PDA

View Full Version : I'm So Mad I Could......

Hickory
10-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Just got back from town, but while coming home I almost got into two car wrecks.

First one;
I was going down the ramp to get onto the express way (65 mph) and the car in front of me never got going any faster than 45 mph. and at the end of the ramp stopped when the semi truck would not get over. The reason he did not get over was because there was traffic in the left lane beside him.

All this Bozo would have done was speed up to 65 mph and merge into the right lane in front of the semi.

Second one;
After getting off the express way and onto a 2 lane highway I got behind someone who did not reach the speed limit fo nearly 2 miles.
I could not pass because of oncoming traffic and double yellow lines.
When I did pass the AO speeded up and got in front of me and slammed on his brakes and turned in front of me almost causing me to hit him.

Just blowing off steam.

Olevern
10-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Jerk drivers like that are a self-limiting problem. Eventually they kill themselves; unfortunately usually taking someone else with them.

Calamity Jake
10-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Now you know what I put up with twice a day 5 days a week as I drive I35 from OKC to Norman to work.

SSGOldfart
10-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Now you know what I put up with twice a day 5 days a week as I drive I35 from OKC to Norman to work.

:holysheepWow!! I feel for you[smilie=f:I've been down that trip:killingpc

justingrosche
10-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Check your front bumper for a bumper sticker that may say "the Buckeyes Suck" or something like that.

lead-1
10-28-2011, 03:15 PM
You couldn't guess how many times I have threatened to buy and old '70 Caddy and build a front bumper out of 8" well casing. I live on a main road that connects three towns and everyone goes 80 mph past my house until I pull out. Once I'm on the street everyone drives 25 in a 35 zone or 35 in a 50 zone.
I had a friend from California visit and he said if you transplanted this area into the middle of Orange County everyone would be dead in a week, lol.

waksupi
10-28-2011, 03:27 PM
I'll bet the second one was on a cell phone.

parson48
10-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Reminds me of an old saying: Patience is a virtue that we admire in the driver behind us, yet despise in the driver ahead of us.

firefly1957
10-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Hope the rest of your day was fine nothing worse than bad drivers. Yesterday I finally bought a gun safe of the way home I had the cruise set at 45 in a 55 because I had 650lb safe on utility trailer behind my 2003 Impala. Alpha Hotel (a young kid) pulls out right in front of me then only does 35!!! in a 55 good thing I put the extra straps on that safe or it would have been in my car.

jcwit
10-28-2011, 07:49 PM
So if another driver does not do the speed limit in front of you it upsets you?

Sounds like you have a problem.

The speed limit it the uppermost limit in speed, nowhere does it say anyone has to or needs to travel at that speed.

Next you're going to be upset because the driver in front doesn't travel 5 mph over the limit, which most Patrol Officers let folks get by with.

Rangefinder
10-28-2011, 07:54 PM

The speed limit it the uppermost limit in speed, nowhere does it say anyone has to or needs to travel at that speed.

Next you're going to be upset because the driver in front doesn't travel 5 mph over the limit, which most Patrol Officers let folks get by with.

In most places driving an excessive amount under the speed limit is considered obstructing traffic and comes with a fine. ;)

jcwit
10-28-2011, 07:59 PM
In most places driving an excessive amount under the speed limit is considered obstructing traffic and comes with a fine. ;)

Correct, and that low limit is usually posted or in the state drivers manual. Locally around here on U.S. & state highways that are posted at 55 or 65 the low limit is 45 mph.

smoked turkey
10-28-2011, 08:11 PM
I am with you Hickory: It infuriates me when drivers don't know how to merge into traffic at the on ramps. I guess it is a universal problem and not one with Missouri drivers only. We sure got em around here. They are more hazardous than those driving at a higher rate of speed.

3006guns
10-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I agree........like it or not, there's nothing that requires the driver in front of you to travel at a speed that accommodates your wishes. Frustrating yes, but we live with it.

The first example I agree with and it comes from poor driving skills. There are many drivers out there that didn't learn to "blend" with freeway traffic. I've come so close to rear ending someone who STOPS at the freeway and ogles the traffic, afraid and not knowing what to do. Here I come building up speed, glancing to my left at the traffic, then looking in front of me to see someone (usually a senior) PARKED while they make up their mind. The real twist? If you rear end them it's YOUR FAULT!

jcwit
10-28-2011, 08:19 PM
I'll second that about merging into a four lane highway or using some the the in'off ramps that are used. No excuse for stopping while getting on in almost all cases.

Try living in Washington DC and getting on/off the beltway every morning and afternoon.

lead-1
10-28-2011, 08:57 PM

There were several of us having this discussion one time at work and one guy took your stance on the subject, mostly just to aggitate the rest of us. When we left work I hurried to get in front of him an drove 10 mph under the speed limit and got him stuck at every traffic light thru town, boy did I get a cuss'in the next night, but it was worth it, lol.

jcwit
10-28-2011, 09:21 PM
There were several of us having this discussion one time at work and one guy took your stance on the subject, mostly just to aggitate the rest of us. When we left work I hurried to get in front of him an drove 10 mph under the speed limit and got him stuck at every traffic light thru town, boy did I get a cuss'in the next night, but it was worth it, lol.

Yup, A real class act! Wouldn't have worked for me, I was always management.

Hey, step back, slow down, enjoy life, smell some roses, it'll all be over shortly anyway.

KCSO
10-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Express way? that's like a road with more than two lanes, right!

Bad Water Bill
10-28-2011, 09:39 PM
When they first opened the Dan Ryan EXPRESSWAY thru Chicago You could get ulcers every day of the week. One car I will never forget must have belonged to a steel worker. Try a 1 foot I beam for both bumpers and then matching beams down both sides. Every one gave him plenty of room.:drinks:

jcwit
10-28-2011, 09:43 PM
HaHa, I'll bet they did!

shawnsmc
10-28-2011, 10:06 PM
For the first one, merging traffic must yield to oncoming traffic. And the second one that's just messed up. But if you were on a freeway slower traffic must get over to permit passing on the left. Even if you are doing twenty mph over the speed limit and someone is doing thirty over coming up behind you you need to get over to permit passing. Try being a truck driver in the San Francisco bay area and dealing with jerks and ignorent people every day.

shawnsmc
10-28-2011, 10:16 PM

What really upsets me is when they won't let you get around them. Then when I get tired of them I ride them real hard until they have had enough and finally let me by and usually get the number off the back door and call my boss. I don't care if they want to go slow but no one should force another person to drive at their comfort speed.

