PDA

View Full Version : 1858 Rem?

LIMPINGJ
10-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I have been thinking of getting a c&b revolver. Don't know why I quit shooting them after high school. I have only shot the Colt replicas but now I like the looks of the 1858 Rem. The ones from Cabela's seem to have good reviews on the net and they are on sale. My question is which barrel length seems to handle and balance best, the 5.5" or 8"? Those of you who have handled both lengths which do you like best and why?
Thanks

docone31
10-30-2011, 08:22 PM
The longer the better. Get the one with target sights also. The hammer rear sight is lacking for me.
They are good pistols.

Alan
10-30-2011, 09:16 PM
I like the 5.5, but that' just me. The nice thing about the Remmy's is that the front sight is a scootch too high, so once you have a load it likes, you can file it down to bring up the POI to match POA.

The newer ones seem to be a bit better finished than the one I bought in '97. That was a target model, and it is extremely accurate, but when I got it I had to go over some of the internal parts with a file before I got out the stones to work on it.

I bought a 5.5 when they had them on sale a while back, and liked it so much I bought another one.

slim1836
10-30-2011, 09:39 PM
If you get one in stainless, cleanup is easier.

Tom-ADC
10-30-2011, 11:29 PM
I've got four of them two in .36 and two in .44 lots of fun to shoot.

Alan
10-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Since you had asked about the 5.5 I didn't even mention the .36's. I have 2 of them as well. I LOVE them. Mine had been tuned and "antiqued" as a pair before I got them, and they shoot very well indeed. They will handle a good bit more powder than the '51 Navy Colts.

They are extremely accurate, and they don't kick much. If you keep it down to 22-25 gr of FFg, change "much" to "at all".

One thing I forgot to mention - get a cheap (harbor freight, etc ) hollow punch set and you can use the 3/8" or 7/16" punches to cut out felt wads. ( google durofelt. great source of hard felt) Lubed wads eliminate the need for greasy over-ball lubes, and a couple of dry ones will take up space in the chamber so you can use lighter loads.

Geraldo
10-31-2011, 08:15 AM
I like my 5 1/2" Remington, and it shoots as well as my longer barreled, adjustable sighted target Remington. The 5 1/2" .44 and 7 1/2" .36 Remingtons feel like a 6" barreled K frames to me, in other words, very well balanced. I've got stainless and blued revolvers, and they both get cleaned the same way.

Two more important words on Remingtons: extra cylinders. Use a loading stand and you'll shoot a lot more than loading one cylinder in the gun.

missionary5155
10-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Good morning
Do not overlook the Spencer models. Same basic solid frame & I like the fit in my hand a shade better. But if I was going to get just one for a long time I would save my pesos (soles here) and get a Ruger OA. That revolver will do everything plus. Have one & no it is never for sale.
Mike in Peru

Alan
10-31-2011, 02:15 PM
The very first cylinder out of my (used when I bought it) ROA cut one hole. And yes, all the balls hit the paper. It is a stainless gun w/ a blued cylinder. The bore looked like 40 miles of bad road, and the cylinder appeared to never have been fired. I took it home, swabbed the bore, and all the scale and pits appears to have been oxidized lead - the bore was as shiny as the day it was made.

I figured someone shot it w/ pyrodex, and didn't think they had to clean it. Then when the cylinder and/or nipples seized up, they just bought a new cylinder and sold it. The lack of pits in the bore would indicate BP instead of Pyro, but Pyro is the one advertised as "clean".

excess650
10-31-2011, 04:00 PM
I have a Uberti 1858 Reminton, and like it. I've not tried a shorter barrel for balance, but suspect the longer barreled revolver will load more easily with its longer loading rod.

fliintlock555
10-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Have the 1858 in 5.5inch can not complain about accuracy.
Only beef i would have is the grips are to small for my big hands(13 ring finger)
Looking to add a 36 cal.

LIMPINGJ
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
I decided to get the one with 8" barrel for the extra sight radius. Ordered an extra cylinder so now to sit back and wait. Cabela's is back ordered so 3 to 4 weeks.

Shedhunter
11-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I just shot my 1858 Remington I ordered from cabelas today. It's shooting really good so far. I'm using 25 grains of Pyrodex powder along with some .454 balls I made. Cleaned the cylinder and nipples with the ultrasonic cleaner which worked great.

Ragnarok
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I own a Pietta 1858 Rem clone from cabelas..it's a stainless version. One of the best BP revolvers I've owned and I've owned several.

Stainless steel will still rust if you abuse it and don't clean it after shooting.

I just got a Uberti 3rd model Dragoon..and it too seems a near perfect revolver..makes me wonder if the Uberti Remington clone might be an excellent revolver too.