PDA

View Full Version : For all the Aviators in the Forum

Carolina Cast Bullets
10-28-2011, 10:48 AM
I thought you guys might enjoy reading this.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Old Aviators and Old Airplanes
This is a good little story about a boy's vivid memory of a P-51 and its pilot. He was 12 years old in Canada in 1967 at the time. It was to take to the air. They said it had flown in during the night from some U.S. Airport, the pilot had been tired.

I marveled at the size of the plane dwarfing the Pipers and Canucks tied down by her. It was much larger than in the Movies. She glistened in the sun like a bulwark of security from days gone by.

The pilot arrived by cab, paid the driver, and then stepped into the pilot's lounge. He was an older man; his wavy hair was gray and tossed. It looked like it might have been combed, say, around the turn of the century. His flight jacket was checked, creased and worn - it smelled old and genuine. Old Glory was prominently sewn to its shoulders. He projected a quiet air of proficiency and pride devoid of arrogance. He filed a quick flight plan to Montreal (Expo-67, Air Show) then walked across the tarmac.

After taking several minutes to perform his walk-around check the pilot returned to the flight lounge to ask if anyone would be available to stand by with fire extinguishers while he "flashed the old bird up, just to be safe."
Though only 12 at the time I was allowed to stand by with an extinguisher after brief instruction on its use -- "If you see a fire, point, then pull this lever!" I later became a firefighter, but that's another story. The air around the exhaust manifolds shimmered like a mirror from fuel fumes as the huge prop started to rotate. One manifold, then another, and yet another barked -- I stepped back with the others. In moments the Packard-built Merlin engine came to life with a thunderous roar, blue flames knifed from her manifolds. I looked at the others' faces, there was no concern. I lowered the bell of my extinguisher. One of the guys signaled to walk back to the lounge. We did.

Several minutes later we could hear the pilot doing his pre flight run-up. He'd taxied to the end of runway 19, out of sight. All went quiet for several seconds; we raced from the lounge to the second story deck to see if we could catch a glimpse of the P-51 as she started down the runway. We could not. There we stood, eyes fixed to a spot half way down 19. Then a roar ripped across the field, much louder than before, like a furious hell spawn set loose---something mighty this way was coming. "Listen to that thing!" said the controller.

In seconds the Mustang burst into our line of sight. Its tail was already off and it was moving faster than anything I'd ever seen by that point on 19. Two-thirds the way down 19 the Mustang was airborne with her gear going up. The prop tips were supersonic; we clasped our ears as the Mustang climbed hellish fast into the circuit to be eaten up by the dog-day haze.

We stood for a few moments in stunned silence trying to digest what we'd just seen. The radio controller rushed by me to the radio. Kingston tower calling Mustang?" He looked back to us as he waited for an acknowledgment.
The radio crackled, "Go ahead Kingston."

"Roger Mustang. Kingston tower would like to advise the circuit is clear for a low level pass." I stood in shock because the controller had, more or less, just asked the pilot to return for an impromptu air show!

The controller looked at us. "What?" He asked. "I can't let that guy go without asking. I couldn't forgive myself!"

The radio crackled once again, Kingston, do I have permission for a low level pass, east to west, across the field?
"
"Roger Mustang, the circuit is clear for an east to west pass."

"Roger, Kingston, I'm coming out of 3000 feet, stand by."

We rushed back onto the second-story deck, eyes fixed toward the eastern haze. The sound was subtle at first, a high-pitched whine, a muffled screech, a distant scream.

Moments later the P-51 burst through the haze. Her airframe straining against positive Gs and gravity, wing tips spilling contrails of condensed air, prop-tips again supersonic as the burnished bird blasted across the eastern margin of the field shredding and tearing the air.

At about 500 mph and 150 yards from where we stood she passed with the old American pilot saluting. Imagine. A salute! I felt like laughing, I felt like crying, she glistened, she screamed, the building shook, my heart pounded.

Then the old pilot pulled her up and rolled, and rolled, and rolled out of sight into the broken clouds and indelibly into my memory. I've never wanted to be an American more than on that day. It was a time when many nations in the world looked to America as their big brother, a steady and even-handed beacon of security who navigated difficult political water with grace and style; not unlike the pilot who'd just flown into my memory. He was proud, not arrogant, humble, not a braggart, old and honest, projecting an aura of America at its best. That America will return one day, I know it will. Until that time, I'll just send off this story; call it a reciprocal salute, to the old American pilot who wove a memory for a young Canadian that's lasted a lifetime.

AggieEE
10-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Great story. Thanks for posting
AggieEE

Tom Myers
10-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I could barely finish reading - from the choking up and the tears running down my face.