waksupi
10-29-2011, 12:44 AM
You guys would hate to be behind me. I drive the speed limit, or slightly below. Just to piss off people behind me.
I also do a full stop at stop signs. Boy, does THAT bother people!
By the way, in Montana, citizens get a bit of leeway with the highway patrol. They WILL stop out of staters much quicker for speeding.

shawnsmc
10-29-2011, 01:15 AM
I learned when hunting out of state to always take my plates off before heading out in the field. Troopers and wardens seem to be more likely to pull over someone with California plates rather than a vehicle without plates. Works good so far even locals think we are locals. LOL

fatelk
10-29-2011, 01:32 AM
I have to agree with shawnsmc; it's usually not the speed that bothers me, but the lack of courtesy. If someone is not comfortable going more than 45 in a 55, then they shouldn't. However, if there are vehicles behind you obviously wanting to go faster, its a bit rude not to slow down and hug the shoulder to let them by when you get a chance. If someone comes up behind me wanting to go faster, I do just that. I don't care; I'd rather have them in front of me than behind me. Go for it, leadfoot.

For the last year I have been driving a lot further to work. For a while it started to really get to me how people drive on the interstate. I think a good 10%+ of drivers have absolutely no business with a driver's license. It would especially tick me off when I was behind a line of traffic passing a truck, and some jerk driver would zoom up past me on the right and cut in. I found myself tailgating the guy in front of me to prevent him, maybe "teach him a lesson". I got out of that pretty quick, realizing how stupid it is.

The purpose of my trip is to get home in one piece. I'm not a cop; deliberately slowing someone down, trying to enforce traffic laws or teach some idiot a lesson is just flat out stupid. If someone's driving drunk or reckless, call it in (I have), but I'm not going to risk my safety on the road.

You're right about the slow thing. Too slow can be as dangerous as too fast. I had a situation on an on-ramp recently similar to yours where the car in front of me nearly caused a pile-up by merging into interstate traffic at about 40mph. I pulled off to the side of the on-ramp to avoid being involved in that.

Just a few hours ago on the way home someone was obliviously driving along in the fast lane, forcing everyone to pass them on the right. I guess they thought that since they were going fast enough they could drive in the PASSING lane as long as they want.:( I was once riding with an off duty police officer friend of mine, and someone was doing that. He was furious, to the point of tailgating and tapping his horn at them. He didn't seem to have a problem with speeding or tailgating, but he was not going to pass on the right!

CLAYPOOL
10-29-2011, 01:35 AM
A cop really looked us over on our first trip to South Dakota on the interstate to dog hunt. We were only doing 65. I guess he though we were up to something. Slowest thing on the road.

lead-1
10-29-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm a small town guy and a little over a year I was on the Dan Ryan thru Chicago. WOW, I still have a nervous twitch and I was on the passenger side, lol.

StrawHat
10-29-2011, 05:52 AM
When I was in construction, my territory was ocean to ocean, Gulf to Great Lakes. I learned that getting home safely was all I cared about. If the sign read 65 that's what I drove, if the weather permitted it. Don't like it? Too bad.

Chicago, Boston, Miami, Cleveland, D.C., Atlanta, they can all be fun towns through which to drive. Glad I never had to tackle L.A. or San Francisco.

Bret4207
10-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Heh, heh, he, ha, ha, ha, HAR! You guys should try dealing with all your complaints for a LIVING! The ONLY person that knows how to drive is YOU and anything else that happens is somebody elses fault. That last part is a 100% guarantee.

Seriously, 75-80% of the people out there on our roads are suffering from a cranial/rectal inversion. It's not that they're idiots, it's just that we don't even think about driving anymore, much less courtesy.

I'll tell you one thing, since I retired and don't drive more than 50-100 miles a month anymore, much less after dark, I've become much more conscious of my driving. In my professional opinion as a 20+ year Trooper- I stink at driving, especially after dark.

Pigslayer
10-29-2011, 08:06 AM

I drive on the Washington, D.C. & Baltimore Beltway every day. Been doing it for 35 years. The speed limit says 65mph. When you come out of the "chute" (on ramp) your butt better be on Rock & Roll!! The State Troopers here will pull you over if you're driving too slow. Too slow is too dangerous on those roads. Many people are doing 80mph. As long as traffic is moving smoothly (even though speeding) and no one is making crazy lane changes the Troopers let things alone.
Because when the Red & Blue lights are turned on, traffic slows. Then we got backups & accidents. If you have to drive slower than the rest of the traffic then get in the slow lane & stay there!! Otherwise wait until after rush hour!!:roll:

Pigslayer
10-29-2011, 08:12 AM
I learned when hunting out of state to always take my plates off before heading out in the field. Troopers and wardens seem to be more likely to pull over someone with California plates rather than a vehicle without plates. Works good so far even locals think we are locals. LOL

Not a good idea in MD. The cops will tow vehicles with no plates.

Pigslayer
10-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Heh, heh, he, ha, ha, ha, HAR! You guys should try dealing with all your complaints for a LIVING! The ONLY person that knows how to drive is YOU and anything else that happens is somebody elses fault. That last part is a 100% guarantee.

Seriously, 75-80% of the people out there on our roads are suffering from a cranial/rectal inversion. It's not that they're idiots, it's just that we don't even think about driving anymore, much less courtesy.

I'll tell you one thing, since I retired and don't drive more than 50-100 miles a month anymore, much less after dark, I've become much more conscious of my driving. In my professional opinion as a 20+ year Trooper- I stink at driving, especially after dark.

