PDA

View Full Version : MidWay USA

Ben
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Anyone tried using MidWay's " New Web-Site ".......Slow as molasses on a cold winter day.

??????????????????

x101airborne
11-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Actually, I have been thinking about suing Midway USA for FRAUD. They sold me an aftermarket barrel labeled "50 Beowulf" that was not made by Alexander Arms. When I questioned "Bob", apparently the second under the CEO, he said that they will do anything they can to make money. Absolutely no remorse for cutting the throat of a "niche" market provider. Even when I said that I was disappointed in them for doing it, Bob said "I am sorry you feel that way, but we will do what we will to make money". I will not do business with Midway USA ever again. To me, it is the same as coming in my house and taking my wallet. They are a multi-million dollar a year business that feels the need to cut the throat of a small "botique" firearms provider. I am ashamed and feel embarrased that that is their view. All hail Alexander Arms!!

10x
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Midway will not ship to Canada - so , nope, doesn't bother me at all...

mold maker
11-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I've never had an unresolved problem with Midway. Sorry you haven't enjoyed the same.

472x1B/A
11-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I've been getting a little peevvvved at them hear lately too. Their E-Mail adds are for items for million-aiers, the paper fliers stink/boring, they WILL NOT ship loaded ammo to Ill., and over the last 3-5 years their shipping and handling charges are unbearable. Think I might start going to Mid-South.

Ben
11-02-2011, 08:45 PM
If I can't get any better results out of their Web site in the future than I'm getting tonight, I'm going somewhere ? ?

My original question however was " Have you experienced problems with their SLOW web site ?

Can anyone offer feedback on this question ?

x101airborne
11-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I used to live next to Midsouth Shooters Supply. Had an issue with bulk brass for the 338 win mag. being 2 cases short in the count. Called at 5:30 and the OWNER answered. Said to come by and HE will hand me the brass to make the count right. Cant get that from Midway.

After today, I will pay several dollars over midway's prices to NOT do business with midway.

Dennis Eugene
11-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Seems way slow to me but then it has always seemed way slow to me. Altho I don't go there often and don't spend much there. Dennis

mustanggt
11-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes I've had alot of experience with their slow website. Both the new and old were slow. My old laptop may have had something to do with it in part. My new laptop is pretty zippy. I've never had a problem with them. Happy with their service and products.

Ben
11-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I visited MidSouth's site tonight....no problem....very zippy !

Went to MidWay's , two or three times tonight , it is SUPER SLOW, tried 3 different browsers, I'm running Windows 7 and DSL ? ?

williamwaco
11-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Anyone tried using MidWay's " New Web-Site ".......Slow as molasses on a cold winter day.

??????????????????

Slow??? I would call it DOA. Not one single link on the home page would respond.

mpmarty
11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I find Grafs to be far superior to Midway and am happy to use their website.

bumpo628
11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah, that is outrageously slow. I liked the old layout better, too.
I like the company a lot and I've never had a bad experience.

Dframe
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Haven't looked at a midway site in a while. Not since I got charged $10 to ship a $12 product. When I called to inquire why, I was told THAT was standard shipping.

geargnasher
11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Ben, you'll more than make up the (generally, not always) higher cost of items at Midsouth in the shipping part. Midway makes you take it in the shorts when it comes to shipping, Midsouth usually only charges what actual shipping costs are.

As for the website, Midway's site has always been overloaded and undergunned. It would be a fine site, but when it gets busy (most of the time nowdays) it really bogs. New or old, it's balky and slow, sometimes timing out my browser on page loads and searches even with 12.0 DSL. Keep in mind the other end of the same "we will make money any way we can" philosophy, which is "we will cut corners and delay incurring expenses any way we can", which includes giving website upgrades to the lowest bidder, and buying the smallest amount of bandwidth they think they can get by with. I seriously doubt it's your computer or internet connection.

