PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 30-165 SIL GC Bullet

pistolman44
10-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Can some one tell me what the diameter of the nose is on this bullet. I figure around .300". I want Accurate Molds to make me a copy of this mold. Tom wanted a picture or drawing of this bullet. Well I got a picture of the bullet but thought of having some specs of the bullet to send him. I know I will be sizeing to .309". Alloy will be WW. Also I'll be using this bullet in a .308 Winchester.

runfiverun
10-26-2011, 12:40 PM
in ww's with a smidge of soft mine is 300, with the body just a scuff over 310 with straight ww's.
in my 4/6/90 alloy its 301, and the body is slightly over 3105.

pistolman44
10-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info, that is what I needed to know so I can go forward on getting this mold made.

Char-Gar
10-26-2011, 12:57 PM
I have been using the RCBS 165 Sil for some years now in four different .308s. Accuracy has been as much as the individual rifle has to give. In my Remington 700 VHS it will deliver sub MOA ten shoot groups.

I cast my bullets from either WW or Lyman No. 2 and the nose runs .300 to .301 and is a good fit in all four rifles. I size the body .310.

This bullet has also proved outstanding in an assortment of 30-06s and Browning SS in 30-30.

To get the top level of accuracy mentioned above, the bullets must be visual inspected and any less than perfect discarded. What is left must be scaled and sorted into groups of +- .5 of one grain weight. Less if possible.

pipehand
10-26-2011, 01:21 PM
+1 on what the other two members said. It's scary accurate in my Model 70 lightweight, and wish it had a bit larger flat on it for hunting. Wouldn't want to change the one I have, but have been thinking about buying another to have a Cramer hollowpoint conversion done. If you are having a custom done, wouldn't you be better off to measure the arm you are going to use it in and go from there? BTW, I used to have a problem with inconsistantly bumping up the noses on the bore riding boolits when I was using a Saeco sizer. Since I started lube-sizing my rifle boolits in the Magma-Star the noses have remained the same as they were when they dropped out of the mould.
My avatar Shows 3 loaded rounds, and a 3 shot - 100 yard group with the RCBS 30-165 SIL.

cbrick
10-26-2011, 01:35 PM
The bore riding nose on mine casts a touch large at .302" but it does fit my 30 cal bores though a bit snug, both are single shots though so it works well. This bullet is a very consistent accurate shooter in both of my 308's and single loaded (.125" meplat) in my 30-30 levergun.

The only complaint I have with this bullet is that pesky RCBS thing . . . Two cav only. Let us know if Tom makes this bullet, if so a multi cav could well be in my future.

Rick

runfiverun
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
i would love a 4 cavity in this and the rcbs 150 fncg too, the 150 has surpassed the 165 silhouette for accuracy and velocity in many rifles i own.

ihmsakiwi
10-27-2011, 04:40 AM
The bore riding nose on mine casts a touch large at .302" but it does fit my 30 cal bores though a bit snug, both are single shots though so it works well. This bullet is a very consistent accurate shooter in both of my 308's and single loaded (.125" meplat) in my 30-30 levergun.

The only complaint I have with this bullet is that pesky RCBS thing . . . Two cav only. Let us know if Tom makes this bullet, if so a multi cav could well be in my future.

Rick
Put me down for a NOE five banger copy of the RCBS just the way it is. This is my next mould should a group buy ever come up. Shoots just fine & dandy in my 308 barrelled 32H&R Mag T/C barrel. I shoot it subsonic with Lee snot only. Peter