PDA

View Full Version : Which melting pot?

bob v
11-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I know this should start something, but I'm new to casting ,on a limited budget(aren't we all) and I'm getting ready to buy a melting pot . Should I get the one with the spout on the bottom or the "plain" one that you dip out? I'm not against dippin', just think the "spout" might be a little troublesome. Let's go! give me some pros&cons and experience. Thanks.....bob v

Also, how about some dealers you guys like to deal with where they have a lot of casters needs.

fredj338
11-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I find a bottom pour pot easier to cast with, but some like a dipper. The Lee 20# bottom pour (BP) is only $10 more than the 10# & worth it IMO. If you are casting large bullets or a 4-6cav mold, 10# of alloy doesn't go far.

Old Caster
11-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Since you are starting out on a budget you need a Lee. Try and afford the 20 pound model because you will get tired of a 10 real fast because just about the time you get up to speed, you will need to add lead and your temperature will get too cold so you can start again. You can ladle cast out of it also if you want.
I like the RCBS with my Waage pot beside it so I can pour frim the Waage to the RCBS without varying the temperature but together you could probably buy 6 Lees with the money. There is certainly a difference but I doubt that it would matter to you at this time.

ku4hx
11-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Currently I use a Lyman Mag20 Furnace and I like it. I have a 1970 vintage Lyman 10# pot as a standby.

I use the bottom spout mostly but some very few molds I have prefer a dipper, but I use whichever pour method works. I like having choices.

About once a casting season (our Winter months here in the Sunny South) I have to unclog and clean the spout. No big deal, I have to clean the wax out of my ears too.

Mk42gunner
11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I started with a coleman stove and a one quart cast iron sauce pan. Very hot on the hands (even wearing gloves)to use by the time the alloy was up to temp. I could not believe how much more comfortable it was to use an electric pot.

Since you are on a budget (who isn't?) I recommend you getting the Lee 4-20, you can bottom pour or ladle from it. I like my RCBS ladle, but there is nothing wrong with the Lyman, The Lee lead dipper isn't any better than using a bent tablespoon, in my opinion.

I have bought a lot of stuff from Midway and Midsouth over the years.

Robert

williamwaco
11-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Ditto on OldCaster

Leadmelter
11-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Still using my RCBS 20 lbs pot I bought in the early 80's. Still hold the temps constant as verified by Lyman dial thermometer.
My Lee pot gave me service for about 20 yrs and I gave it to a friend who got about 4 more years out of it.
Good Luck!

Gerry

44wcf
11-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I have 2 of the Lee 20# bittom pour pots.
Have been using the for several years.
Thay tend to drip a litte but I can live with it.
44wcf

TheGrimReaper
11-02-2011, 07:25 PM
I have 2 of the Lee 20# bittom pour pots.
Have been using the for several years.
Thay tend to drip a litte but I can live with it.
44wcf

Yea, mine drip too, but not bad. Fluxing seems to help mine slow the drip too.

prs
11-02-2011, 11:49 PM
I also run two of the Lee 20# bottom pours and they have run without flaw for many years. Very little dripping with mine, but I do have to keep changing the flow stop screw as the lead levels change (head pressure changes). I do NOT render scrap in my casting pots, that is done on a propane burner and much larger kettle; only clean alloy and spru waste goes in the casting pot, othewise, the drips will be bothersome.

prs

44wcf
11-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Yea, mine drip too, but not bad. Fluxing seems to help mine slow the drip too.

What I've done to help stop the driping was suggested by someone here on this forum. Went to Harbor Freight and bought 2 pair of small cheap vice-grips.
Carefully clamp one on the adjusting stem. The added weight helps stop the driping.
44wcf

prs
11-03-2011, 01:14 PM
What I've done to help stop the driping was suggested by someone here on this forum. Went to Harbor Freight and bought 2 pair of small cheap vice-grips.
Carefully clamp one on the adjusting stem. The added weight helps stop the driping.
44wcf

BRILLIANT!

prs

1Shirt
11-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Hard to beat the 20 lb. RCBS. Going strong after at least a dozen years. Back up is Lee 20 lb, that I got used. Always gotta have a back up for casting. The wife will no longer tolerate the cast iron frying pan and dipper on the kitchen stove like she did 50 years ago, and I sure don't want to have to ever go back to that as well.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

bob v
11-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Yelp, Looks like the winner is a Lee 20# bottom pour. Thanks for the info fellas.....bob v

olafhardt
11-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Nobody ever mentions the 4#lee pot. I do all my refining and casting out of one. I dip with an old gravy ladle and have a Lyman thermometer. I cast from 90grains to 440 grains. I have a lot of fun but I don't cast a lot of boolits. Still my casting stays ahead of my shooting and reloadinng. You really don't have to spend a lot of money or time or effort on this hobby, but you can, you can start small and grow as big or smallas you want. I wish we had more small scale casters speaking up