Gear

old turtle
11-02-2011, 09:26 PM
+1 marty. I have had excellent service from Grafs. They have a supplier of all kinds of brass including old items such as 303 Savage and at a good price. Good specials no items such as primers. Midway is not that cheap and their shipping charges seem high.

11-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Yep, about 2-3 years ago MW re-did their website and maybe even again more recently. Ya know when you hit the big time and feel compelled to out-do Cabela's you hire a web design company that is run by so-called "marketing geniuses" and loaded with 22 year old puter geeks who have ZERO experience with the customer base, the product and no common sense and really couldn't care less about it. The product is the "latest and greatest". It was loaded up with hard to navigate non-logical pathways, but Lary P. sure felt proud of it because he had spent a ton O $ for all the moving graphics, glitz and bling. I had an issue with it in the automated billing-shipping area. I called 3 times and explained the problem. No help and no effort to help. Emailed Larry P. twice about it. Got the canned message response and no correction. I finally gave up and figured a work around from my end.

So yes, it is slow and full of BS marketing bling. That has caused me to use Midsouth more and more. Even Grafs re-did their site more recently- again slowing down the whole process of shopping with them but it doesn't seem as bad as MW's.

cbrick
11-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Ya scared me with the OP. The only thing I much use Midway for any more is the web site to look stuff up and compare prices. Their shipping rates turned me off them a couple years back. I bought two of an item that was packaged in a flat formed plastic package, could have stacked 8-10 of them in flat rate medium box and they put one into two medium flat rate boxes and charged (or tried to) me double shipping, full shipping charges for each box. That incident has cost them a lot, I had spent thousands at Midway up until then, couple of bucks since. I'm sure it's not only me, I would bet there are a lot of people that now shop elsewhere. I also bet that Midway is wondering why.

Had to log on and see, site is working fine for me, not slow and all the links I clicked worked.

Rick

redriverhunter
11-02-2011, 09:50 PM
i have been using gafs alot as of late thier prices are competive and the shipping is very cost is good as well

Bloodman14
11-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Fast as a thief for me, too. Haven't ordered in a while.

Sonnypie
11-02-2011, 10:12 PM
It's working very fast for me here, Ben.
I clicked around and didn't have any unruly wait times.
I'm on DSL through the phone lines.
(Not cable, or any of those whizz-Banger services. Just Plain Jane DSL via Earthlink.)

Maybe there was a disturbance in The Force, Obie Wan Canoby?

Or maybe they fixed it. :confused:

uscra112
11-02-2011, 10:15 PM
I've often given up on Mid-South's site and gone to Midway. Just the reverse of what the O.P. is saying. Just checked, and MW site is up in a flash for me. Firefox 7.0.1

50-170-700 sharps
11-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Midway is running very slooow for me as well. But I will no longer order anything through them, Grafs and Brownells have cheaper shipping, cheaper prices, better customer service and care about their customers.

Ben
11-02-2011, 10:26 PM
I just visited MidWay's Web site again......runs fine now. Hopefully it was just crowded a little earlier tonight when I was trying to use it ? We're coming up on 10:30 p.m. Eastern time, so a lot of users may have already retired for the night and taken some of the load off the site.

jmar254
11-02-2011, 10:34 PM
You know who I miss is that little mom & pop site that the banks called the loan on and had to close up shop a couple years ago, Midway bought their stock and jacked up the prices on it.

Can anyone remember their name? I have been racking my skull for a couple weeks trying to remember them.

wallenba
11-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I went there this morming and was confronted by the new format. Then again this evening and got the old version. Wassup wit dat?

bedwards
11-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Its movin on very fast for me. Win7 Firefox 7.0.1 WildBlue Satellite internet

be

plainsman456
11-02-2011, 11:00 PM
I went there Monday to order some bases and bullets.Everything went ok till time to check out.
I tried 3 times and it kept saying my address was no good.
So I called them and talked to some dud and he did my order while on the phone.I told him to tell those that should and care about it,that their new website sucked.
Nothing will probably get fixed or changed for the better but I liked their old site they had 3 changes ago.
I also told them their monthly flier was the pits to look at,so please send me the paper from now on.