I'm a good driver . . . always have been. Not bragging . . . just fortunate. I keep my mirrors adjusted & my service truck in good working order. I drive in traffic everyday that would scare the **** out of most people just to think about. I keep my eyes wide open & always keeping tabs on what's in front of me and what's in my mirrors. I have to. Never in my 30+ years on the D.C. & Baltimore beltway have I had an accident. Then it happened. I wasn't on those crowded freeways. I was on I68 West headed for western Maryland. The Dr. had put me on blood pressure medicine that I told her I didn't need. It made my blood pressure drop too low & I blacked out. I left the road and traveled 100 yds and in the course of that 100yds dropped into two shallow ravines & back up out then slammed into a rock embankment at yes . . . over 60mph (that's what the GPS records show). The utility body bolts broke & the body flew off. Both frame rails bent & ripped and the truck went up the embankment 30 ft. Somehow it came back down and rested on it's wheels. I sufferred from a fracture of the cervical spine (C2), a broken sternum, two cracked ribs & four teeth knocked out. I found out that I was in the 2% club. One of the 2% that live & most of them are in a wheel chair. It was the worst break a person could have. Ask Dale Earnhardt or Christopher Reeves.
The prescribing Dr. backpeddled and said that it was due to sleep apnea. I spoke with two Sleep Med lab techs who had had accidents due to sleep apnea. They both said that if that were the case I would have woke up upon leaving the road. I never came too until after the truck came to rest. Sleep apnea my a**!!
I know my body better than anyone else in the world.
Luckily workmen's comp paid all the bills and am pursuing settlement now. Otherwise I would have sued the **** out of that Dr. Oh, she's no longer my Dr..
Sometimes it's not the other drivers that cause accidents!! Thanks Dr. J:bootgive::bootgive::Fire::Fire:!!!

white eagle
10-29-2011, 09:05 AM
did one like that last night
pulled up behind a pokey driver
when I follow the are tapping their brake
when I could pass they honk at me
like a moron would

firefly1957
10-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Some folks on the road just like to tick others off but I think we would all be surprised at how many of our fellow drivers are impaired by drugs and alcohol. When I drove 50 miles each way to work many of the people I worked with that had substance abuse problems drove 5-20 MPH under the limit. I talked to a deputy I knew about why they never pulled over those people driving so slow and he told me 80% of them had no insurance/licence and if he pulled them over he would have to arrest them. He felt unless they had a accident the law was just to harsh for the offence. Do not know if it was right for him to do but a couple years later one of those drivers with no license or insurance nearly killed a man while drunk driving to work at 5 AM and he did not do a full year in jail for it and the union got his job back!

waksupi
10-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Something most of us northern drivers have experienced, are the people who have moved in from down south, and don't have a clue about driving on snow and ice. Most don't even know what black ice is. When the roads are bad, the locals are driving about 45 mph, tops. Of course here comes Bubba passing everyone at 70 mph. You usually pass him in a few miles, as he is buried deep in a ditch.

Echo
10-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Even though I have mellowed somewhat in old age, I still occasionally wish I was driving a half-track...

35isit
10-29-2011, 12:21 PM
I drive 35 miles each way to work each day. 20 miles on 2 lane country roads and the rest on I75. I know where to drive 25 mph and 70 mph on the country roads. My pet peeve is when someone pulls out right in front of me in such a way that I have to slow down to let them out. There usualyy are no cars behind me and they go less than the speed limit. I don't mind them so much going slow but why did they have to pull out in front of me when there were no cars behind me. My other peeve is slow cars in the fast lane of the interstate. Had one pull over the other day and let me pass and then got back in the fast lane doing less than the limit.

fatelk
10-29-2011, 12:31 PM
In my professional opinion as a 20+ year Trooper- I stink at driving, especially after dark
That's a good way to be. I know I am not the world's best driver. I get pretty upset at myself when I make a dumb mistake on the road or a close call I could have avoided. After dark and in the rain- I'm one of those slow drivers people don't like. I would hate to drive for a living, and sure wouldn't make it in a big city. That said, never had an accident in my life (so far), only one ticket about 15 years ago (33mph on the edge of a very small town, though I'm sure there were other tickets I didn't get that I really deserved:))

rockrat
10-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Time I wish I had pieces of Railroad track as bumpers. I live out in the country a bit and when I go into town, I can't count the number of people that drive 30-35 in the 45 zone and get really torqued when I pass them. If you are going to drive slow, do it BEHIND me please. Of course, those that drive 30-35 in the 45, naturally, once it goes to 4 lanes in town, the speed limit has dropped to 35, but then they speed up to 40-45 or so, so they do know where the accelerator is.
Had a fellow in Texas doing 60 in a 65, so I passed him. Next thing I knew he hit about 80, to pass me, then slowed back to 60. This went on for at least 30 miles or so. Finally, we were coming up on a small town that I knew sometimes had an unmarked LEO lurking. I passed the guy in the truck just before a no passing zone for about 1 mile before the town, so the guy waited till we were almost in town, to pass and he was hauling hind end when he did, but didn't slow down when he hit the edge of town. LEO was there and was after him before I made it into town. I just smiled when I passed the truck :)

Suo Gan
10-29-2011, 12:42 PM
How about the old fart that drives 45 MPH until there is a passing lane and then kicks it up to 65 or 70 MPH. Boy, that really gets folks HOT. This is a control thing.

jcwit
10-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Here's what I don't get, yesterday my wife and I traveled 30 plus miles to visit her mother on a little used state highway. Weather was nice and the fall colors were still out so I drove 50 mph on the way home enjoying the scenery. No towns, or anything for 30 miles just 2 lane, posted 55 mph, mostly straight road with no hills, no no passing zones to speak of.

On the way home I ended up with 5 cars behind me when I came to the first stop light to make a left turn. I get honked at and flipped the bird at I assume for driving 50. Why didn't I pull over? No need to, they had miles and miles to pass me with no oncoming traffic, I passed 2 oncoming cars during the whole 30 miles and maybe 4 or 5 Amish buggies, but yet I'm the AO for driving 50, and then folks wonder why the guy in front gets irritated for being followed? It wasn't even rush hour for the factories guys to be going home.

Its not always the guy going slightly under the limit who's the idiot.

How about the old fart that drives 45 MPH until there is a passing lane and then kicks it up to 65 or 70 MPH. Boy, that really gets folks HOT. This is a control thing.

Yup!

BTW, I consider myself a pretty good driver, in 52 years of driving I've never had an accident that was my fault. I've been rear ended while sitting at a stop light, and t-boned by someone running a red light, and got a ticket once for a rolling stop at a stop sign on a Sunday morning while getting a Sunday paper. And we all know how busy, busy traffic is at 7/8 o'clock on a Sunday morning, right?

jonas302
10-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Yep drivers can really get a guy worked up I am road rage prone but learned long ago that you can't make them drive any better just back off the throttle and give enough room to evade them when they crash not worth me getting in an uproar not that I don't slip now and then(;

Pigslayer
10-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Ooooh do I hate that!!![smilie=b:

rockrat
10-29-2011, 04:02 PM
jcwit, I can relate. Sometime I am hauling a good load in my truck, so sometimes go under the limit, maybe 5 mph, like you did. Have had people get right on my bumper , honk horns, flash lights, ect at me.
Problem is, its a 4 lane and the left lane is open. Why not pull in the left lane and pass. Was in CA for my nieces wedding. Many times I was in the second from the right lane (so traffic could get on from the on-ramp) and left two lanes are open, but traffic comes up behind me and tailgates, then finally , after 1/4-1/2 mile, pulls over and passes on the left, usually yelling all the time. I am doing the limit at the time.
As others, don't pull out in front of me, so I have to slam on the brakes, then act like you are doing me a favor by going 15mph under the limit , taking 1/2 mile to get to that speed too!!

