PDA

View Full Version : Good mold for 1911?

jonk
02-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Just got my first .45! Woohoo! Anyhow, being a fan of lee molds in general, but never really liking their tumble lube molds, I was wondering, what non tumble lube mold would you all recommend? Probably I'll go for a 6 banger right off, but as per weight, style, etc., am open to suggestions.

DLCTEX
02-11-2007, 02:46 PM
My preferred bullet for most uses is the 200 gr. semi wadcutter. I find that anything under 190 gr. is prone to feeding problems. I do load some 250 gr. swc to good effect. Dale:Fire:

imashooter2
02-11-2007, 03:06 PM
The bullets in my avatar are Lee 452-228-1R from one of their 6 bangers. They work very well. The 200 SWC is also a popular choice. Most autos will shoot them as reliably as ball.

35remington
02-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Their H&G 200 grain copy-the longnose semiwadcutter. Loaded to around 1.255" it feeds well. Most of the shorter nose profile bullets result in a round that has a shorter overall length than most 1911's want to feed.

I'd avoid the 228-1R as it produces a very non-ball like cartridge overall length and is also a more problematic feeder. Their TL 2R 230 roundnose is better as regards feeding. I know you prefer to stay away from tumble lube bullets, but it is reliable loaded to 1.265-1.270."

If your gun is on the more tolerant side - that is, not strictly a hardball gun - give the 225? (as I recall) grain FN with single large lube groove a try. Loaded to 1.230" it feeds well from most magazines in most of my 1911's but is not as reliable as the 2R or the 200 in my most temperamental 1911's. My Ruger P97 absolutely loves it. Nice flat point for more thwack on target.

Imashooter, no offense on the contrary recommendation for 1911's-it's just I've found I like the 2R better for functioning in most pistols. I've shot it in friend's 1911's in all manner of repair as well as my own, and prefer the 2R. You happened to post just before I did (when I was composing my reply) and I did not intend to contradict, which is why I'm editing this post. Experiences differ, and I and my friends may have some picky 1911's.

I also have a 625-3, a five inch. I find it a very good shooter. Most cast bullet designs I have in .45 have gone through it, and whatever the 1911's turned out not to like.

jonk
02-11-2007, 03:09 PM
It sounds like everyone has good things to say about this 200 gr semi wadcutter...it looks like the Lyman top punch 460 might be pretty close, or?

imashooter2
02-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Imashooter, no offense on the contrary recommendation for 1911's-it's just I've found I like the 2R better for functioning in most pistols. I've shot it in friend's 1911's in all manner of repair as well as my own, and prefer the 2R. You happened to post just before I did (when I was composing my reply) and I did not intend to contradict, which is why I'm editing this post. Experiences differ, and I and my friends may have some picky 1911's.

No offense taken. I would have gladly bought a 2R mold if they would have made one in a standard lube design.

Forester
02-11-2007, 05:28 PM
+1 on the 200gr SWC design. I have two of these moulds and in the past few months have cast about a years worth of boolits from one of them. Something in the neighborhood of 20,000 boolits in the basement now. I have used them over bullseye, Clays and 231 with good effect, and no problems feeding as long as I use a Lee FCD in my Reloading.

I also have a Lee 225gr Truncated Cone mould that casts great but does not work well in pickier/tightly throated guns. Actually I would sell or trade that one away if you are interested. My Les Baer fed and shot it well, but my Dan Wesson Commander did not like it much. The DW has a very tight chamber, but I would suspect the boolit would shoot fine in most factory Springfield/Kimber barrels.

Lloyd Smale
02-11-2007, 05:33 PM
lyman 200 swc and the h&g style 200 swc. Are my favorites but the lee copys of these bullets do pretty well too.

dot6
02-11-2007, 05:48 PM
See CatShooter's 210 grain .45 six-banger in the Group Buy section. Looks to be a really nice one.