Iron Mike Golf
11-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Running fine now. I am guessing performance depends on number of concurrent users.

Johnk454
11-02-2011, 11:16 PM
You know who I miss is that little mom & pop site that the banks called the loan on and had to close up shop a couple years ago, Midway bought their stock and jacked up the prices on it.

Can anyone remember their name? I have been racking my skull for a couple weeks trying to remember them.

Lock Stock and Barrel?

Ickisrulz
11-02-2011, 11:27 PM
No problems with website. Never had a problem with the company. Easily the best selection, although prices can be higher. I offset shipping by looking for a coupon code. There's normally a $10.00 off for $50.00 order code floating around.

jmar254
11-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Lock Stock and Barrel?

Yup that be them, great prices never had a problem with anything I purchased from them.

I saved their link for a long time and checked it now and then hoping they'd come back.

lylejb
11-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Just tried midwayusa's site, seems fast to me. 1 to less than 2 seconds to load each page.

looked up rifle dies, moulds, and gas checks, no problem, except for the continual $$$$ problem:groner:

lead-1
11-03-2011, 01:40 AM
The site is actually working faster for me that it ever has. I like the new site but don't like the shipping costs which have been too high for several years.
I don't blame them for wanting to make money but they don't need to make it all off me.

Recluse
11-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Running fine now. I am guessing performance depends on number of concurrent users.

My guess as well.

I just logged off of it and it ran fast as can be. I'm downstairs surfing on my Apple Mac laptop with Firefox and DSL running through the Apple Airport Extreme wireless network.

I'm not a huge fan of Midway and they generally are my last choice when it comes to mail order. Between excessive (often grossly so) charges, the highest online prices in the gun world, and more often than not always on backorder, I only use them to get an illustration of what it is I'm interested in and read customer reviews.

Once I have the info I need, I head over to MidSouth or Brownell's. And forget buying powder or primers from Midway. . .

:coffee:

Treetop
11-03-2011, 03:20 AM
MidwayUSA's Website has been much faster for me since I switched to Firefox. If I don't buy something from them, at least weekly, Larry Potterfield personally calls me and asks if I'm feeling OK. :-P Tt.

ku4hx
11-03-2011, 03:33 AM
I'm on a very fast cable connection and I'm the first user on the line, but MidwayUSA's site has been slow and frustrating for a couple of years or more for me. In fact, they're the slowest site I frequent. And .... their search function is pathetic compared to most others.

I shop a variety of places, both local and web, and always search known good vendors for the best value. MiswayUSA is not always the best and I don't hesitate to buy elsewhere. Cheapest overall cost is not always the best value for me. Desirable yes, but other things enter into it.

But one thing is for sure regardless of where you choose to spend your money ... caveat emptor.

Tatume
11-03-2011, 06:11 AM
I just tried a search on the Midway website. It was very fast.

garym1a2
11-03-2011, 06:16 AM
I have never had a problem with midway. Web site is not the best, sometimes you can't find stuff unless you have a part number. When buying I compare midway, midsouth, grafs, carbellas, and also Titian reloading. Titian is hard to beat for lee stuff.
I just tried a search on the Midway website. It was very fast.

jameslovesjammie
11-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Site was fast for me. I'm on slow satellite dsl, Firefox.

44wcf
11-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I order from Graf and Sons when I can.

P.K.
11-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Mid-South for me. I will never use Midway for anything but product info. I'm a little biased though, being able to pick up an order is the winner.;-)

Jon K
11-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Midway website is slow.

Midway is fast to process and ship, if you need it fast.

Graf prices lately(past year) are higher than the others.
Midsouth, & Graf are slow to process and ship. usually doesn't leave their location 7 days, or more.

Reloading components...Powder Valley is hard to beat.

Bottom Line...Shop around & compare prices.

