PDA

View Full Version : Need a top notch book on boolit casting

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I need help picking out a really top notch book for boolit casting. Up until recently, I had only been doing the pistol bullets for .45ACP and 9MM. I've about decided I've got the .45ACP down pretty well and can make good boolits for my purposes.

But things are about to change. I've been buying several die sets and the reloading and casting equipment for rifle cartridges. So it's now high time I went back and did my homework and learnt a serious level of information about boolit casting and the chemistry thereof.

Would someone be kind enough to recommend a more advanced level book on boolit casting? I have Lee's second edition book and I have the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, but I'm feeling a need for something more advanced that goes more into depth about mixing lead and tin, casting techniques, etc.

Once again, thank you for your help,

Dave

wills
02-12-2007, 08:47 PM
You might take a look at the work in progress.
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/?yguid=133709505

arkypete
02-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Dave
Depending on the thickness of your wallet..
I found joining the Cast Bullet Association, then purchasing all of the back issues of their bi-monthly newsletter most informative. There's articles about most every facet of casting. In some cases you'll come away wondering if these fellas have to work for a living and do they have a life outside of bullet casting.
Jim

OLPDon
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Tons of info on CD Below is Link

http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detail.cfm?productid=809

Don

RayinNH
02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Dave, the link to the disk OLPDon mentioned is very good. About 700 pages of reading material. If you take the disk to a Staples or Kinkos store they can copy it on a high speed machine and then spiral bind it. This makes it much easier to read...Ray

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Gentlemen,

As per usual, this is the forum I come to and post my questions on and get the answers I need. I read and post on other forums, answering questions and helping folks there, but this is the only one where I feel comfortable with the answers I get related to reloading and in particular, cast boolits. I appreciate your assistance. I'll follow through on the suggestions, both signing up for the group posted and looking into the CD.

Regards,

Dave

Lloyd Smale
02-13-2007, 08:35 AM
veral smith at lbt bullets has a good book on the subject. He is very knowlegable but you have to weed through a few of his personal opinions. But the technical side of the book is great for a beginner

NVcurmudgeon
02-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Dave
Depending on the thickness of your wallet..
I found joining the Cast Bullet Association, then purchasing all of the back issues of their bi-monthly newsletter most informative. There's articles about most every facet of casting. In some cases you'll come away wondering if these fellas have to work for a living and do they have a life outside of bullet casting.
Jim

Besides all the good information found in "The Fouling Shot," joining the CBA may still get you joeb's casting book, which is helpful. Lyman's Cast bullet Handbook is a great starter book, even though some of the information is a little dated. (The "newest" edition came out in 1980.)

mike in co
02-13-2007, 12:16 PM
personally.....i think this site is better than any book.....
its current, its variable...as in adjust to you and your gun.......instead of a single data point, every one that has similar chimes in.......i have been reloading since 1970, shooting alot longer....but i'm here to learn, and pay back by sharing what little i know.......

handyrandyrc
02-13-2007, 04:55 PM
I really like the new Hornady guide. Just released not long ago, and has lots of new data... Even the 223 and 243 WSSM cartridges, 500SW, 204 Ruger, and other "newer" cartridges.

truckjohn
02-13-2007, 11:48 PM
What do you mean by "Casting?" Sounds dumb, but it can cover quite a large spectrum of information:

The nuts and bolts of pouring lead into molds
Mold design and selection
Cast Bullet design and fitting to a gun
Cast bullet and mold selection for competition, hunting, etc.
Alloy selection, Prep, and properties
Lube properties and preparation
Sizing/lubing
Commercial techniques
Loading and shooting cast bullets
BPCR
Schuetzen rifles
Cowboy action

My own opinions about the books I have read recently:
Precision Shooting's Reloading Primer: Definately worthwhile. Has 1 article on casting precision bullets and another on sizing, lubing, and loading cast loads for long range shooting that are excellent.

Wolfe Publishing Cast Bullets DVD -- Mostly articles out of Handloader magazine. It contains quite a few articles that are very similar to eachother. Contains quite a bit of everything on the casting process, lube application, and sizing, but most articles are 2-3 pages.

Lymans Cast Bullet Book: Worthwhile because it is cheap and commonly available. Mostly load data for Lyman cast bullets. Has some good articles about alloys, molds, and casting techniques.

Veral Smith's Cast Bullet Performance: A good read about cast bullet design and effects of those bullet designs (Alloy selection, hardness, killing power, selecting designs, fitting bullets to your guns, prepping your guns, etc.) Really does not talk much about the actual process of pouring lead.

Magma Engineering's Commercial Bullet Casting Manual: Worthwhile. Talks primarily about alloys and the Casting process. About 1/2 of the book is about using Magma Engineering's professional bullet casting equipment. Doesn't discuss bullet or mold design.

Beartooth Bullets Technical Guide: Primarily about barrel lapping, bullet selection, and choosing the right bullet for your gun. Not about casting.

Cast Bullets for the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle by Paul Matthews: Primarily concerned with several specific bullet molds for the 45-70 BPCR. Has a few brief sections about casting, paper patching, alloy, and competition shooting
Not really a book about casting.

Good luck

John