PDA

View Full Version : 17 Hornet

Hickory
11-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Did not know where to put this but i figured this was the best place.

Got my newest Shooting Times and Hornady
has an add for their new 17 Hornet.

I went to their web site and can't find any information on it.

Anyone know anything about it?

trooperdan
11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I knew it was due to come out but that is about all. I'm excited about this .17, first time I'm been interested in a sub-caliber!

50-170-700 sharps
11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Hornady says the caliber will be coming out in March. I'm excited as well, I think that tomorrow's unveiling of Savage Arms's new line up will most likely include a 17 Hornet...
I hope so at least, my 17 HMR shoots amazing but it's getting expensive to feed. I think it will be nice to have a reloadable 17. Trail boss may yield similar velocities to the 17 HMR but with the advantage of being able to tune loads for your gun.
Jim

Ramslammer
11-01-2011, 07:36 PM
G'Day All
If it's a copy of the .17 Ackley Hornet we've been using them for years. I've had them in Single Shot Martini cadets, Ruger no3, Sako L46, Krico, Anchutz and a few CZ's ranging from 1948 models to current. Absolutely one of the best .17's developed!!!
I've also owned .17 Mach 4 , 5 .17 rems and used a .17/222 abit, so my praise for the hornet is based on comparison not just waffle.
Juddy

Intel6
11-02-2011, 07:01 PM
It is basically a commercialized version of the .17 Ackley Hornet. A .22 Hornet necked down and blown out. It appears to have a bit longer neck and set back shoulder compared to the 17 AH probably so the 17 H can be fired in the AH but not the other way around.

I have a cooper Arms 38 in 17 Ackly Hornet and it is a great little cartridge. Nice to see it getting legimitized (or close to it) so everyone can enjoy it.

Neal in AZ

JeffinNZ
11-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I would be keen on a Martini action but I had a BRNO Hornet that used to rim lock ex the magazie. PITA in the field.

DLCTEX
11-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I would think the hornet would be less inclined to have the copper fouling problems of the 17 Rem.

trooperdan
11-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Apparently Savage is going to chamber their model 25 in this caliber.

JeffinNZ
11-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I would Ruger will be into it with their Hornet rifle. Hope it shoots better!

C A Plater
11-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I am a little disappointed it is not the Ackley Hornet. That means the die set I purchased in .17 Ackley Hornet wont work and I'll still have to form my own brass. Still it's nice to see the frugal round making a commercial. I'm going to order a Contender carbine barrel from either Bullberry or MGM in the Ackley as soon as finances permit. Maybe T/C will bring out a factory barrel in the new round.

trooperdan
11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Do we know the actual cartridge dimensions yet? Could it not be the Ackley version? Certainly should be a frugal cartridge to reload for.. but not very cast boolits friendly!

TD

Love Life
11-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Oh man. Another oddball caliber to add to the collection.

C A Plater
11-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Do we know the actual cartridge dimensions yet? Could it not be the Ackley version? Certainly should be a frugal cartridge to reload for.. but not very cast boolits friendly!

TD

The literature on the Hornady .17 hornet says it has a 25 degree shoulder and the Ackley version has a 30 degree shoulder. That makes it unlikely they would be compatible but one might be able to use the brass by running it through the sizer die when it becomes available.

trooperdan
11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
I just got an email from Hornady touting the new .17... MSRP for a box of 25 is over $25! Well, they are certainly helping convert shooters to reloaders!

JeffinNZ
11-09-2011, 11:22 PM
I just got an email from Hornady touting the new .17... MSRP for a box of 25 is over $25! Well, they are certainly helping convert shooters to reloaders!

That hadn't escaped my notice either. I would hate to think what it would retail for in NZ. That said, my .223 has never fired a factory round so......

leadman
11-10-2011, 02:40 AM
I think this would be a great little round for a tapered barrel Contender carbine.

My wallet has felt the pinch of the 17HMR rounds also. Wonder if a Savage 93 could be rechambered??? Would have to be a single shot conversion unless a Hornet mag could be made to work.

1Shirt
11-12-2011, 12:42 PM
I try not to get to excited with the introduction of new ctgs. Have just seen to many come and go within a few years. It is good to remember that the vast majority of new ctgs. that are marketed are just that marketed. There is about a 99.9 percent probability that there is an old, time tested, and popular ctg. that will do anything of the newbee, and often better. At some point there is a factor of reality.

And then: there are ctgs, the 358 Win that was marketed as a short range brush gun. Big mistake, and it gave the idea that it was only a short range weapon, and it didn't sell. There are quite a few like this out there as well.

I tend not to buy a ctg. that has not been on the market for at least 5 years. By that time the gunwriters have wrung it out, and I have probably had a chance to shoot somebody elses at the range.

1Shirt!:coffeecom

softpoint
11-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Very interesting, but i already have a .17 fireball, Remington 700. Might have to see what kind of rifles are chambered for it, though.,(Need never enters the equation, anyway!):Fire:

JeffinNZ
11-13-2011, 04:25 AM
1Shirt - I understand what you are saying but here is my take. If something new stimulates the market and keeps the buying public spending money then that is good for the industry and what is good for the industry is good for us.