Jon

Urny
11-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I think they are getting it up to speed. I was there a bit ago and it was one of the fastest sites I've been on. Much better than last week.

P.K.
11-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Midway website is slow.

Midway is fast to process and ship, if you need it fast.

Graf prices lately(past year) are higher than the others.
Midsouth, & Graf are slow to process and ship. usually doesn't leave their location 7 days, or more.

Reloading components...Powder Valley is hard to beat.

Bottom Line...Shop around & compare prices.

Jon

I confess I have never ordered anything from Graf, but I'm a little skeptical on your claim for Mid-South. I know for a fact that they ship the next day after an order is pulled. Now if you ordered something that was out of stock then yes it may take that long. But it's up to the buyer to pay attention to what they are ordering not the supplier. Mid-South's web site is pretty easy to use and it will tell you in either green or red what their stock is on any given item, but it's not "instant." Phoned in orders are generated PDQ and it's saved me from my own mistakes a time or two just to have the person on the other end of the line read each item back to me. Cutomer Service earns loyalty and Mid-South has mine all the way.;-)

threett1
11-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Being instate with Midway, I get the pleasure of paying sales tax. Big deal.We all have to pay it when buying instate. What peeves me is Larry charging sales tax on shipping. I only use them for comparison now.:takinWiz:

dverna
11-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I use MW and others too. You need to shop around. Like one of the posters here says, "Cheap, fast, good -- Pick two"

I cannot believe anyone is more expensive than Brownell's - yet I buy from them too when needed.

MW site is working fine and I am running IE.

Mohavedog
11-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Midway has been my first "go to" for the last several years but a few policies they have are driving me to other sources. Poor customer service---On one of my past orders included a gunmakers file set. They had two sets, one set was a few $ cheaper and had a couple less files. I ordered and paid for the more expensive set. They shipped the cheaper set. I called and expected them to happily just send me the missing files. Nooooo, I was asked to return the first set on my dime and they would send the better set. It was less hassle and expense to just keep the cheaper set.
I too resent their ripoff shipping charges. If part of your order is backordered you pay additional shipping when item is sent. Even if the item is a small item that could ship for couple of bucks they charge their minimum charge.
But the thing that gripes me the most is the discounts they offer. The offer isn't good on "sale" items. So a lot of the items I may want have a sale price so I end up buying things I don't really need to get to the threshold to use the discount.
The new website is just like the old one for me, very slow at high usage times on DSL and Google Chrome.

MBTcustom
11-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I have to say that I love Midwayusa. I order from them all the time because it's a one stop shop and I can depend on them to ship what I order in an extremely timely fashion. I am sure that they have trouble with orders that dont go as planned but I have never had a single issue with them.
Furthermore, Midwayusa has provided more funding to the NRA than any other source via there NRA Roundup program. I always round up a couple of $$$.
As to the original problem, They must have been having site issues last night because I was trying to make another order and couldn't navigate the site at all. Most site I frequent have trouble from time to time including this one. I successfully placed my order this morning.

Jon K
11-03-2011, 03:54 PM
I confess I have never ordered anything from Graf, but I'm a little skeptical on your claim for Mid-South. I know for a fact that they ship the next day after an order is pulled. Now if you ordered something that was out of stock then yes it may take that long. But it's up to the buyer to pay attention to what they are ordering not the supplier. Mid-South's web site is pretty easy to use and it will tell you in either green or red what their stock is on any given item, but it's not "instant." Phoned in orders are generated PDQ and it's saved me from my own mistakes a time or two just to have the person on the other end of the line read each item back to me. Cutomer Service earns loyalty and Mid-South has mine all the way.;-)

PK,

I always order online...and ONLY what's in stock. I usually get my order 2 weeks+ after I place the order. UPS ground is usually 5 days to CA...So why the exta time, if next day shipping? Graf is just as slow if not slower. If I order from Midway on Sunday it's here Thursday or Friday(UPS Ground). Yes, they have a minimum order amount.
I still buy from ALL vendors, just depends on who has it, how much and when I need it. I have no loyalties, just like a cheap XXXXX.