I heard that sound once and I'll never forget it.

I have always wanted be able to fly airplanes. But all I ever got to do was jump out of them.

P.K.
10-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I could barely finish reading - from the choking up and the tears running down my face.

I heard that sound once and I'll never forget it.

I have always wanted be able to fly airplanes. But all I ever got to do was jump out of them.

Same here. Growing up the P-51 was my bar none favorite aircraft of any era. While many kids were google eyed over the jets at the Brunswick NAS the older birds drew my revrence. While living in Lexington KY I had the pleasure of living near the approach to the airport. The pleasure came in the form of a shiny P-51D that was hangered there flying around the bluegrass once a week.

Adam10mm
10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Yup. I'm not into aviation at all but the P51 Mustang just fascinates me. I love the plane and the history behind it. If I ever could afford to get a pilot license, that's the only plane I want to fly.

Ronbo256
10-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks for sharing that, I've had the privilege of seeing many P-51's fly and even gotten to gaze into the cockpits of a few. The best thing I've ever seen though was the maiden flight of "Glacier Girl", the P-38 that was recovered from under the ice of Greenland back in the late 80's, and even got to spend time with Bob Cardin and Steve Hinton. Bob even let me fondle a few parts that they couldn't reuse.

MtGun44
10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Impressive old birds.

My father in law flew P-51s out of England in WW2, and he is still alive. We have talked about
the P-51 many times. My Dad flew F6F Hellcats at the end of WW2, and stayed in up through
Phantoms.

Love a good airplane story.

Bill

Maven
10-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Wonderful story! My son & I were fortunate enough to see and HEAR P-51's in low level, high speed passes (full throttle) at several venues ~16yrs. ago.

Doc_Stihl
10-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Don't need to be an aviator to really enjoy that piece....

fecmech
10-28-2011, 05:04 PM
At the Geneseo Air show they usually have at least a couple P51's and almost always have what they call a "Heritage" flight with a flyby of an F16 and Mustang in formation. My aircraft career started when I read "God is My Co-pilot" and I've had a soft spot for P-40's with their shark mouths and Mustangs ever since. Love the smell of avgas and oil smoke!

Maven
10-28-2011, 06:36 PM
fecmech, Geneseo's one of the places where the P-51's (and others + high tech jet fighters) flew flat out. Dutchess Co. airport, which isn't that far from me, is the other.

Dutchie
10-28-2011, 07:02 PM
If you guys want to be choked up again u should see the movie whith the kid and the japanese airstrip when the p-51 makes a flyby..........( dunno the name of the movie anymore)

i did.

firefly1957
10-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Thank you

fecmech
10-28-2011, 08:20 PM
fecmech, Geneseo's one of the places where the P-51's (and others + high tech jet fighters) flew flat out. Dutchess Co. airport, which isn't that far from me, is the other.
Yes, the Geneseo air show is terrific, always something in the air to watch and plenty to see up close and personal on the ground. An F16 "haulin as#" over your head in burner and then going vertical sure gives you a lesson in raw power!

MtGun44
10-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Oshkosh! You can see SQUADRONS of P51s fly.

Bill

JIMinPHX
10-28-2011, 10:27 PM
In moments the Packard-built Merlin engine came to life with a thunderous roar

I always thought that Merlins were made by RR.

gandydancer
10-28-2011, 10:58 PM
If you guys want to be choked up again u should see the movie whith the kid and the japanese airstrip when the p-51 makes a flyby..........( dunno the name of the movie anymore)

i did.

Empire of the sun with Christian bale

Don Purcell
10-28-2011, 11:37 PM
P-51! Cadillac of the skies!!!

TXGunNut
10-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Nice story written by a true artist. I've had the pleasure of working a few airshows and spending quality time on the flightline. Never regretted those assignments, will never forget the raw power of those P51's.

P.K.
10-29-2011, 12:02 AM
I always thought that Merlins were made by RR.

RR licensed them to be built. Thankfully the patent and rights came through at the right time. I belive it was Packard that built them. For the P-51.

P.K.
10-29-2011, 12:20 AM
RR licensed them to be built. Thankfully the patent and rights came through at the right time. I belive it was Packard that built them. For the P-51.

For the U.S. The Merlin, wich had been in use with the hawker and the spitfire was a wonderful engine. It's potential was realized with the Mustang and it's revolutionary wing. There was only one bird aloft more revolutionary. The Me-262. Granted, a jet engine, but nothing compared to the wing. The 262 had a swept wing, but the 51 had the leading edge. hence the lead in to the jet age for the US. The P-80 was a dismal failure and would be a reminder untill the F-86 came along. After that, the F-100, F-105 and various Phantom and Voodo platforms. The 101 was interesting but greater than Mach was "Buck Rogers" even back in the day.

