PDA

View Full Version : Boron Nitride

Wayne S
11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Ok, I did the "search" thing, not any direct answers or results, SO, has anyone tried coating your cast bullets with hBN and if so what were your results and openion of hBN ??
[B]not interested in anything on "moly'

Sonnypie
11-01-2011, 01:06 PM
I think I'd be as apt to use beach sand as this stuff:
http://www.chemical-engineering.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/BORON-NITRIDE.jpg

Searched and got this. (http://www.google.com/webhp?rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS452US452&sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1&nord=1#hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=13&gs_id=4&xhr=t&q=Boron+Nitride&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS452US452&nord=1&site=webhp&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=Boron+Nitride&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=f&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=19557f1f637173eb&biw=1152&bih=779&ion=1)

Where did you get the idea this would be a good lube? :confused:

I'd be more inclined to try graphite first.
But I'm lazy and just use tumble lube.

ku4hx
11-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Two of its uses are as an industrial abrasive and wear resistant coatings. That being the case, I don't believe it'd be an appropriate boolit coating.

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=78

There may be other more appropriate forms.

dogtired
11-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Yes, I've been using it since early 2010. Previously used moly for one year, but quit using it because of the black mess. Switched to HBN for cleaner fingers. I don't know if it makes a difference, since I've used either moly or HBN with the current rifle.

The only thing I know is that last month I did not coat my bullets and accuracy was 6" at 100 yds. Before that it was 1.5" or so. The reason I left off the coating was because of occasional fliers. Without it, it made them ALL fliers. Haven't done any real testing, with vs. without.

I ordered this in Feb 2010.

Grade AC6111 (Barrell Treatment)

1 oz. jar: $7.95
2 oz. jar: $13.95

Grade HCPL (Bullet Treatment)

1 oz. jar: $9.95
2 oz. jar: $16.95If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me. I look forward to doing business.

Regards,

Tom Madden
TAI Lubricants
PO Box 1579
Hockessin, DE 19707

Tom Madden e-mail: nyoil@aol.com

Wayne S
11-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Where did you get the idea this would be a good lube? :confused:

I'd be more inclined to try graphite first.
But I'm lazy and just use tumble lube.
Got the idea from some "F" class shooters on the 6 BR forum and another Long range shooting forum , some NM shooters use it in making ammo for their 14 clones and "mouse guns"
I've got a 1-8 twist Shelen select Bbl. in 300/221, it will only shoot about 50 cast before it starts throwing fliers. and I'm only trying for no more that 1150 FPS

Tom Madden,
sent you'll an E mail asking what size the "bullet treatment" bNH is ? 70 nm or .50 micron ??

" I'd Pi$$ on a lawn mower stark plug if I thought it would help"

dogtired
11-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Sorry for the Confusion. I am NOT Tom Madden. I just included the e-mail exchange from him in the post so that you could contact him if you wanted. Whatever the size is, that is what was recommended by the maker of the HBN.

kelbro
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I use it on jacketed bullets. Really makes a difference in barrel heating and coppering. Never tried it on lead.

Russ in WY
11-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Ditto on what kelbro said ..Started long ago with moly, then on to Danzc[ Tungsten Disulfide , now using Boron Nitride . But only on J boolits . Can't comment on cast . My 2¢ Russ.

Dinger
03-28-2012, 05:52 PM
It's been awhile since anyone posted on this question and I was wondering if anyone might have any updated experience or knowledge they'd like to share. I was looking at the 247 grainers in the .300 Black Out as a possible candidate but I need more knowledgeable input that you guys man now be able to provide.
Dinger

Reload3006
03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
If its the stuff I think it is it makes one wicked turning tool insert we cut some of the hardest stuff on the planet with an insert called borazon which I think is made from that stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borazon

leftiye
03-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Sounds like the only reason it might not ruin barrels is that it is so fine it only polishes them.

bruce381
03-29-2012, 12:30 AM
BN is made as an industrial lubricant and works like moly it is very specific what to what type to use, I have lab samples out now testing to replace moly paste on hammer and sear faces in 1911's also is a 'sticky' powder and i think would do as good or bad as moly for coating boolits. Bn is and can be abrasive in the normal forms. If some one wants to test on boolits just PM me I will send a few ounces, bye the way stuff is very high dollar compared to other lube additves even Moly.
bruce

runfiverun
03-29-2012, 01:53 AM
you coat the bbl and the bullets the nitride slides on itself.
several high power shooters use it i know david tubb uses it [and of course sells it in his store]
boron nitride is on my boolit lube possibility radar.
i am working with other things now trying to work out a carrier suitable to make the investment.
solids do have a place in the cast world, it's just the proper application of thier delivery to the bbl that is gonna take some work.

stubshaft
03-29-2012, 02:32 AM
A friend of mine gave me a quarter pound of HBN early last year and I've used it in a couple of my barrels and have had mixed results. On a lark I tried it in my Tender 22 barrel, just to see if it affected accuracy in a negative manner. It shot as great as it always did, so no surprise there. I trued it in my 6TCU Bullberry stepped barrel for my Tender with J-words and got less fouling, and no change in accuracy. Still shoots low 3's or high 2's. Finally I tried it in my 7BR MGM barrel for my Encore. I was getting a slight lead wash with the RCBS 145-SIL because the nose was being engraved a little more than in my 7TCU and causing slight leading. Cleaned the bore and applied some HBN in an alcohol carrier and let it dry. I dipped three boolits in HBN mixed with alcohol and let them dry. Then I fired those three boolits to seal the bore and impregnate it with HBN.

I fired a total of 40 rounds after that with no leading. The accuracy was about 1 1/2" to 2" which wasn't too bad, and considering that this was the first time I shot this boolit in this barrel may be allright and may need more developement.

The boolit that this barrel really likes is the Lee 285-130. With this boolit and 18.6grs. of 4759 I get 3/4" to 1" groups with the occasional 1/2 incher. With the bore treated with HBN the accuracy did not change.

The problem with HBN is that on condoms it must be impact coated, which would distort a cast boolit. I did try a small sample of 44 TL boolits coated with the HBN/alcohol slurry in my 44 mag Tender snubbie. It was loaded ahead of 10.0 AA#5 and 35 rounds through the barrel resulted in no leading. Accuracy was about 3" @ 25 yds, but again it was the first time I shot this particular boolit in this barrel.

It is interesting stuff. The HBN coated condoms are so slippery that I usually wear a latex glove on my left hand to pick the up. It works great on triggers/sears and may be a great component to make a less sticky boolit lube. But the Felix and LBT lubes that I use work fine for me and I have enough projects on my plate for the time being.