Iron Mike Golf
11-03-2011, 04:43 PM
I often get a 40 hr transit time from MW to Akron, OH. I usually order around 10 PM Eastern time on Mon-Wed and it ships same night. That's with UPS Basic.

Not had orders messed up. You can set things up to let you know when something comes in stock or goes on sale too. Nice feature.

Sonnypie
11-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Oh yeah, now I remember...
I broke the extractor in my 1911A1. I ordered one from Midway and they mailed it in an envelope, 1st class mail.
I thought that was really odd. And I believe I paid $4.95 S&H.

I generally shop online, and get as far as the page where the shipping charges come in. That is often where I will close a page without ordering.
I know how to ship, I know the USPS will provide free priority mail supplies. So it burns my butt like a 4 foot flame to bite the boolit on some of these shipping charges.
I don't want to buy the crew lunch for some $12 item. :roll:

MBTcustom
11-04-2011, 06:50 AM
I know how to ship, I know the USPS will provide free priority mail supplies. So it burns my butt like a 4 foot flame to bite the boolit on some of these shipping charges.
I don't want to buy the crew lunch for some $12 item.
I hear what you are saying, I realy do, but the way I look at it is that its a service that is worth the cost.
You have two other options, find another retailer who might have what you want, but probably not, and if they dont charge you the shipping then they dont get in any big hurry to get it on the truck either.
The other option is to find a local retailer "who probably doesn't have the selection that midwayusa has". Now just figure up the cost of driving to the store, what your time is worth standing their scratching your head or trying to get help finding your item, or even arguing with the guy behind the counter about what you realy need for your setup, or listening to him rattle on about a two week delivery on custom products. etc. etc. And then you have all that pesky sales tax to deal with, and then the drive home........
When you get right down to it, I got tired of playing the games! When I finally decide on a product, I want to be able to find exactly what I want for a fair price, and I want to be running my grubby paws over it in 3 business days or less.
If there is a business out there that does a better job of providing those services, I'm all ears, but right now, midwayusa has changed everything about the way I have had to do business with sporting goods.
Furthermore, the NRA roundup has earned a lot of respect from me as well as loyalty. There are a lot of companies out there who are only interested in making a buck and the second amendment can go hang.
Also, I have enjoyed watching Larry Potterfields videos on gunsmithing and the tools he sells to get the jobs done.
I am willing to look at other companies products but Midway has done everything right and they have been doing it for a long time. They are a hard act to follow and the competition looks pretty bleak to tell you the truth.
Please correct me if I am missing something here?

Cherokee
11-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I haven't found it to be slow.

OuchHot!
11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I am surprised to hear that GRAF is slow. That has not been my experience. I ordered ammo the night of 10/26 and received it (left coast) am 11/1. They also have a NRA roundup. I have never had a problem with their website. The midway website only works form me if I log in past 11pm. Midways shipping/handling charges look to me to have been reduced over where they were a couple of years ago. I quit them for a long time due to high handling charges. If I need a bulky or heavy item I go grafs for sure.

ColColt
11-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I just went over there to see what the problem was...lightning fast for me. Using Vista, Firefox and 6G of RAM on an Intel Core i7 920 processor.

MikeS
11-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I just went over to Midway's 'new' site, and while it was as fast as their older site, I don't like the way they have things setup. In the past if I wanted to buy brass I could get to exactly the brass I wanted in a few clicks, now I have to do a search, and it pulls up not only brass, but bullets too. I've been buying from Midway, but didn't like their shipping charges, so I think I will try either Midsouth or Grafs the next time I need to order something.

