PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Found in River Cleaned UP NICE!!

Ivantherussian03
02-12-2007, 01:41 AM
Thiis is an old thread. It is a project that has been aging in my closet.

I want to take this Savage 110 and convert from 270 down to a 22-250 or 25-30, but I am not terribly sure which way to go, or how to do it. Any ideas?:roll:

I want to build a predator rifle and scope it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wiljen
02-12-2007, 06:00 AM
Check with brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23300&title=SAVAGE+110+REPLACEMENT+BARREL+KIT

This is a kit that is supposed to contain everything but a barrel vise - not sure on head dimensions and if you would need to alter the bolt though. I'm sure those guys could tell ya pretty quick if it would work.

Wiljen

Ivantherussian03
02-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Is there a way to get the barrel off without a barrl vise? They are expensive. Do anyone have cheaper just as effective method without the barrel vise for swapping barrels? The cheapest barrel vise I saw was 189.00

Scrounger
02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Is there a way to get the barrel off without a barrl vise? They are expensive. Do anyone have cheaper just as effective method without the barrel vise for swapping barrels? The cheapest barrel vise I saw was 189.00

You can use your standard shop vise if you have one. All you need is a fitting or sleeve that goes around the barrel and is locked up in your vise. Brownell sells these fittings. You will also need an action wrench from Brownells or Midway.
Here are some links you will enjoy: http://www.switchbarrel.com/Savage%20FAQ.htm#Number6
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=540
And here is a link to SavageShooters.com: http://savageshooters.baker-media.com/SavageForum/index.php?action=recent These are guys who love the Savage rifles and many of them have switched barrels on the 110 several times, switch barrel rifles etc. A lot of them have all the tools needed for the job and if you talk to them real sweet, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would lend you the tools, maybe even help you if you live close enough together.

tommag
02-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I made a vise from a peice of 3/4"x3"x9" for the base and 1/2"x2 1/2x5 3/4" for the top steel. I drilled the holes for the bolts through the top and drilled and tapped them in the base. Added a couple of holes for lagging the base to the work bench.

The block of hard wood is bored the correct size tor the bbl then cut in half. Tightening down the bolts grips the bbl pretty good.

Before taking the bbl off, you might want to soak it for a couple of weeks, since it has been in the river. I used kerosene (cheap, huh?) in a piece of pvc pipe with an end cap glued on securely for a soak tank. The kero worked on a couple of 100 yr old mausers that were rusty as can be. Be sure to degrease the bbl where it fits in the wood.

I think you have to get a svage bbl nut wrench for the bbl nut. I think pac-nor has them as well as other suppliers.

Hope this helps.

versifier
02-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I just got a Wheeler barrel vice from Midway - $55.99 + shipping. It uses hardwood blocks. BSquare's is $53.99 + bushings ($9.49 each).

Ken O
02-12-2007, 11:40 PM
I took a 2X4, drilled a hole slighty less then the barrel diameter, cut it in half, and put it in the shop vise. I wraped the barrel in a piece of rubber cut from a bicycle intertube. Pick up a Savage barrel nut wrench from Brownells, Midway, etc, and your in business. Also pick up a set of go/no-go gages to headspace with. Its a real simple operation.

Whaump 'em
02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I've been playing the Savage barrel swap game for a couple of years now. The most effort will be put into removing the factory barrel, and one that was swimming might take as much work as the 110E I bought new in 1979, and kept clean & dry.
What's really required is a barrel nut wrench, and an action wrench - not a barrel vise - then a penetrating oil like kroil, and possibly a heat gun for the barrel nut.

Ivantherussian03
02-15-2007, 02:08 AM
I am going to work on this in stages. I am going to order parts, and get it to fire 270 again, then do the barrel swap. :Fire: