PDA

View Full Version : I scored some tin

randyrat
02-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I bought a bucket of scrap today mostly 60/40 wire $5.. Smelting it down i ended up with about 25 aprox one lb ingots nice n clean . I just had to drop one for the heck of it..... it went "tink" that should sweeten the WWs up a bit. Whats a good mix if i smelted this up with WWs for the local gun shops i sell to. I think 1 1/2 lbs to 8 1/2 WWs will copy close to lyman #2. I'll save most for myself unless i get more.

leftiye
02-12-2007, 09:51 PM
If my addition is correct, for 10 lbs of whatever, to add 2% tin would be 3.2 ozs of tin. IF your metal is 60/40, then you'll need 8.1 ozs. or about 1/2 lb. Probably be better to go 12 ozs, just to be sure maybe.

The Last Boyscout
02-12-2007, 10:38 PM
So if you added 4oz of tin to 10lbs of wheel weights that would make a good alloy that flowed into the bullet mould corners good ? Not trying to hi-jack the thread just trying to learn.
By the way, where is a good place to get scrap tin at a good price?

454PB
02-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Lyman #2 has 5% tin, but that is really more than needed for good fillout. Since tin is the most expensive part of the alloy, try 2% or 3% and see if it meets your needs. Plumbers and radiator shops seem to be the cheapest source of tin.

randyrat
02-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Try radiator shops. Ask for their scrap from their emersion/cooling tank. Stuff looks like hell in a bucket.. (tip) 1) bring/offer them a metal bucket to replace the one you plan on taking, they prefer metal buckets because the plasic ones melt when they throw hot scrap in them. 2) don't go in there with that damn desperate look in your eyes..... Sure turned out to be nice stuff from that bucket of hell. I just said to the guy; i think i can get a few lbs of tin out of this, little did i know 25 lbs...BTW they really should not dispose of this stuff in the garbage way too much metal. We as reloading bullet heads found a way to help the environment and save the planet. I feel better.

randyrat
02-13-2007, 01:06 AM
Lyman #2 has 5% tin, but that is really more than needed for good fillout. Since tin is the most expensive part of the alloy, try 2% or 3% and see if it meets your needs. Plumbers and radiator shops seem to be the cheapest source of tin. Your right 2%-3% should be enough thanks