PDA

View Full Version : I feel like an idiot

Jal5
10-31-2011, 04:32 PM
I had the furnace at home replaced today, it was past due. As I kept looking at the old flanges in aluminum I was thinking that there was something I needed to use that for. After the installers left taking all the old stuff with them I thought about using some of it for windshield for my smelting set up! Blew that one. Must be CRS disease...can't remember @#$%

Joe

odinohi
10-31-2011, 05:44 PM
I used a old grease barrel. Cut to right hieght and a slit for propane hose and a slit for my bottom pour nozzle. Fit over my cooker perfectly. I knew I saved it for a good cause. Now to get a good valve welded in and I'll be in business.

Sonnypie
10-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Well Joe,
I lost my micrometer the other day.
Looked high and low...

But apparently not low enough.
I found it setting on the upturned end of my tumbler drum on a rag.
Right where I *@&^%$( left it when I set it down.

Sometimes you feel like a nut,
Sometimes you are.... Doo, doo, doo, doooooo....
Peter Paul Almond Joy's got nuts,
Peter Paul Mounds don't.

[smilie=l:

clodhopper
10-31-2011, 09:04 PM
I made a nice wind sheild out of an old water heater tank, the dump wanted to charge me 20 bucks to un load it there, so I took it apart, threw away the insulation on it, recycled the copper wires, and some steel, then took the sawzall to the tank.
20 bucks is a pound of POW-der!

Jal5
11-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I resemble that remark Sonny! We all do nutty things at times.
Thanks for the other ideas guys. I will have to keep looking around for some scrap metal to make the windscreen now.

Joe

JSnover
11-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Stove pipe. I can't remember how much it cost me last year but I know it wasn't much. Cut it to the right height (this stuff is thin, you can use tinsnips or some heavy-duty scissors). If you need it longer to wrap around a larger diameter cooker/burner, just interlock more than one piece. This stuff is almost made for the purpose!

Sonnypie
11-04-2011, 11:29 AM
I resemble that remark Sonny! We all do nutty things at times.
Thanks for the other ideas guys. I will have to keep looking around for some scrap metal to make the windscreen now.

Joe

I do nutty things ALL the time. :(

Incidentally, just move your operation to the other side of the house. ;-)

Ain't I a genius! :lol: [smilie=1: :drinks:

mold maker
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
It's universal. I figured out where my hammer was, when I found the half jar of mayonase on my work bench.
Now that's a cold hammer.

a.squibload
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
You guys got me thinkin' (thanks a lot, that usually means spending money).
I have a couple of 5-gallon alcohol cans, was gonna use 'em for gas,
might cut one to make a windscreen.
I cast in the garage but make sure there's airflow, wouldn't hurt to keep it off the pot.

PS: There's a flashlight hiding from me the past few days, I even remember the last time
I used it but it's not there...

Jal5
11-05-2011, 01:35 PM
iTS THAT CRS I TELL YA!
Happens all the time.
Joe

big dale
11-05-2011, 04:12 PM
I tie flies and somewhere in the vicinity of my 5 legged corner desk I lost a pair of hackle pliers...in 1993. They never did show up again.

Sometimes I feel like an idiot for decades.

Big Dale

a.squibload
11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Check between the cushion and the armrest in the big chair.
That's where my flashlight was.

evan price
11-07-2011, 04:28 AM
Could not find my 2-ton come-a-long. I know I had it. I could find the 3-ton but not the 2-ton. The 3-ton has double pullies and hooks and is a lot heavier than the 2-ton. Looked all over, almost accused my neighbor of stealing it.

Then I happened to notice the old flatbed trailer that had the spring shackle mount welds bust apart, and saw the chain and come-a-long still holding the axle in place where I had to tow it home two years ago....

Then I could not find my battery trickle charger. Durned thing was right there last time I needed it. Almsot accused my neighbor of borrowing it. Then I found it, still hooked up to the old tractor battery from the spring...

I figure my neighbor must borrow these things, then puts 'em back right where he found them...I can't be that senile...can I?

Now where the heck are my binders and tow chains?

a.squibload
11-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks for reminding me, left all my motorcycle straps in the Blazer,
been wondering...

DukeInFlorida
11-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I have been missing the powder pan from my OHaus 5-0-5 scale for a year and a half. Looked high and low. Looked at getting a new one but the $15 price tag was too hard to swallow. Was getting by with a modified piece of scrap aluminum sheet.

Last week, I grabbed a box of 44 mag boolits I had cast up about the same time my pan went missing.....

There it was, smiling like a Cheshire Cat at me. Safe and sound in with those pretty boolits.

How'd it get in there? No freaking clue!

11-11-2011, 09:57 AM
I've got a propane burner and have made a windscreen from a large tin can that just surrounds my lead pot. Keeps the wind from blowing heat aside (well, no kidding, it's a wind screen, dummy) and keeps the flames/heat along the side of the pot. YMMV