PDA

View Full Version : Ldrs

btroj
10-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Anyone else watch LdRS on the science channel? Those guys are as into their hobby as we are.
Was impressive to see my baby brothers rocket explode. Hate to think how much money that cost.

dale2242
10-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Been there. Done that. Bought the Tee shirt.
I was in on High Power model rocketry in the early days.
I was at many LDRS in the Black Rock Desert.
Cost wise, guns or rockets, it`s a toss up.
Another fun addiction....dale

dragonrider
10-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Yea I watched it. enjoyed it, seems like a lot of fun. The tiki bar launch was something to see.

trooperdan
10-31-2011, 09:43 AM
When is this on? I'd love to see it!

Moonie
10-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I watched it last night. I really enjoyed it, sorry about your brothers rocket, it was a monster. My dad got me interested in model rocketry when I was young, didn't pursue it past about 10 years old but remember it fondly. Really doesn't compare to those rockets.

redneckdan
10-31-2011, 01:36 PM
In middle school I took a technology class where we built model rockets. The rocket kit came with an A8-3 motor and spacer rings to make it fit the body. I found that a D class engine with a layer of masking tape was a snug fit to the rocket body without the spacer rings. I cut the body to give me three stages. I stuffed three D12-0 motors in this little rocket and brought it to class.

My teacher (the guy) was all for it. The other teacher (the gal) was kind of leary. We waited and waited for good weather until finally on the last possible say it was clear with a 30 MPH wind out of the north, it was now or never.

We launched the rocket from the shelter side of the building. Went up straight until it got into the wind then started to tip. At several hundred feet the 2nd motor hang fired which allowed the wind to tip the rocket about 10 degrees above the horizon.

When the 2nd motor kicked in it took off like a cruise missile. Several weeks later a friend found it about two and a half miles from the launch point. I still hold the record for longest travel distance from the launch point.

Chicken Thief
10-31-2011, 01:41 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/nothingtoadd.gif

Bloodman14
10-31-2011, 04:04 PM
CT, we need to add that to our smiley list!

Echo
10-31-2011, 04:47 PM
'Way back, I had chums that cast their own motors, and tested them by firing them against a bathroom scale, sitting horizontal. Melted sugar and something else (potassium permanganate?) in an electric skillet, and poured it into a hollow tube with a waxed-paper wrapped dowel down the middle. I was doing control-line stuff at the time and never got involved in the effort. Not a real safe activity, which is why the community of rocketeers decided to go with factory motors, I guess.

ErikO
10-31-2011, 05:01 PM
I used to be a Rocket Scientist, got out when I 'graduated' to the 3-4' bigger ones. It was 'too expensive' to spend $45+ per time at the launch pad.

Now I just need to get my 10 yr old out this sping with an estes rocket kit and get him bit.

Unless he keeps doing as well as he is with things and gets a Crickett rifle this xmas. Then it'll be off to the range to shoot .22's instead. :)

I totally agree, costs are very simular. I keep reminding my wife that it's all cheaper than restoring vintage cars and trucks. ;)

ErikO
10-31-2011, 05:03 PM
'Way back, I had chums that cast their own motors, and tested them by firing them against a bathroom scale, sitting horizontal. Melted sugar and something else (potassium permanganate?) in an electric skillet, and poured it into a hollow tube with a waxed-paper wrapped dowel down the middle. I was doing control-line stuff at the time and never got involved in the effort. Not a real safe activity, which is why the community of rocketeers decided to go with factory motors, I guess.

Sugar motors are very nifty indeed. Sorbitol by itself works just fine.

waksupi
10-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Interesting info on sugar motors, and the comments following are quite interesting.

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/1062/28/#axzz1cOxeJoj2