OK, rant over

Char-Gar
10-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Mr. Magoo and his kin are still behind the wheel out there. I know, I am one of them. My wife tells me I can't drive 5 miles without getting flipped off. So press on and try to keep a sweet spirit, as in other regards, we are very fine folks.

There are plenty of things in life that deserve your anger, like hate, injustice and people hurting other people, but drivers like me are not worth the effort. Try to stay focused on the really bad stuff in life.

Bret4207
10-29-2011, 05:39 PM
That's a good way to be. I know I am not the world's best driver. I get pretty upset at myself when I make a dumb mistake on the road or a close call I could have avoided. After dark and in the rain- I'm one of those slow drivers people don't like. I would hate to drive for a living, and sure wouldn't make it in a big city. That said, never had an accident in my life (so far), only one ticket about 15 years ago (33mph on the edge of a very small town, though I'm sure there were other tickets I didn't get that I really deserved:))

I'm glad someone got the message I was trying to send. I'm betting I have as much time behind the wheel as most here, if not more, and I'm fairly sure I'm in the top 10% for time spent at 85+++++ up into the Warp factor 11 area. My point is that we're all great drivers when we're paying attention and not thinking about the check that hasn't shown up or the bill you can't remember if you paid or the fight with the wife or the kids or whatever. But most of us become complacent and our minds drift. That's when we suddenly find ourselves in the oncoming lane or off the shoulder or we realize we don;t recall if we stopped for that light a ways back or not.

I'd rather be behind the guy doing 47 in a 55 on the narrow mountain road than be in front of the idiot trying to 75 on the same road.

Firefly- not sure how the law reads out there, but an unlicensed or uninsured op was a trophy back here. Yeah, I can surely over look an outdated inspection or registration, but insurance? Those are the people that are usually uninsured because they've had so many accidents or DWI arrests. Those were keepers, no catch and release for them.

BeeMan
10-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Just read the whole thread on my phone while waiting on the boys to gather wood for tonight's campfire. Somewhere in the past I heard someone say that you will learn a lot about a person by the he drives and how he does his taxes. Bret, Char-gar, and a few others are welcome to visit with the boys in our Troop anytime.

BeeMan

ss40_70
10-29-2011, 11:09 PM
i drive for a living i average between 1500 - 1600 miles a week and the 2 biggest things ive learned are pay attn to everything going on around you and keep the dummies in front of you . after that the most important thing is to shrug off the stupid things people do , so what grampa's goin 45 in a 50 zone with his left blinker on gettin all mad about it does no good .. and fyi if your going somewhere and that extra 5-10 mph is going to make you late ,, learn a lesson and leave earlier next time lifes to short to get worked up over stupid things

Capn Jack
10-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Interesting....

I had an elderly neighbor that asked me to drive him to a Doctor's appointment in the next town. Every time I got over 55mph (Speed limit 70) he would start whining about me going too fast.

I guess it all depends on the point of view. On the freeway, I do like to stay well back to avoid any pieces in case someone in the pack looses it.

Can't say I don't find someone riding the center line 10mph. under the limit irritating though.

Jack...:p

Rockydog
10-29-2011, 11:48 PM
I was driving in rush hour traffic, 3 bumper to bumper lanes on I90/94 in Madison, WI last week and passed a girl in a sports car painting her fingernails. She was in the left lane doing 65 when the rest of the traffic was about 68 plus (SL 65). Her left hand was gripping the bottom of the steering wheel from the bottom up so her fingernails were facing up. Great place to have any steering control at all. The polish bottle was in a console cup holder and the brush was in her right hand. Weaving all over her lane too. Darwin is still out there too bad somebody else will probably pay the price. RD

Pigslayer
10-30-2011, 09:43 AM
I was driving in rush hour traffic, 3 bumper to bumper lanes on I90/94 in Madison, WI last week and passed a girl in a sports car painting her fingernails. She was in the left lane doing 65 when the rest of the traffic was about 68 plus (SL 65). Her left hand was gripping the bottom of the steering wheel from the bottom up so her fingernails were facing up. Great place to have any steering control at all. The polish bottle was in a console cup holder and the brush was in her right hand. Weaving all over her lane too. Darwin is still out there too bad somebody else will probably pay the price. RD

Here MD they can fine you for using/texting on your cellphone if they think that it's interfering with your driving. Was on I95 South on friday morning & observed a State Trooper in an unmarked Crown Victoria using his laptop while driving!! Was it business and if so, so what? He was driving!!! Traffic got backed up & came to a stop & I was right beside him. I saw the MSN logo on the computer screen!! He was surfing the net for C****t sakes!!. He looked up at me & I shook my finger at him. He looked away and not back at the computer screen![smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b::2gunsfiring_v1:

firefly1957
10-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Bret I was just repeating what the deputy said he thought the law was to harsh and did not push it unless there was an accident . However if he would of arrested the person we (the deputy and me) were talking about (a Neighbor of mine at the time) the accident would never have happened! As things go the neighbor dropped dead at 48, rumor was it was alcohol poisoning but later heard he was about to be arrested for a sex crime when he passed. Part of the problem was and still is that counties Sheriff I do not know how he keeps getting elected and he tells his officers what they can and can't do like "do not arrest welfare cases as all they do is sit in my jail and do not pay the fines" (DIRECT QUOTE) . He is also a anti-gun Republican in a pro-gun county???? and often runs unopposed and get the fewest votes of any county wide republican. YES I THINK SOMETHING IS WRONG THERE.

I LONG AGO LEARNED NEVER TO PASS A PERSON I THINK IS DRUNK! I did that once when I was 18 and then the AH started getting aggressive and riding my bumper as luck had it (for me) I was able to put two more cars between us when we eventually came to a red traffic signal He rear ended the car in front of him which then hit the car behind me. He was no longer tailgating as he had opened a couple more beers I stuck around for the police and set out road flares to warn traffic it was late and there was little traffic. Back in 75 they were not nearly as hard on drunks driving but that guy got some rough treatment when the police arrived because he took a swing at one of them for dumping his beer.