adrians
11-04-2011, 05:11 PM
i have to agree with yall ,,,,, tis a tad on the slow side .
do ya think they are maybe "cutting costs" by going back to windows 95 and dial-up?:kidding:,,,,,,
somebody with a pidgeon needs to send a note to ole Larry and ask what in blue h&#l is going on.. :mrgreen:
just jesting but it is rather slower than watching paint dry:evil::coffee::twisted:

bcp477
11-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Actually, I have been thinking about suing Midway USA for FRAUD. They sold me an aftermarket barrel labeled "50 Beowulf" that was not made by Alexander Arms. When I questioned "Bob", apparently the second under the CEO, he said that they will do anything they can to make money. Absolutely no remorse for cutting the throat of a "niche" market provider. Even when I said that I was disappointed in them for doing it, Bob said "I am sorry you feel that way, but we will do what we will to make money". I will not do business with Midway USA ever again. To me, it is the same as coming in my house and taking my wallet. They are a multi-million dollar a year business that feels the need to cut the throat of a small "botique" firearms provider. I am ashamed and feel embarrased that that is their view. All hail Alexander Arms!!

I, too, have experienced Midway's glacial website. That and I have had some problems with them in the past, so I don't currently do any business with them. I don't intend to in future, either.

Just an aside, X101. If Midway did not specifically represent the barrel in question as having been made by Alexander Arms... or strongly implied it.....then you have no legal standing to sue them for fraud in this issue. (If they DID, then, yes, you ARE an aggrieved party - and have legal standing.) If the "50 Beowulf" designation and cartridge are copyrighted/ patented by Alexander Arms and Midway is violating their rights.... then THEY have legal standing to sue Midway. Not trying to burst your bubble.....your beef with Midway may be well - founded....and I do NOT question it at all. I just wanted to offer that clarification.

williamwaco
11-04-2011, 06:09 PM
I know no one cares, but I still can't use it. I thought it would be fixed by now. I used to manage large web sites. If we had a rollout like that we would try about two hours to fix it and If it wasn't working properly, by then, we would "roll-back"

Crawdaddy
11-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I just got on it and it seems fine. In the interest of full disclosure I have an 8 meg service from Comcast. Don't know if that matters or not.

Mal Paso
11-04-2011, 09:50 PM
I just placed an order with Grafs Wednesday morning and it was on the truck Thursday. They have good prices, shipping is $4.95 or free and some free haz-mat, AND they are a Sponsor here!

Midway has never charged me less than $15.95 shipping. Whatever you thought you were saving, Larry will get back in shipping. I found the shipping on a box of walnut media added $10 in shipping and will go to petsmart instead.

Mike W1
11-04-2011, 11:25 PM

Lock Stock & Barrel?

birddog
11-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I just logged onto midways site this morning and had no problems with site opening or retrieving info.Could be your web browser is not updated as some of the older browsers will create problems. I'm using newest version of google chrome.
Good luck
Charlie:coffeecom
All I have is DSL 256K out in the sticks

Lizard333
11-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Just ordered some molds and a couple of sizing dies. I like it better than the old one. Quick enough. I'm running on 1.5 mbps DSL. Plenty quick.

nanuk
11-07-2011, 05:28 AM
Midway has been my first "go to" for the last several years but a few policies they have are driving me to other sources. Poor customer service---On one of my past orders included a gunmakers file set. They had two sets, one set was a few $ cheaper and had a couple less files. I ordered and paid for the more expensive set. They shipped the cheaper set. I called and expected them to happily just send me the missing files. Nooooo, I was asked to return the first set on my dime and they would send the better set. It was less hassle and expense to just keep the cheaper set.
I too resent their ripoff shipping charges. If part of your order is backordered you pay additional shipping when item is sent. Even if the item is a small item that could ship for couple of bucks they charge their minimum charge.
But the thing that gripes me the most is the discounts they offer. The offer isn't good on "sale" items. So a lot of the items I may want have a sale price so I end up buying things I don't really need to get to the threshold to use the discount.
The new website is just like the old one for me, very slow at high usage times on DSL and Google Chrome.

