PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer for smelting

captaint
10-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Last year I bought a fish fryer from Wally World for smelting. With the fryer, came a nice long thermometer that reads up to about 750 deg. I had tested it against my casting thermometer, which I got from Rotometals. It was quite accurate. Being the genius that I am, I stepped on it and broke it the second time out. Called the company - they said I had to go to a True Value hardware to get another one. Did that last week and got my replacement. Eight bucks!!! It has a 12" long probe and a clip to hold it. Perfect.
Thought you guys might like to know where to get a cheap thermometer that works. I'm happy with mine. enjoy Mike

Iowa Fox
10-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Do you have a brand name and part # so I can check out the True Value here?

Thanks for sharing with us as I need one for the pot.

John Boy
10-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Mike, thanks for the tip. The price is right. Only wish the temperature range was higher. I cast several 6 gang and double cavity molds in the low 800's.

All the retailers (RotoMetal, Midway, RCBS, LYman, etc) selling their bi-metal thermometers with the 5" stem and 200 to 1000 degree buy them from Tel-Tru Thermometer Manufacturing Co in Rochester, NY

It is a quality thermometer with a pan clip to put on the pot ...http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-green-egg-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

imsoooted
10-27-2011, 05:47 PM
from the website: METAL FUSION | model # SI 1 | item # 886245

$8.99

captaint
10-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Apologies for the delay in getting back. The unit has the name King Kooker. Same as the fish fryer. I don't see any part #. I don't use this for casting - just for smelting, cause it has the long probe. Mike