PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice about solder / lead

mugsie
02-12-2007, 07:38 AM
I can get all the solder bars I ever need, only it's Sn63 / Pb 37. Can this be mixed with other metals, suxh as antimony, more lead, etc. in order to bring it to a shootable hardness. I'm shooting mostly 357 and 44 mag so I'd need something that could withstand those speeds and pressures.
Thanks guys....

Pepe Ray
02-12-2007, 07:56 AM
YES!!
There's a lot more to it, as you may have guessed. Stand by for more responses, BUT, for now, get as much of it as you can afford or have room to store.
Pepe Ray

Andy_P
02-12-2007, 08:15 AM
If you add 1 oz of the Sn63/PB37 solder to 2 lbs of wheelweight, you will bring the tin content up just above 2% and improve the castability quite a bit. Hardness will be in the 13-14 BHN range, which is what I use. Just mark off different weights on the bar with a marker or by scratching a line in it and dip it in until it melts off. Solder wire is real nice because you can just cut off lengths to line up with the ingot weights you use and add the solder and ingot together.

waksupi
02-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi Mugsie. Keep in mind, pistol bullets really don't need to be very hard. They are generally traveling well under rifle velocity and pressure. Hard bullets can lead to all kinds of frustration.

ANeat
02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Liks Pepe said; Get all you can and more. You can trade the stuff to get all the harder alloy you need. Cut with WW and water quenched they should be more than hard enough.

Adam