PDA

View Full Version : Saeco Furnace

cgtreml
10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
I am fixing the wiring to my lead furnace and all the mica insulation fell out. Anyone have an idea what I can use as insulation. This is the first time I am opening a new thread so if I screw this up please be patient.

oneokie
10-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Do an internet search for sheet mica like is used for the windows in potbelly stoves/heaters.

Or check with an electrical supply house for ceramic insulators. Sheet bakelite might work, but it may not stand up to the heat generated by the pot.

cbrick
10-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits cgtreml in Green Bay. A true Cheese Head I hope. [smilie=l: I sure am, gonna be a boring Sunday this weekend.

Anyway, this may or may not work but . . . Call Magma Engineering, tell them you are refurbishing an antique pot and the insulation is gone. Ask them if they would either sell you some or at least tell you what it is so you can find some. Magma makes the Master Caster pot that has some sort of woven insulation in it. They are pretty nice folks there and I'll bet if you offer to pay shipping and such they just might ship you some.

Don't know myself what the stuff is, it almost looks like fiberglass but it's not.

Worth a try. Good luck.

Rick

schutzen
10-27-2011, 08:33 AM
How much insulation do you need. I have a small stash of Kaowool that is good to 2000+ degrees. I can mail you a small sheet. PM me with the size you need and you address.

cgtreml
10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the tip. Will check them out this morning.

Yah I'm a cheese head. Not a die hard packer fan but a fan. Best Packer experience is duck hunting Longtail during a home game. Got the place to myself and a front row seat when the Jets come off the bay.

cgtreml
10-27-2011, 08:41 AM
How much insulation do you need. I have a small stash of Kaowool that is good to 2000+ degrees. I can mail you a small sheet. PM me with the size you need and you address.

About 4" square would protect everything vital. That would be very helpful if you can spare it. Send me an email and will email back my contact info.

I love this Forum
You guys are great

cgtreml
10-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all your help. I'll be waiting by the mailbox next week so I can finish this project. I have gotten so much help and good advice from this forum I can't stand it

Chris

raymil
10-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Go to your local home center garden section. pic up vermigulite (2012deg F) or perlite (1562 deg F)

Bret4207
10-29-2011, 08:21 AM
FWIW, I just packed fiberglass insulation in around mine. Seems to work, but it does sort of bake to a brownish color and get real fragile. But I never saw what was supposed to be there on mine as they were both "pre-messed with".

cgtreml
10-29-2011, 08:28 AM
When you fired it up the first couple of times did it smoke or smell bad? Winter is coming and I will be moving things into the basement. Always trying to avoid complaints.

Bret4207
10-30-2011, 08:10 AM
I don;t remember any smell or smoke, no. But my memory isn't geared towards stuff like that. fire it up outside the first time if it's a worry.

Old Caster
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I think you could look up Waage pots too because they manufacture their own.