Trey45
10-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I live out in the boonies, the speed limit signs seem to be largely ignored, unless you know where the speed traps are. This past summer one day I'm doing 57 in a 55 zone, out of towner behind me riding my tailgate so close I can't see his grill. He gets a chance to go around and does so, blasting his horn and what looks to be cussin me out as he goes. I continue tooling along at 57mph for another few miles and lo and behold, up the road a ways I see the blue and reds flashing, and there's out of towner pulled over by the sheriffs department. As I pass, I blow the horn and wave and keep going. Sergeant Hathaway waves back at me, out of towner doesn't, go figure, unfriendly I reckon.

TCFAN
10-30-2011, 10:29 AM
All those slow drivers that want to go 30 in a 55 are people that HAVE NO WHERE TO GO AND ALL DAY TO GET THERE...............Terry

oneokie
10-30-2011, 10:35 AM
All those slow drivers that want to go 30 in a 55 are people that HAVE NO WHERE TO GO AND ALL DAY TO GET THERE...............Terry

What about farmers that drive 12-15 mph in a 65 zone?:mrgreen:

Char-Gar
10-30-2011, 10:40 AM
I have officiated at over 400 funerals quite a few of which were automobile accidents. I have made countless thousands of hospital visits over the years and quite of few of those were torn up in automobile accidents.

When some impatient person, tailgates, honks and zooms by jaw yaking up and down, I always wonder if they are in a hurry to get to the hospital or their funeral. The problem is they often take the innocent with them. That really sucks!

jcwit
10-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I usually see the guy in a big hurry at the first red light or the second one at the most waiting for it to go green. Then he gets in a hurry to get to the next one and sit waiting.

Now granted 30 in a 50 or plus is over the top.

Pigslayer
10-30-2011, 10:55 AM

Ooooooooh! Don't get me started on that one!!

Pigslayer
10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
I have officiated at over 400 funerals quite a few of which were automobile accidents. I have made countless thousands of hospital visits over the years and quite of few of those were torn up in automobile accidents.

When some impatient person, tailgates, honks and zooms by jaw yaking up and down, I always wonder if they are in a hurry to get to the hospital or their funeral. The problem is they often take the innocent with them. That really sucks!

As I mentioned in another post, I was in a terrible accident due to an allergic reaction to BP medicine. I hit a rock embankment headon at 60mph! But I had steel around me & airbags that worked and a seatbelt that I was lucky enough not to be able to unfasten. (I had a broken neck). I was driving a 2500 series Chevy 4x4 with a utility body on it. Like I said, I had steel around me.
Thes drivers have no idea have no idea how those little sardine cans are going to buckle if they lose control at 65- yes, 80mph!! If they happen to live through something like that they say: "Wha happened???" "I don't understand!!"

perotter
10-30-2011, 11:41 AM
... so what grampa's goin 45 in a 50 zone with his left blinker on gettin all mad about it does no good .. and fyi if your going somewhere and that extra 5-10 mph is going to make you late ,, learn a lesson and leave earlier next time lifes to short to get worked up over stupid things

Yup. Getting mad and a couple of dollars will buy you a cup of bad coffee. Same as laughing about it and a couple of dollars will. But, sometimes I have to remind myself of that.

snuffy
10-30-2011, 12:05 PM
East central WI has recently discovered round-a-bouts! Replacing traffic signals, is a good idea IF people understand how a roundabout works. I've nearly rear-ended several drivers that come to a screeching halt at the beginning of the roundabout, looking for traffic when there is none.

The problem is people don't drive past the front of their bumper. I'm always looking at least a half block ahead of me and keep sweeping right and left for intersections and driveways. If you look ahead to a roundabout, you can usually proceed through without stopping, which is why they're there in the first place.

Am I the best driver? No, not by a long shot, but as I age,(65), I can tell my reaction time is getting slower. I drive at or only slightly above the speed limit. Sometimes I hedge 5 MPH over in good driving conditions. I still get passed even @ 5 over! All I say is "speed on brother, he!! is only half full!"

Char-Gar
10-30-2011, 12:08 PM
The accident rate (in Texas) for men over 60 is the same as men under 25.

shdwlkr
10-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Years ago there was a lady that was following a load of steel with flags because it over hung the back of truck. You guessed she decided she didn't need to stay back and some of steel ended in her windshield. I waited for the state police to show up and tried to calm her down she was trapped in her car. Of course she blamed the truck driver her only problem was I was behind both of them with a load of hay and in no hurry so I could watch things unfold. I told the state trooper what I saw and he came back to the truck driver and me when the lady was gone in the ambulance and told the driver that he should have had flags on the steel. At that point I took the officer back to the lady's car and showed him the flags in her back seat. The trooper just laughed and shook my hand and told the trucker and me to have a nice day.
More recently I was at and intersection and when the turning lane could turn there were 3 semi's turning and this lady in a Mercedes sport vehicle who thought she was going to cut in front of the semi' s not realizing when they turn they need room and ended up just a few feet off my front bumper looking up at me in my F250 sitting at the light. Sure glad her brakes worked but the best part was the motorcycle cop who came around the corner just as it turned green for me and I was still sitting as I saw his lights on and yes she got to talk to the cop. Sure hope he gave her an ear full. She could have got 4 of us hurt in that deal.
By the way I weigh around 4 ton right now and that much weight with my foot on the brakes doesn't move that easy but it would have moved enough to get at least two vehicles behind me, the idiot lady and one semi. Would have made and interesting mess.
I have one rule when driving to stay away from accidents and hope to never be the cause of one. I drive three hours to get my kids one way I have found that if I drive 5 mph slower it takes me a whole 10 minutes longer and I get there much more relaxed which is more important to me.

jcwit
10-30-2011, 12:42 PM
East central WI has recently discovered round-a-bouts! Replacing traffic signals, is a good idea IF people understand how a roundabout works. I've nearly rear-ended several drivers that come to a screeching halt at the beginning of the roundabout, looking for traffic when there is none.

