PDA

View Full Version : Poured my first boolits last night

jdhenry
02-11-2007, 06:58 PM
I have been reading every thing I can on this site for about 3 weeks and I did my first batch of boolits last nite about 1500 of them. Would have poured more but, The better half sait it was time for bead at 2am go figure:) I ran into just about every problem I had read about so after about an hour I was pouring good looking boolits. And all thanks to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the great tips!!! Now I'm HOOKED, So Im thinking my 240lbs of lead aint goina last.:)Any way I JUst wanted to tell all of you ................................................

THANKS A TON.

Jeremy

flyingstick
02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Kind of addictive, ain't it? About 200 a time is my limit. I've never had back problems but standing over a pot with a ladle just kills my back! I've ordered a lee bottom pour and hope that takes some of the back pain out. 1500 is a lot of bullets, kindof therapeutic though. Just curious Jd, are you using a 6 cavity mould?

45nut
02-11-2007, 07:15 PM
"Now I'm HOOKED, So Im thinking my 240lbs of lead aint goina last"

Pretty doubtful huh? :cbpour:

No_1
02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Congrats on your first casting session. It sounds like you are hooked!

240 lbs certainly won't last long. You have to worry about what is on hand anytime you get below about 2 tons of the stuff. Just get it from wherever you can whenever you can, turn it into ingots and stack it in a corner. Once you have the "low limit" of what you need, then you can slow down on the looking....

Robert

BruceB
02-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Fun, isn't it???

Sometimes, when things are going just right and the lovely new bullets are piling up, I hate to quit! This is what a number of us here have referred to as being "in the zone", and it 's a pleasant situation.

I'm sure your good wife will get accustomed to the procedure, and of course, she should be happy that you now have a low-cost, close-to-home 'vice' which won't lead her hubby astray in any serious fashion.

Of course, I told my own wife that, about forty years ago....she learned to live with it, AND to fire a heck of a lot of the resulting bullets, too.

Well done, and yessir, that 240 pounds will vanish like snow in a desert July. Best start planning for re-supply before you run out. I get REAL twitchy if I ever get down even close to the one-thousand-pounds-on-hand figure.

threett1
02-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Women just don't understand!!!:mrgreen: Welcome to the madness.

twoworms
02-11-2007, 07:57 PM
jdhenry,

Now you did it, you have gone and found something that will take over your life... lol

Tim

cobbmtmac
02-11-2007, 08:38 PM
FIRST CONGRATULATIONS JEREMY, :castmine: too.

Now to "flyingstick", I have had severe back problems, have had Operations and more. Here is how I solved being able to stand straight while using my Lee Bottom Pour.

I went to "Horror Freight", bought a Transmission Jack. (@ that time $49. sale), took off the wheels, cut the wheel brackets off and mounted it to my workbench, then mounted my Lee pot to the Jack. On my bench this allows me to have the bottom pour spout of the pot as low as 11" off the bench. I pour with the spout at about 22" off the bench and it will reach a heighth of 27". My bench top is 36", so raised to the 22" level, I am pouring at 58" off the floor with safety overkill.:-D

I am going to attempt adding pictures, if I fail, "private e-mail" me and I'll send them to you.

So far no luck, these are good pics, so if someone who knows how would PM me their Phone Number, I'll call you for instructions

Thanks, Mac

jonk
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the fun!

Why oh why would anyone STAND to cast??? I put on a heavy shop apron and sit down!

Bob Jones
02-11-2007, 09:40 PM
One of my projects for today was redoing my casting bench. I have bad back problems too, and it was too low. When I got "in the zone" I didn't want to quit and have been feeling like heck on Mondays as I do most of my casting on Sunday afternoons. I used a Craftsman folding/expanding worktable I had laying around, put a 2' by 4' piece of 3/4" ply on top and found a nice padded metal chair to sit in. Much more comfortable than the old setup, hopefully will get to try it out next weekend.

Don't forget the ergonomics. Doesn't seem to matter much while I'm having fun but sure notice it the next day.

jdhenry
02-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Kind of addictive, ain't it? About 200 a time is my limit. I've never had back problems but standing over a pot with a ladle just kills my back! I've ordered a lee bottom pour and hope that takes some of the back pain out. 1500 is a lot of bullets, kindof therapeutic though. Just curious Jd, are you using a 6 cavity mould?

Nope no 6 cavity, would be nice but I can't find any one that has a lee 6 cavity 158g RNFP in stock (all on back order) But boy oh boy I want one now :) oh well with 2----2 cavity molds my small pile of lead will last longer and I can hide in the garage away from the kids longer too:) he,he I bought the Lee Pro 20 bottom pour pot and I love it!!!! Like every one has said on here it does leak but just play with it and you will figure it out. One thing I will say about it is keep a flat head screw driver at hand.

Jeremy

flyingstick
02-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Mac, I sent you my e-mail address, would love to see the pics.

Jonk, I've tried sitting, standing and any other way I can figure out but it just kills my back and i don't know why. I can work outside splitting wood or anything else and never have back problems but something just does'nt like me having as much fun as pouring boolits.

Thanks for the advice on the Lee Pot Jeremy, I've been using a stove top outside for the past ten years so I'm pretty excited about my new toy coming in this week. I just started pouring boolits for my smokeless powder guns and it is a bit more of a challenge than a frontloader, but it sure is rewarding. The folks on this board are a lot of help.