PDA

View Full Version : 54 not grouping

wgr
10-30-2011, 11:41 PM
i was trying to set the sights on my LGPR today. first 3 shots two were touching the 3rd was about 3in low. after that i fire 7 more shots and they were all low and all over about 8 in across the pattern. im shooting 85grains 2f goex,4f priming powder .530 rb,18thou. ticking. . i swab between shots amd try to load the same every time.the lube i use in a home made lube that ive had great luck with. buy the way its a flint lock. and ideas

waksupi
10-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Take a breech scraper, and be sure there is no build up on the breech face. After that, try a different lube. Weather changes can affect your accuracy with lubes.
Third thing to check, have someone else that knows how to bench shoot, try it. As much as we hate to admit it, sometimes it is the guy behind the bang switch. You may have a flinch going on from the bench.
Also check your bench technique, to be sure you are resting and holding it the same each shot. I suspect you may be hunching into the shot from the bench.

excess650
10-31-2011, 07:32 AM
With a good lube and balanced load you should be able to shoot numerous shots without wiping between. 85gr doesn't sound excessive for a .54, but you may want to try 70-100gr.

Did you look at the patches?

For sure try some different lubes. What works in my .58 doesn't work nearly as well in the .50 or .45 despite the patches lloing like they could be used again.

Geraldo
10-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Waksupi's suggestions are right on. I would also suggest reducing your load to 60gr for a little less thump on the shooter. You might be inducing a flinch over a long string. The other thing is to concentrate on follow through just as much on shot 10 as on shot 1. When I'm on it with a flinter off the bench, I shoot like a machine. If I start drifting mentally it's all over.

The other thing you don't say is how much you've shot this rifle and how it groups normally. If it's new to you, the three shots touching may be a fluke in the larger group and you need to work out a more accurate load.

docone31
10-31-2011, 09:02 AM
I took 10 R.E.A.L.s and used valve grinding compound as grease. I fired these and now the bore is slick. My groups got smaller, clean up got easier, and loading got easier.
Might try a few.
If the bore has rust, try 5 and go from there. My bore was a rust bore, from an old closet rifle that hadn't been cleaned. I got the rifle did that and it is a good rifle now.
Simple.

Maven
10-31-2011, 12:39 PM
wgr, Were you using the adjustable rear sight (i.e., adjustable for elevation)? If so, have you checked to see whether it moves side to side when you zeroed it? The problem is lots of side to side movement when you raise the [rear] sight so as to zero it for say, 50 yds. Just a suggestion that you check it. Btw, if that's the problem, once you establish windage & elevation, a few drops of blue or red Loctite in and around the adjustment screw will fix it; so will the fixed (primitve) sight for that matter. Don't ask how I know this!

451 Pete
11-01-2011, 07:53 AM
WGR, You might also want to check your patch's down range to see if they are getting torn. A torn patch on firing will scatter your group and the accuracy go's south. Maybe try a different thickness of patch material, say .015, and see what you get.

Just my thoughts .... Pete

wgr
11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
thinks for the replies guys. i got the old .54 shooting just went to a heaver patch. thinks for the help

Omnivore
11-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't have complained-- eight inches at 300 yards is an excellent group for a round ball shooter! :-P