps. can range from 650 to 800 degrees and that is nothing to play with. At that temperature, you can get very serious burns. Common sense and safety gear can all but eliminate that happening. I am coming up on two years of being here and I have just got the basics down. You can learn to cast usable boolits rather quickly but there is so much more you can do with alloy's you create. Learn to cast. You won't regret it at all.

Grant44Mag
11-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Charlie.. I agree.. the Govmt isnt gonna make getting ammo any easier. Looks like its up to the shooters to keep it going. Looks like its time to learn.

P.K.
11-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Why are you calling for a SPAM hammer? The longtime member gave reference to a "retail outlet" version of Lee's website, who is also a sponsor of the board.

We recommend that site quite a bit and have over the years.

:coffee:

My apologies, no link and I found it curious. I will refrain in the future. ;-)

Bullwolf
11-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Bullwolf–those are beautiful. Great HP mod...there is so much aesthetic appeal to our hobby.

Bullwolf.. good looking rounds there. To an experienced caster they must be easy to make. But for a newbie.. Wow! I don't think that my Jacketed bullets look that good. I just received my 200 bullets that I ordered last week, and acquired a lb of Unique powder. I suppose I had better get to reloading and see what this Ruger likes. I Like the feel of the H110, but I need to see what the Unique does. I still feel that a 44 Mag should still feel like a 44 mag. Its a new venture. Years ago I had a TC Contender with a 10" barrel. The gun was soo lite it was no fun to shoot. This revolver feels much different. I like what is happening now.

Thanks for the compliments on the boolits guys.

I get what you are saying Grant, about how 44 Mag should still feel like a 44 mag, but it's all about your platform, as the TC contender example you gave shows pretty clearly.

I have shot some stout loads through my Winchester 44 Mag lever action that were an absolute joy to shoot. I was perfectly fine shooting them through my 12 inch Ruger Super Red Hawk, yet those same loads are down right miserable to shoot through my snub-nose 629 Smith and Wesson 44 Magnum Backpacker.

In the words of one of the gun writers, my Smith 629 44 Mag Backpacker is a "carry lots, but shoot little" kind of handgun. Still it's quite good at it's intended purpose.

I get quite a bit of use out of my Smith 629 Backpacker, and at the end of the day, I would never dream of parting with it.

Lighter/shorter may be more pleasant and convenient to carry for longer periods of time, but it can get downright painful if you are shooting full power loads through that lighter piece.

I bet Unique and A2400 will more than live up to your expectations for 44 Magnum loads. Both powders offer a lot of versatility and are great choices for a wide variety of 44 loads. I still like H110 for the real heavy stuff.

Happy Shooting.

- Bullwolf

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904eb625a0d4526.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2609)

Grant44Mag
11-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Ok another question... I see that Missouri Bullets makes a Keith style SWC, but I see that the bottom has a slight taper kinda like a Boattail. I could have sworn I read somewhere that a taper was more prone to cause leading more so than a Flat based. ? Anyone using this bullet? Also, if there is a vendor here that makes a good Keith style boolit, you could reccomend that as well? "I like purchasing from Vendors that support the Site". Thanks again.
Grant

Adam10mm
11-06-2011, 10:05 PM
That's a bevel base and is to help with shaving lead off the bullet base when it's seated in the case. I haven't noticed a difference in leading between plain base and bevel base boolits.

Grant44Mag
11-06-2011, 11:14 PM
freakshow.. thanks for the reply. Im just trying to make sure of what I am puchasing. Thanks!