PDA

View Full Version : Casting muzzle load bullet

Mpape
10-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Posted a thread in lead and alloys about casting a hunting round, realized I should have put it here. Thanks for the guys who did reply. I have some WW's, sheet lead and some old lead shot for sources of lead. I am casting a 50 cal 360 grain maxi hunter bullet. Shooting it out of a Hawkins muzzle loader am looking for advise on the choice of lead and a lube to use. I would prefer the lube to be more wax like than grease. Thanks.

This is a very cool site.

docone31
10-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Sheet lead, or sheet lead and a tiny bit of shot, or a small amount of wheel weight. Mostly pure lead. That works best.
You will see what I mean when you load one.

Blammer
10-26-2011, 09:40 PM
yep, use the pure lead if you can, and 50/50 beeswax/crisco is what I use.

P.K.
10-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Here is the earlier thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131482

Already told him Bore Butter and a REAL, but I'm a new guy...

Mpape
10-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Nope, PK you were great. I just don't like bore butter when I hunt, just to messy.

gray wolf
10-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Load rifle---
go hunting---
shoot gun---
perhaps 2 times if you miss.
Messy ?
Pure is the metal for a front stuffer, Perhaps 40/1 PB/SN
soft lube is needed to keep powder fowling soft.
BUT---- for 1 or 2 shots, do what works for you.
but, but, why invent the wheel ?

prs
10-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Begin casting with the sheet lead. If you can not get it to cast without the wrinkles, add 1% tin and try again. If it still wrinkles (should not) go for 2% tin; if that wrinkles, there is some other problem. The softer the better for that application. If you use antimony (chilled shot) or WW alloy, you will get poor expansion. Dead soft lead is a killer with massive muzzle loader rounds.

prs

nanuk
10-27-2011, 09:40 PM
prs: I have used commercial "Pure Lead" conicals for years now... (Gonna be casting my own soon) and I have shot them into many things and recovered a few

NONE have ever expanded. Even when shooting into live pine trees, NONE expanded. I have even reloaded some and shot them again

but a .500 hole is still a BIG hole

P.K.
10-27-2011, 10:05 PM
prs: I have used commercial "Pure Lead" conicals for years now... (Gonna be casting my own soon) and I have shot them into many things and recovered a few

NONE have ever expanded. Even when shooting into live pine trees, NONE expanded. I have even reloaded some and shot them again

Nice! Big hole....big blood trail.:bigsmyl2:

para45lda
10-27-2011, 10:16 PM
And remember, commercial casters usually have to ship their product. That being said I would imagine many of them are not casting with pure. Too many dents and dings upon arrival. Although it seems like T/C used to pack their Maxi balls in a tray to prevent damage.

I'd go with what was said above. Pure soft is going to expand especially in a pine tree.

Wes

camotruck
10-27-2011, 10:35 PM

How hard are you pushing them or not pushing them that you can shoot a tree and it not expand. That just sounds like one hard boolit to me.

P.K.
10-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Final note. A pure Pb REAL at 250 gr. will punch sub MOA over Pyrodex. Dunno over FFF or 2FF but it does well.

Welcome tests done with 3F or 2F.