PDA

View Full Version : Ohaus 9-124 C

LowPE
10-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Anybody know anything about this mould? Ohaus 9-124 C is basically a wadcutter with a very shallow point on the nose.

Hard to believe it would feed in a semi.

It is not in the RCBS catalogs I have, and searches have turned up nothing.

Any help appreciated!

runfiverun
10-27-2011, 12:26 PM
ohaus is lyman.
pour some they might work well in the 38 too.
lyman makes about 3-4 different wadcutters in this weight range and diameter.
they even make one with a small cone on one end and a little flat nose on the other.
some 9m's will feed swc's and wadcutters fine.
i had a taurus 9 that shot it's best with a 158 swc and currently use a 125 rnfp in both mine over the conventional rn.

LowPE
10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
ohaus is lyman.

I thought Ohaus got bought by RCBS -- learn something new everyday.

I did think of using them in 38/357. I was kind of thinking they were made for Bullseye or perhaps Ruger convertibles.

I did load up a few in 9mm, however my seating die damages the face of the boolit. I will change the internals of the die just hadn't had the time yet to do so.

They are really unique boolits and I really want to understand their history.

Thanks,

LowPE

LowPE
10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I found one reference on the web that Ken Waters mentions it as a very accurate 9mm load with 4 grains of Red Dot in his Pet Loads book.

Can anyone confirm that? Many thanks.

LowPE
10-28-2011, 01:33 PM
I loaded up a dozen under a moderate load of Promo and all but two fed into a CZ-75SA. The oal was set to fit the magazine. The CZ is my most demanding 9mm -- so I have high hopes for this round my other 9s'.

I was able to get all holes touching at 7 yards standing -- which really doesn't say much yet. I definitely need to fiddle with the oal and the powder charge to get a more reliable round.

Over the weekend I will take a few pictures of this conical wc and post them. They are definitely different.

I did find one other post where a board member bought this mould, and I have pm'ed him to see what, if anything, he uses it for.

LowPE
10-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Ok, here is a picture of this conical wad cutter for 9mm.

94Doug
10-31-2011, 09:55 PM
That is an odd one for 9mm. When I first looked at the picture, I thought maybe someone took a standard mould and drilled the cavity out. Are they the correct weight? I wonder if some semi auto's would have to be worked over to feed those....

anyway, interesting.....very interesting.

Doug

LowPE
11-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Yes, they are very interesting -- my guess is they are a bullseye mould.

I have shot a dozen or so and will continue to work with them in 9mm. I probably could shoot them in 38/357 unsized.

Information on this boolit is hard to come by. :)

LowPE
11-02-2011, 09:03 AM
I loaded up a dozen more and fed them thru my Ruger SR9 without a hitch – they all fed fine. Of course these boolits cut really nice holes. I am using a moderate load of Promo.

Definitely a fun boolit!

Olevern
11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Ohaus was bought out by RCBS

This is a very unusual looking boolit, however, beauty is as beauty does, give her a try

LowPE
11-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Ohaus was bought out by RCBS

This is a very unusual looking boolit, however, beauty is as beauty does, give her a try

Where does it say a boolit needs to be pretty? The holes it cuts are!

Thanks for clarifying who bought Ohaus.