We've discovered them here in No. Indiana also. But ours all have stop signs before entering the circle. I still like them better even than a 4 way stop where 3 of the four folks have no idea who is to go first, everyone sits there looking at everyone else, or worse they pull out in front of the guy to their right.

waksupi
10-30-2011, 03:06 PM
They put round abouts on the new bypass here. May have been okay, if the engineers would have designed them better. They made a truck bypass, that a semi has to do all kinds of fancy maneuvering to get through them. Being in a heavy snow/ice area make them a real challenge in the winter, too. Lots of slide outs.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-30-2011, 04:15 PM
I work on the Interstates every day (I-80 and I-74). They call it the Big X where the two meet. It is insane. I will be working on the shoulder and have a semi or car zoom by me just two feet away. They could have gotten over but it would require them to turn their steering wheel. I really don't know how many people have been killed this year in accidents in our area. I was patching the driving lane earlier this year when a car hit the crash truck behind me. Parts went flying past but the car itself hit the median. It is crazy and winter is coming. It will get crazier yet. Each year the driving gets more aggressive and the drivers, more distracted. Cell phones, reading books and papers, you name it, I've seen it. I was about 200 feet behind a truck that was putting blacktop down on the Interstate. I was flagging traffic over to the passing lane. A pickup moved over to the passing lane and then about 100 feet in front of me, he aimed his truck right at me and made me jump into the ditch. I guess he was having fun......... no, I don't much care for today's drivers. Hopefully in 14 months, I will be able to retire.

jcwit
10-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Man alive, I hope you make it. You're getting to old to be jumping in the ditch.

I always slow down for Officers, highway workers, or others having trouble. You never know, and I really do not wish to live the rest of my life with that on my conscience.

firefly1957
10-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Char-Gar Are you trying to say "drive like hell and you are bound to get there"?

shdwlkr
10-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Bret
think you are bad think of the engineers that work on the highways. I was one for a long time and in your state. You see the dumbest and the smartest people driving into a construction zone. On some projects I also got to be the safety engineer and you can not believe the issues that came up. Like the truck driver that got stuck in my detour that he was not supposed to be on, or the lady who couldn't see we were paving a piece of new road so she drove down our new wet concrete lane because there was no traffic in that lane or the truck driver who had no brakes but was traveling down the road and lastly the trucker who didn't stop and went through a van load of folks and managed to kill no one but many got burned, broken bones and moved around some. Yep the dumbest thing on the road is the people driving on it.

Bret4207
10-31-2011, 06:54 AM

How else are they supposed to get from field to field? They don't make farm equipment that goes 65.

Bret4207
10-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Bret I was just repeating what the deputy said he thought the law was to harsh and did not push it unless there was an accident .

If you wait until there's an accident, then it's too late to do anything about the uninsured guy and his victim is left hanging, right? Why do you think our insurance rates are so high? Theres zero difference between the uninsured, unlicensed local and the uninsured, unlicensed illegal alien. Both are a problem waiting to happen.

I'm not coming down on you, just your friends thinking.

firefly1957
10-31-2011, 07:04 AM
Bret yes that was my point his lack of inaction injured a innocent but I do know that pressure was on him not to take action also? Here in Michigan we have my fault insurance and the persons own insurance covers there injuries sometimes even if injured on a public transportation like a bus. Our silly system will cover a illegal injured and I believe that is wrong to and it cost a lot extra when I pay that "my fault insurance bill" .

shdwlkr
10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
I travel a two lane highway here in Idaho that I travel every other weekend to get my kids. It goes through farm country and there is either tractors and farm equipment or farm trucks hauling food for the city folks to eat and I sometimes get upset with the speed they travel. But you know something sometimes it is a good thing as when my kids are with me we just find something to do to pass the time. Sooner or later they turn off, or it is safe to pass. The best thing I ever did for my driving was get a diesel truck takes it a while for the turbo to spool up so I have to think before pulling out in the other lane to pass.
Last night on the way home in a narrow canyon that I have to drive the person in front of me kept slowing down and putting on their brakes at every turn it was starting to get dark and then all of sudden it hit me that the person was older and just didn't want to have.00 an accident so I followed them for 20 minutes and then a turn out lane came up and I could safely pass. Just life catching up to someone and one day it will get to me too. I know someday I will be blind how do I know this, both my parents went blind in their old age so why should I think it would happen to me.
I drive at a steady pace now, what ever is safe for the road and also gives me some mileage as at around $4.00 a gallon for fuel I want every mile I can get out of it.

My pet peeve is the driver who is putting on makeup, talking on the phone and reading a book yep seen this many times on the expressway here in the west and I sit high enough that when they pass me doing the speed limit I get real nervous that they get by me and away from me before they do something really stupid and realize they are driving!

Or we could talk about the guy shaving, talking on the phone and putting his suit on in the car and passing me!

Roundnoser
10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
I've always had this fantasy about buying a big, old junker car that spews smoke out the tail pipe (non-environmentally friendly, anti-politically correct), weld massive steel bumpers on with steel spikes sticking out the sides, etc. Hand paint the entire thing black, and write "NO INSURANCE" across both sides of the car! (My Deathmobile!) Then drive it onto traffic, and behave like all of those morons who I hate....Cut people off...drive slow...drive fast...no turn signals...hard breaking at highway speeds, etc.

I would get such a kick out of watching everyone with their fancy new cars trying to avoid me like the plague! HA HA! -- Ahhhh sweet dreams!

Trey45
10-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Someone mentioned something about the idiots who get on their cellphone while driving. We have enough bad drivers around here, let one get on a cellphone while driving and it's downright dangerous. I hope I never get into an accident, but if I do and the other driver was on their cellphone and hit me, I plan on owning everything they own or will own in the future.

oneokie
10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
How else are they supposed to get from field to field? They don't make farm equipment that goes 65.

Well, from my personal experience, many drivers expect us farmers to drive in the ditch.

For pucker factor, think about a mobile home mover dragging a 14x72 MH passing a grain combine climbing a hill in a no passing zone within 200 yds of the crest of the hill.

Roundnoser
10-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Well, from my personal experience, many drivers expect us farmers to drive in the ditch.

For pucker factor, think about a mobile home mover dragging a 14x72 MH passing a grain combine climbing a hill in a no passing zone within 200 yds of the crest of the hill.

I never give farmers a hard time on the road. I always give implements of husbandry a wide birth. Farming is an important job, and is already one of the most dangerous jobs you can have (I used to work on a dairy farm as a kid...milking, bailing hay, etc).

Around here, we also have an Amish community. I am always patient with them also. Don't want to frighten their horses, etc. I appreciate, and respect their way of life...It would probably do me good to slow down once in awhile as well!

jcwit
10-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Boy this thread brought out how classly some of the posters are, both the good and the bad.

Char-Gar
10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Char-Gar Are you trying to say "drive like hell and you are bound to get there"?

Well, "Hell" is not necessarily reserved for folks who are aggressive and angry with their driving.
A whole lot more goes into ending up there, than driving attitudes and conduct.

