PDA

View Full Version : What Would Happen?

Jason30-30
10-29-2011, 10:37 PM
What Would Happen If a gas check were to detach from the base of the bullet during storage and or firing? Would it damage rifling?

btroj
10-29-2011, 10:42 PM
I seriously doubt it would hurt the rifling. I would worry more about a bore obstruction.
It certainly wont help accuracy.

Rangefinder
10-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Unless you're seating below the neck, it's not likely an issue. IF it came off inside the case, it likely wouldn't do a whole lot being behind the boolit--it's an obstruction in FRONT of the boolit that would be a problem. So long as it exited the barrel on firing, I'm thinking it's not going to hurt anything. It will likely cause irregular pressures from similar loads and the accuracy would probably suffer, but I'm thinking it's not a type of thing that would physically damage anything.

btroj
10-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I was implying it is possible the check could somehow remain in the bore for the next shot to find.
This is one of those things that is possible but unlikely.
Keep the check in the neck or make sure it is on tight. If it is loose enough to come off in storage it will likely come off in handling the bullets.

Tis is a situation that can best be avoided by doing what we all should do anyway- pay attention.

Tatume
10-30-2011, 07:49 AM
It is extremely unlikely that the gas check would cause any problem with subsequent shots. The check will be ejected from the rifle, and it will not harm the bore. The only possible problem is the shot might not be as accurate as it would with the gas check intact.

People have been putting loose gas checks in ammunition for years. A common way of assembling shot cartridges is to place a gas check on top of the powder (concave up), fill the case with shot, place another check on top (concave down) and apply a crimp.

I've also read of people placing gas checks face down on top of the powder and loading plain base bullets. Supposedly the check protects the base of the bullet.

Take care, Tom

10x
10-30-2011, 10:15 AM
snip
I've also read of people placing gas checks face down on top of the powder and loading plain base bullets. Supposedly the check protects the base of the bullet.

Take care, Tom

I have very carefully loaded plain base bullets over an inverted gascheck. My goal was to improve accuracy - the gas check does a great deal to true up the base of a cast bullet. I found an accuracy improvement with bullets with really poor edges on the base - it was simpler, faster, and easier to learn to cast a better bullet....

1Shirt
10-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Agree with btroj. Don't like to seat GC blts below the neck on bottle neck cases because of this issue. Probably not a problem with Hor crip on checks, but you never know.
1Shirt!:coffee: