PDA

View Full Version : Effect of barrel temp on cast bullets

arkypete
02-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Pick a reason, charging Chinese, the need to shoot up 1,000 cast Booleted rounds.
In the past I've shoot my 45 Colts until they were so hot it became uncomfortable to reload the cyclinders. I never got leading.
Using cast Boolets in a rifle with a very hot barrel can I expect leading?
Does the heat of the barrel make any difference?
Jim

rhead
02-12-2007, 11:09 PM
The effeciency of the lube might change and the bore size would grow slightly. I don't know if either would be enough to cause a problem but neither would help.

Bass Ackward
02-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Jim,

Depends on how you load. Heat breaks down lube. I tend to need more lube and a better grade of lube in the summer. With the lube break down comes more pressure. If your load was developed in the cold and you then exceed the hardness for those conditions, you will lead.

If you wait till August when you develop your load, you should be fine.

arkypete
02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Bass
I did my load developement during the summer. Here in Virginia I make it a point to put the rifles under some sort of cover rather then in the sun. They are blued and will get too hot to handle absorbing the sun's heat.
I use LBT Blue for everything.
Thanks for your response, everybody.
Jim

lovedogs
02-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Since discovering Glenn Larsen's lube I've not had any leading but I did notice that overall I've had less leading in warmer weather and the hotter the gun gets it seems to lead less. I'm kind of funny though; I don't like to get a bbl. too hot. Maybe I'm cheap. I can't afford new bbls. so I keep from getting them too hot as it tends to accelerate erosion.

jonk
02-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Dunno. But for whatever you make of it, consider this.

I was shooting some surplus 6.5X52 Carcano ammo a few years ago. Pretty foul stuff, time had not been kind. Lots of FTF, lots of hangfires.

Well one round went 'pop' and nothing else. Here, no powder just a primer went off. It lodged the bullet in the bore, a lead cored cupro-nickel jacket affair. This was after perhaps 20 rounds in 5 minutes.

By the time I walked to the car, got a cleaning rod, and tapped the bullet out, the residual heat in the bore had caused the core to partially liquify and leak out.

Lessons learned: Rifle bores get hot quickly. Always carry a cleaning rod. Surplus carcano ammo is junk.

Now in normal operation, the bullet spends so little time in the barrel, I don't think this would be an issue- but it might be enough to cause stripping of a soft lead bullet.