PDA

View Full Version : Bevel base bullets in a Lyman 450

Sundogg1911
02-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Is there anyway to size a bevel base bullet in a Lyman 450 without taking each projectile out and wiping the lube off of the bevel base? It's driving me crazy! :( I sized/lubed about 500 plain base 44's this weekend in a little over an hour. Once I finished these I started sizing/lubing some .40's with a bevel base. After about an hour I had finished about 120! :twisted: Once I pick up my Star sizer will this issue go away? (I plan to size nose first) It's really slowing me down!

MtGun44
02-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I'm having the same problem with a Lee 158 WFN type BB .38 cal
bullet in my RCBS lubrisizer, which is almost identical to your Lyman.
I first thought of cutting the mold, but what a PITA to indicate in 6
holes on the lathe! Currently, I'm thinnking of making up a custom
.358 ejector pin with a matching rim to keep the lube from filling
in the BB. Wastes time and about 50% of the lube, too.

Any other good ideas out there?

Bill

454PB
02-13-2007, 01:08 AM
The Star sizer will cure the problem.

lurch
02-13-2007, 01:10 AM
I tried to re-lube the remainder of a box of commercial cast bevel base 44 cal. boolits in my Saeco just to see if I could get them to shoot a little better without so much leading. Never again. No bevel bases for me. I agree - what a pain. If the star fixes that - and I assume (?) it would/could given what I've read about how it works - then I might consider that in the future if I feel a huge need to do bevel bases at some point. Inquiring minds want to know.

Steelbanger
02-13-2007, 07:39 AM
I posed that same question here one time and got a few replies. What was suggested and works best with my Lee 38-55 bevel base bullet is to put a 375 gas check in the sizing die. It won't be crimped onto the bevel base, usually stays in place in the die and keeps the bullet base fairly clean.

OLPDon
02-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Steelbanger:
Now I like that idea and if the gas check sides are just a bit to tall and grab onto the Boolit it won't be to hard to file it to proper lenght so it don't grab. Going to give that a try next time I cast. I haven't used a bevel base just because of the lube.
Don

beagle
02-14-2007, 12:53 AM
Bill...I took a spare .358" sizer center punch and did just that and it works pretty well. Just leaves a bit of lube where the rim on the center punch and the sized part of the bullet meet.

Much better than using a flat punch. Lot's less excess lube./beagle

I'm having the same problem with a Lee 158 WFN type BB .38 cal
bullet in my RCBS lubrisizer, which is almost identical to your Lyman.
I first thought of cutting the mold, but what a PITA to indicate in 6
holes on the lathe! Currently, I'm thinnking of making up a custom
.358 ejector pin with a matching rim to keep the lube from filling
in the BB. Wastes time and about 50% of the lube, too.

Any other good ideas out there?

Bill

BigSlick
02-14-2007, 01:50 AM
***Ignernt newbie alert***

How about taking the pin and adding a dab of JB Weld or other epoxy to it and pushing a BB boolit in it to form a (bottom) lower punch of sorts ?

I'm sure it would conform to the bevel profile.

Then just take a little sandpaper or hit it with a grinder and smooth it out so the OD of the pin matches the ID of the size die ? It's cheap enough and if it doesn't work perfectly, sand the epoxy off and try again.

Bad idea ?

'Slick
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

OLPDon
02-14-2007, 05:43 AM
BigSlick:
Ya adding to the idea of how to do it better, great thought. It sure is something that might work well. I have not seen your post before welcome to the board. And its good to see you here. That might work well......
Don

Forester
02-14-2007, 09:52 AM
BigSlick: You just might be onto something, if you size and lube a lot of one particular boolit you could make that bottom punch match the bevel with something like JB Weld. Someone much more talented than me could even machine such a thing probably fairly easily.

Sundogg1911: I just received my Star lubrisizer Monday and it is at least an order of magnitude better and faster than the RCBS/Lyman designs. To give you an idea, once the machine is warmed up, I can run through 250-300 .45ACP boolits in 15 minutes. No problems with lube on the boolit bases. I also ordered the air feed because the thing I disliked most about the RCBS was fooling with it, now I just set the pressure on the regulator and forget about it.

Sundogg1911
02-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I will be getting a Star sizer as soon as I get paid for some sidework. (That will be tomorrow....Finally!) :drinks: so I dont want to modify one of my sizing die in the 450. I plan to get sizing dies for my BB boolits first in the Star. I'm hoping to only keep the Lyman for the oddball stuff that I don't cast too much of. I cast about 2000 .40's with bevel bases, and about the same in 9mm with bb's. I think i'll wait for the star to size them. I already have a few thousend of each, so I shouldnt need anymore for a few weeks [smilie=1:

GP100man
02-14-2007, 11:57 PM
have yall tried to adjust the boolit up , or maybe taking shot & stopping up some holes?
on my 357 boolits i had to stop up the bottm holes so lube wouldnt be on the bottom of the boolit.
just a thought .
GP
ps . im in the market for another 450, keep me in mind when ready !!

leftiye
02-15-2007, 03:24 AM
GP, I got mine on ebone. Them and the older 45s are on there a lot.

dakotashooter2
02-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Just plug the bottom holes of the die with lead shot. When working with handgun bullets it seems most dies have more holes than needed any way. I usually plug about 1/2 the holes in the die and don't have any problems.

:castmine:

OLPDon
02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Dakota:
Dare it why is it that I can't start with simple idea's I always wind up doing a
Rube Goldburg thing. Great idea.
Don.

MtGun44
02-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Beagle,

Thanks for the encouragement. I may try the 'igernt noobie' great
suggestion of the JB Weld just because it is easier to do and UNDO!:-D

Thank you Slick. :drinks:

If we could just get them to stop ruining perfectly good molds with
beveled bases!

Bill