Driving a car is not a place to get emotional invested and become angry at folks who don't meet your standards. The roads are a place to keep cool and stay focused on the task as hand. Getting angry is to lose focus and place yourself and others at greater risk of injury and death.

Some folks think geezers, farmers and other slow folks have no right to be on the roads. Well, they have as much right to be there as anybody else. Aggressive, heavy footed drivers do not own the road and in fact are a danger to others.

Folks who are so torqued up about other drivers and come here to vent, should take a long look at their emotional stability to be behind the wheel. If you can't keep your head about you and stay cool, your real danger on the road is yourself and not the slow poke.

Stay cool, focused, safe and get there alive and with all body parts still where they should be. That is what I am trying to say.

jcwit
10-31-2011, 10:53 AM
How bout the pedal bikers with their little nonsense helmets going down the road 2 or 4 across with no regard to traffic or for the rules/laws of the road, ie: stop signs mainly. Talk about a bunch of morons. But then they want us to share the road, no one ever told them sharing is a two way street, or if they did they missed the point.

Now don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with biking, but bike single file and stay to the side, and obey the laws, suppose we had walkers walking 4/5 abreast down the highway.

Roundnoser
10-31-2011, 11:25 AM
I agree that everyone should be considerate when driving...but as has been said, its a two-way street (no pun intended). However, if common sense and consideration were used, there wouldn't be a need for vehicle law! In our state, the code is hundreds of pages thick and spells out every little detail.

Char-Gar
10-31-2011, 02:35 PM
I am not so foolish as to believe there are not bad drivers and inconsiderate drivers on the roads of this great land. That will be a fact of life for all of us. That is beyond our control.

However, how we respond to those folks is within our power. If we allow them to make us angry and thereby distracting us from staying focused on our driving, then that is OUR fault.

Down South
10-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Driving under the speed limit in Houston will get you run over. I agree that the limit is max allowable but doing much under the allowable becomes a safety hazard just as bad as going much over the allowable does. I try to run with the flow. if everyone is doing 60 in a 55 then I drive 60 along with the rest of em.
Rural roads are not quite so bad when someone is doing 45 in a 55 zone.
Some interstates around here have a minimum speed posted too.

I also agree with some people not knowing how to merge into traffic on an on-ramp to a busy interstate. It causes you to have to stop to so that you can't merge.

fatelk
10-31-2011, 03:30 PM
However, how we respond to those folks is within our power. If we allow them to make us angry and thereby distracting us from staying focused on our driving, then that is OUR fault.
A big +1 on that. A coworker once told me something that has stuck with me: There are plenty of jerks in the world, always has been, always will be. The best you can do is to not let them bother you, and not be one.

Pigslayer
10-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Driving under the speed limit in Houston will get you run over. I agree that the limit is max allowable but doing much under the allowable becomes a safety hazard just as bad as going much over the allowable does. I try to run with the flow. if everyone is doing 60 in a 55 then I drive 60 along with the rest of em.
Rural roads are not quite so bad when someone is doing 45 in a 55 zone.
Some interstates around here have a minimum speed posted too.

I also agree with some people not knowing how to merge into traffic on an on-ramp to a busy interstate. It causes you to have to stop to so that you can't merge.

I agree in that sometimes one has to "run with the pack". Not in a dangerous fashion mind you. Just keep pace with traffic.

Hickory
10-31-2011, 05:25 PM
sometimes one has to "run with the pack". Not in a dangerous fashion mind you. Just keep pace with traffic.

I have found that, on long trips, if I let 4-5 people pass
me for every one that I pass, Ill not get a ticket.:bigsmyl2:

Joni Lynn
10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Most of these morons are alive merely because it's not legal to just shoot them.

jcwit
10-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Careful as to who gets to do the deciding as to who is a moron and who isn't a moron!

We may all be in trouble.

Suo Gan
10-31-2011, 06:11 PM
I was a long haul trucker as a young man. It was my first real job. The thing I would notice was that a car would pass you and be going 80 mph and then you would pass them an hour down the road when they were stopped at the gas station. I clocked 700,000 and was glad to move on. Still have the chauffeurs license though.

shdwlkr
10-31-2011, 07:31 PM
You know the one thing I have noticed is that is I stay a little under the speed limit on the expressways the troopers don't seem to pay me any mind but let some lead foot go by me like a rocket on fire and they sure can put the pedal to the metal and most times they are not to happy either. One stretch of road I frequent quit often there is always at least 4-5 troopers waiting for a fool to rocket sled by them. I have even had the trooper wave at me as I go by 5mph under the speed limit to only find a few miles down the road something is happening, wreck, roll over, vehicle in the ditch or just your every day road check. I have only been stopped once for a road check and that was to see if I had seen the trooper waving at me and I said yes and asked my speed and I told the trooper who said thanks and let me go. Haven't figured that one out yet but who really cares.
One last thing I have found on long trips the difference between running the speed limit and 5 mph under is most of the time less than 15-30 minutes in time and I usually save a few gallons on fuel which is more important to me than a few minutes.

What I really don't like is the driver who passes and has to have half my lane on a multi-lane highway to pass. Another peeve is the person who rocket sleds passed you and then pulls back into your lane and slows down, have not figured that one out yet.

The fastest I have ever traveled in a car was 175mph and the slowest was 2 mph following a horse drawn wagon and laughing all the time as I was in no hurry so I just followed with my flashers on enjoyed the drive. I wonder if we have gotten so wound up in our lives that we forget to live them and not endure them?

Stephen Cohen
10-31-2011, 08:05 PM
Seems you guys have your share of fools over there as well. I just love tailgaters, I let them get nice and close then lift foot off the gas as I turn on lights, they think its brake light, it fun to see the smoke as they brake and theire nose smashed against windshield.

Pigslayer
10-31-2011, 08:28 PM
:guntootsmiley:I travel on I495 Beltway around Washington, D.C. & I695 Beltway around Baltimore, MD on a daily basis. I'll be glad to retire & just shoot boolits at the local Rod & Gun club!!!

shdwlkr
10-31-2011, 09:25 PM
When I was living back east I traveled around the beltway a few times you wanted something with good pickup and fast pickup so that you didn't get hit.
Sure glad I am out west where sometimes you can go a long ways between towns.

Blacksmith
11-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Not far from me is a road I drive several times a day. This section of road is about three miles long and is two lane with a double yellow line and 30 mile speed limit for this section. Speed limit is 45 and there are limited passing places on the rest of the road but this section has a couple of blind entrances and housing developments on each end with scool bus stops. I drive between 32 and 35 on this road even though it is a favorite speed trap for State, County, and DNR Police. On average Someone passes me on the double line once a week. Come on I am going over the speed limit and I am going to turn off in less than a mile and the idiots can't wait two minuts, I am tired of almost getting "T" boned.