I can't believe they have a return policy where YOU pay return shipping for THEIR mistake

I'd be hitting EVERY firearms forum and posting that exact thing

youngda9
11-07-2011, 02:40 PM
You can typically find coupon codes online for midway that will save you quite a bit of money. This more then makes up for the shipping difference.

Below are some ones that they recently ran. You can almost always find a couople active ones out there.

$10 off your purchase of $50 or more (regular priced items only)
$40 off $300 order of regularly-priced, in-stock products. Offer ends Midnight, 9-25-2011
$75 off $500 order of regularly-priced, in-stock products. Offer ends Midnight, 9-25-2011
25 off $200 order of regularly-priced, in-stock products. Offer ends Midnight, 9-25-2011

Papa smurf
11-07-2011, 09:01 PM
All I wanted to do is change my E-mai adress and password ai Midway USA. A half hour and many exchanges in mail later no luck. Now the end of story------ called them and told them to take me out of there system . I had been doing business with them since 1986. NO more, Grafs gets my money from now on. ---------------- Papa Smurf

Rokkit Syinss
11-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Every time I try to order something from Midway and have it shipped USPS Parcel Post they claim they don't have a rate-zone chart for that. It has always been for stuff that is not proscribed for USPS, well within weight and cube for Parcel Post but still they refuse. UPS is a non-starter, don't need a big yellow "rip this guy off because he's not home right now" sticker on the door all day nor do I need them leaving a package on the doorstep. Midway lost me as a customer.

Elkins45
11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I think it's ironic that they are being dinged or their excessive shipping when for the first decade or so that I ordered from them they offered free shipping on every order.

If you're in their system the birthday discount they send you can make some stuff pretty enticing. I just paid $79 for a 98 Mauser barrel in 270 and some Hornady 270 bullets for around $21 a box.

I've ordered some things from Wideners and some things from Midsouth and some things from Midway. I used to order from a great little company called Wiley's Outdoor Sports somewhere in MS or AL back in the pre-internet late 80's that I really miss. It pays to shop around.

mrbillbus
11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Being instate with Midway, I get the pleasure of paying sales tax. Big deal.We all have to pay it when buying instate. What peeves me is Larry charging sales tax on shipping. I only use them for comparison now.:takinWiz:

Are you sure it's Larry? The sales tax rate is set by the state not the vendor.

onesonek
11-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Midway is a last resort for me,,,Grafs has 95% of my wants and less costly usually.

Blacksmith
11-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Just ordered from Midway and it was a bit slow but wanted some of the Black Friday Sale items. You got to watch what you order and the shipping, you can keep adding things until the shipping jumps to the next big cost incriment then delete the last item and the shipping is reasonable.

I find Midsouth to be better prices, when you include shipping, for general stuff.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

But the best is Natchez.
http://www.natchezss.com/

Blacksmith

Bullet Caster
11-26-2011, 10:37 PM
I have to disagree with you on Natchez Shooting Supply. I cannot order from them because they are located in Chattanooga, TN, and I live in TN. They say that they are protecting their interests on suppliers in TN and don't want to undersell any of the suppliers. Heck they won't allow GA or AL either, so I do NOT recommend Natchez. They suck. Has anyone heard of F & M Reloading Supply. Just Google it. Now they don't have a fancy internet site and photos are almost non-existent, but they have some really great prices. Check it out. If anyone has a problem with them please let me know what problems you are having. I haven't ordered anything from them as of yet but their customer service is great. I've e-mailed them on several items and they have been really nice. They post their shipping charges on the home page just under the item descriptions and their shipping charges are based on amount purchased and you know up front what the shipping will be. Thanks. BC

Ben
11-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Natchez Shooting Supply won't sell to me and I'm 35 miles N of Birmingham.

There are some real horror stories out there on F & M Reloading Supply.

1Shirt
11-28-2011, 06:09 PM
In the last year or so have been going to GRAFs more and more due to the shipping cost factor. Also they ship faster than the competition.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Crawdaddy
11-28-2011, 07:21 PM
I havent heard of GRAFs before. Thanks for posting, looks like a good company. I'm going to try them out next time I need something.