MtGun44
10-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I think Packard built a lot more Merlins that RR ever did. Packard had some experience
building V12s and had general engine building expertise. US companies really did amazing
stuff in those days. Buick build the automatic 37 mm cannon for the Airacobra, and I think
powered turrets, seems like every US company built war equipment. Ford built the HUGE
B24 factory, just studying US war production is purely amazing. Look at the number of
Liberty ships we built, or aircraft, or tanks, any of the individual industrial stories are a
bit hard to appreciate these days with EPA permits and other BS paperwork taking 5 yrs
before you can do anything nowdays.

In KC we had a P&W radial engine (R2800s for F6Fs and Corsairs) plant and a B25 plant. We
still have Lake City on the east side, the ONLY remaining govt ammo factory.
Every city was similar with big war production facilities.

Bill

JIMinPHX
10-29-2011, 04:20 PM
We

I thought that Federal had taken over Lake City a few years ago. I guess that I need to brush up on my facts.

P.K.
10-29-2011, 06:35 PM
I think Packard built a lot more Merlins that RR ever did. Packard had some experience
building V12s and had general engine building expertise. US companies really did amazing
stuff in those days. Buick build the automatic 37 mm cannon for the Airacobra, and I think
powered turrets, seems like every US company built war equipment. Ford built the HUGE
B24 factory, just studying US war production is purely amazing. Look at the number of
Liberty ships we built, or aircraft, or tanks, any of the individual industrial stories are a
bit hard to appreciate these days with EPA permits and other BS paperwork taking 5 yrs
before you can do anything nowdays.

In KC we had a P&W radial engine (R2800s for F6Fs and Corsairs) plant and a B25 plant. We
Every city was similar with big war production facilities.

Bill

I belive you are correct, I think I recall that the copyright/patent or watever was tossed out the window as payment for material/shipping we were sending over there. :drinks:

MtGun44
10-29-2011, 08:34 PM
RR was happy have Packard building them. There was a war on and Britain was up to their
butts in it, making as many as they could, knowing more were needed for the war effort.

As to Lake City, it is a what is known as a GOCO. Government Owned, Contractor Operated
facility. The contractor changes from time to time, but the people, equipment and buildings
stay the same. Actually, some small number (10-15 or so) of the top management may
change in a contractor change, but essentially all the employees change over to the new
contractor. ATK took over the contract a few years ago. Federal is one of ATK's brand
names. I have friends that work there.

Bill

tanstafl10
11-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I a late-comer to this post, but I am really glad I found it.

Well done, sir. And thank you for taking the time to share this.

bowfin
11-04-2011, 05:46 PM
In 2004, I had the idea to bring a North American B-25 Mitchell to our local town celebration. It was painted up to resemble the 500th Bomb Squadron "Tondelayo" which flew against the Japanese during World War II. A hometown man had won the Silver Star on the original Tondelayo.

The local airport was enthusiastic about having something aeronautical to do that weekend, because their job had always been to host "Rocking the Runway" concert, a bunch of rock bands that thought they were doing a little hick town a favor by even showing up (and some of them didn't even do that).

The airport guys told the roadies of the bands not to set up close to the main hangar, because a plane was coming in and would need room to taxi. They ignored them and set up the stage and lighting right off to the side so they wouldn't have to string cables and cords so far. Well, Tondelayo came in for a landing, taxiing over to the hangar as planned. All the rock and roll people clambered up on the stage and even climbed the lighting to get a better look...bad decision.

As the plane turned its back to the stage the pilot revved up his engines to make sure oil was pumped to all the cylinders before shutting down. The back wash of those two 1,700 Wright Cyclone engines caused the Porta Potties to blow over and skid for 20 feet, the lighting to lean and or collapse, and the stage to lift up on the near end. Roadies were hanging on to the lights for dear life. One rocker had tried to hide behind a Porta Pottie and was knocked flat, and all the yelling and screaming was drowned out in the roar of the engines.

Once the engines were shut down, the airport manager stopped laughing to go over and tell the Rock & Rollers, "We're going to be making a half dozen flights tomorrow, so you might want to move all of your stuff back across the yellow line, like you were told in the first place."
I think it made his day.

Red River Rick
11-04-2011, 06:10 PM
If your P-51 fan, check out this link: http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/141/language/fr-FR/Saving-the-Wild-Mustangs--the-Story-Behind-the-Vintage-Wings-Mustang.aspx

These were stored not to far from where I am now. I've heard lots of stories pertaining to these classic warbirds that were ferried back across the line..........most of them were in flyable condition when bought!

RRR

Moonie
11-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Great story sir.