The funny thing is if I stay on the road and someone is all over my bumper, where the speed limit goes back to 45 the road gets all twisty I still go 5 over and loose them because they can put their foot down but they don't know how to drive.

Blacksmith

Bret4207
11-01-2011, 06:28 AM
I used to drive 62-63 mph at work on the big roads. I still had people pass me! IN THE TROOP CAR! And they'd get po'd when I'd pull them over and have a chat. FWIW it was almost always a doctor, a cute blonde or a 17 year old boy in need of a serious attitude adjustment, which I distributed for free.

SharpsShooter
11-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Well...i dunno...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEPxN0DcgZ4

SS

Bad Water Bill
11-01-2011, 07:56 AM
If you had a $250,000 piece of equipment that you used to put food on the table for the next 20 years or so how would you treat it?

Flinchrock
11-01-2011, 08:26 AM

Don't they need one of those "slow vehicle" signs??

shdwlkr
11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Blacksmith
you mean you thought people should know how to drive, before they get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
Bret
Now that is really funny and to think I used to use the troop cars as the pace setters if they didn't have lights and sirens on then all bets were off. When I was on a road construction project, I used to make friends with the troopers that patrolled that section of road, why because you never knew as a state engineer when you just might need their help and yes as the safety engineer sometimes it was more often than not. People just can't sometimes with all the lights and warnings we had to put up understand that the old bridge was gone. Had one fool late one night drive through my barricades, a 10 foot high embankment just to end up in the river where the old bridge used to be. Yes he was drunk on his way home from a Christmas party and good thing he was so drunk as the water was real cold. The other thing in his favor was the trooper who was trying to get him to stop before he hurt himself. I found the troopers note on my engineer office at 6 am when I got to work and laughed so hard when I got the whole story and yes we had a lot of work to get things fixed for the next fool.

Like the guy pulling a mobile home that was 14 feet wide into my 10 foot wide detour and thank goodness we were using concrete mall barriers to keep the lanes apart. You guess it he drove the home up on the barriers and couldn't understand why he could go no place. He was driving the route he was permitted to travel. We spent most of a day getting him down off the barriers and yes we had to have troopers, county and our own flag people and almost every piece of big equipment we had to keep folks from getting to stupid. We even had to use our loader, 5 yard bucket no less as our lane closure device because some folks just didn't want to stop. Even the truckers didn't argue with that piece of equipment as the operator could look them straight in the eye and he weighed more that most semi's. Loved having that monster on the job.

fatelk
11-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Looks like this thread has struck a nerve with a lot of us.

Another favorite of mine, living near the coast, is folks who drive big RVs on the coastal and mountain highways around here. They will put along at 40-45 mph with a big long string of traffic behind them, but when they get to the only passing lane within 20 miles, they stomp on it. Black smoke pours out of the exhaust, the big engine roars as they zip along at 75. Maybe one or two angry cars make it around them, but the rest are stuck behind for the next ten or twenty miles.

Suo Gan
11-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Do any of you put on tight underwear and get on a bicycle? You would be much closer to the flowers to smell, going even slower, you might like it. Around here the bicyclists have complete ownership of the curvy mountain roads. Sometimes they have ten cars behind them, I think they are wondering what everyone's problem is, why on earth do folks need to drive beyond 10 MPH? They probably did not give themselves enough time so they are going to have to deal with the consequences. They won't get over to let anyone pass they are life coaches, their goal is to teach the fast paced speed demons in cars a lesson on relaxing and getting back with nature. HA!

I bet some of you that drive 45 or 50 in a 55 might get a kick out of being behind a bike that won't let you around on a mountain road. Say your trying to get to an appointment, say for some reason there are 30 or 40 bikes, what another one? Slow down, enjoy the ride! Whats the big hurry anyway? Take a chill pill buddy, sit there and look at my butt tight underwear and take it all in, I OWN THE ROAD, I KNOW WHATS BEST FOR YOU, I'VE BEEN RETIRED FOR TEN YEARS and DON'T CARE SOME FOLKS HAVE A SCHEDULE TO KEEP! SHOULDA STARTED EARLIER! HAHA!

joesig
11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I have to thank you all. Lately I had been thinking all of the crappy drivers were in Northern Virginia. Nice to know I'm not alone with my frustrations about rude drivers but saddened the only way I have to escape the idiots is to move deep into the country where I have to trade my truck for horse.

Pigslayer
11-04-2011, 02:45 PM
When I was living back east I traveled around the beltway a few times you wanted something with good pickup and fast pickup so that you didn't get hit.
Sure glad I am out west where sometimes you can go a long ways between towns.

Yea, if you're on the on ramp wanting to merge, you're a** beter be on rock 'n' roll!

Pigslayer
11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Blacksmith
you mean you thought people should know how to drive, before they get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
Bret
Now that is really funny and to think I used to use the troop cars as the pace setters if they didn't have lights and sirens on then all bets were off. When I was on a road construction project, I used to make friends with the troopers that patrolled that section of road, why because you never knew as a state engineer when you just might need their help and yes as the safety engineer sometimes it was more often than not. People just can't sometimes with all the lights and warnings we had to put up understand that the old bridge was gone. Had one fool late one night drive through my barricades, a 10 foot high embankment just to end up in the river where the old bridge used to be. Yes he was drunk on his way home from a Christmas party and good thing he was so drunk as the water was real cold. The other thing in his favor was the trooper who was trying to get him to stop before he hurt himself. I found the troopers note on my engineer office at 6 am when I got to work and laughed so hard when I got the whole story and yes we had a lot of work to get things fixed for the next fool.

Like the guy pulling a mobile home that was 14 feet wide into my 10 foot wide detour and thank goodness we were using concrete mall barriers to keep the lanes apart. You guess it he drove the home up on the barriers and couldn't understand why he could go no place. He was driving the route he was permitted to travel. We spent most of a day getting him down off the barriers and yes we had to have troopers, county and our own flag people and almost every piece of big equipment we had to keep folks from getting to stupid. We even had to use our loader, 5 yard bucket no less as our lane closure device because some folks just didn't want to stop. Even the truckers didn't argue with that piece of equipment as the operator could look them straight in the eye and he weighed more that most semi's. Loved having that monster on the job.

Yea, that five yard bucket loader is a whole lot of steel!!