TheGrimReaper
11-29-2011, 12:29 AM
I don't like their "new and improved" website at all. Slow and not as user friendly at all!!!

LUCKYDAWG13
11-29-2011, 12:34 AM
midway has allways been good to me

x101airborne
11-29-2011, 01:10 AM
I, too, have experienced Midway's glacial website. That and I have had some problems with them in the past, so I don't currently do any business with them. I don't intend to in future, either.

Just an aside, X101. If Midway did not specifically represent the barrel in question as having been made by Alexander Arms... or strongly implied it.....then you have no legal standing to sue them for fraud in this issue. (If they DID, then, yes, you ARE an aggrieved party - and have legal standing.) If the "50 Beowulf" designation and cartridge are copyrighted/ patented by Alexander Arms and Midway is violating their rights.... then THEY have legal standing to sue Midway. Not trying to burst your bubble.....your beef with Midway may be well - founded....and I do NOT question it at all. I just wanted to offer that clarification.

You are absolutely correct, sir. BUT.... By them putting a trade marked cartrige name on the barrel ( and I will happily post pictures) and at the time listing it on their website as "50 beowulf" I took it to be that it was a 50 beo barrel and bolt. Not only that, but they used a standard 7.62x39 bolt instead of a 50 beo bolt. same diamater, but different depth. They function TOTALLY different and have different head spacing. How important is head spacing?

When I called and complained, I spoke to the second in charge of Midway. he told me he would do what he needed to do to make money. Flabberghasted, I called Melissa at Alexander Arms and offered the barrel and bolt to her for FREE!!!!!! If that is not honest, I cant help anyone. She asked for pics, wich I provided and decided to junk the barrel and bolt. I dont care about 350.00. I care about some jack-posterior telling me that they will do what they need to make money. If that is what he cares about, I hope he chokes on that 350.00. Midway will never get another dime from me. They care about money so much that they are willing to rip off a "niche" market provider to make a couple barrels. Ya might as well walk into my house and take my kids wallet. I still have the barrel, but only as a testement to their sorry-a$$. Trophies are not always positive.

NuJudge
11-29-2011, 06:28 AM
I used to live next to Midsouth Shooters Supply. Had an issue with bulk brass for the 338 win mag. being 2 cases short in the count. Called at 5:30 and the OWNER answered. Said to come by and HE will hand me the brass to make the count right. Cant get that from Midway.

After today, I will pay several dollars over midway's prices to NOT do business with midway.

Actually, I did have this situation, and Midway did make it right. I have been buying stuff from them since about 1980. Midway can perhaps be criticized for expensive shipping, and their prices are sometimes higher than others, but they are lightning quick and everything has been as advertised.

Keith Sacane
12-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I've always had good luck and good service with Midway. Until I experience something bad with them, I'll keep using them.

kbstenberg
12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
I agree with Ben on Mid. USA. Very hard to find something spacific. Paper catalog is much better.
Tomorrow I am getting my Christmas present from my MIL. My first chronograph.

41 mag fan
12-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I agree with Ben on Mid. USA. Very hard to find something spacific. Paper catalog is much better.
Tomorrow I am getting my Christmas present from my MIL. My first chronograph.

you need that chrono broke in, just send her down here. I'll make sure it's working correctly. Don't want it to freeze up in that cold weather up there!

UtopiaTexasG19
12-05-2011, 08:18 PM
I did notice on a very small order I placed with Midway last week that they did offer more multiple/ lower cost ways to ship so maybe they are listening.....but then charged me an addtional $3 service fee for placing the small order!

One thing that irritates me about multiple vendors is that they will send you a email on a Saturday or Sunday telling you that your order has shipped. The reality is that they have electronically notified the shipper that they have something to be sent and have a shipping number but the package may not be picked up by the shipper for up to two days. I consider this to be not very honest. Until the package has left the warehouse it hasn't been shipped in my opinion...