Sundogg1911
02-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Jonk,
I have 7 different 45 ACP molds (not quite sure how this happined) [smilie=1:
and I have 5 1911's (Sundogg1911....get it?) :-D What 1911 did'ja get? If your 1911 has a ramped barrel I like the 200 gr. SWC or TC bullets. (I actually prefer the 185 Gr. but I don't think Lee has one) They also feed well in some of my non-ramped barrel 1911's but not all of them. You really can't go wrong with Lee's 228 gr. round nose molds. They seem to function in just about everything reliably. I prefer the Lyman 4 cavity 45 RN mould over the Lee mold, but The Lee's seem just fine also. The one problem I had with the Lee 228 gr. is finding a top punch to filt it. The top punch I have that fit both my Lyman and RCBS 45 RN boolits left a pressure ring around the nose of the Lee. I ended up buying another of the same top punch and relieving a little of the metal with a Dremmel. I think i'd have a lot more of Lee's 6 cavity molds. ( can't beat the price ) If they made top punches for Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, etc. Luber/sizers. I hate that liquid goop that Lee sells. (don't get me wrong, I have some friends that love the sticky messy stuff) but I prefer using my Lyman 450 (Soon to me getting a Star) :mrgreen:

jonk
02-11-2007, 07:15 PM
I got a low end model, admittedly- a Rock Island 1911A1. I just want a fun blaster, not a competition gun, and for that goal for the price the RI can't be beat.

I shot it today for the first time using copper jacketed bullets, as I had some lying around in a box of (up to now) unneeded junk. It fed and shot quite well using .7cc of Red Dot and 230 gr RN bullets.

But, while I use both cast and jacketed, I do far prefer the economics of free wheel weights over $10/100 copper tips.....

Thanks all who have replied. I will probably go with the 200 gr Lee SWC 6 cavity job, and eyeball the top punch as best as possible; if need be I'll grind one out and go the JB weld route. Or alternatively, as I do not dislike LLA (though I don't prefer it) give that a try.

X-man
02-11-2007, 10:08 PM
I've got a half dozen .45 moulds for my 1911s. The two I find that seem to work the best on a consistent basis is the RCBS 230gr RN double cavity & the Lyman 200gr SWC double cavity. Pick up a lb or Bullseye or Unique and your good to go!:)

KCSO
02-11-2007, 10:21 PM
What no one is shooting the 230 t/c bullet! I kinda like that one as you have a flat nose and a shape that will feed in everything.

35remington
02-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Funny how small the world is sometimes. I also have a RIA .45 and for the price it is a decent gun and works well. It may be my carry gun if I ever get my license, as it is both reliable and replaceable.

The second comment in regard to the small world bit is that I use the .71 cc cavity in my Auto Disk measure with Red Dot to dispense around 4.9 to 5 grains depending upon particular lot # when it is mounted to my progressive. With a good 230 lead RN bullet it is my standard load for factory duplication and economy.

imashooter2
02-11-2007, 10:43 PM
The top punch I have that fit both my Lyman and RCBS 45 RN boolits left a pressure ring around the nose of the Lee. I ended up buying another of the same top punch and relieving a little of the metal with a Dremmel.

I found the Lyman 374 a perfect fit on the 452-228-1R.

dbotos
02-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Not a 1911, but here is my current .45 ACP load:

Glock 21 (.45 ACP) with conventionally-rifled Storm Lake barrel
Lee 452-228-1R - 228 grain round nose, sized to 0.452", BHN ~14
beeswax/crisco lube with powdered graphite
3.8-4.2 grains Alliant Bullseye (Lee disc 0.43)
1.190-1.200" OAL
Winchester large pistol primers
light crimp with Lee FCD
824 fps, avg

+1 on the Lyman 374 top punch - it's in the LAM-II with a .452 sizing die right now.

Bob Jones
02-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Between me and my daughters we went through about 300 pounds of Lee's 230 grain round nose tumble lube last year. I load them over 3.8-3.9 of standard Clays. Nice accurate load you can shoot all day without a lot of recoil, but enough to know you're not shooting a .22.

I did find that I have to size them by running them through a Lee .452 sizer, only takes a few minutes to do a bunch with that tool. Once I started sizing them I shoot them by the case with no feed problems at all. I shoot an old Norinco, my oldest daughter shoots a Kimber Pro Carry, feeds equally well in both.

Sundogg1911
02-12-2007, 11:57 PM
there's nothing wrong with the rock Island stuff. A buddy of mine has one and it shoots well. It drops the brass in an area about 1 foot in diameter. My Enterprise Custom (atabout $1500.) throws them everywhere. Even twaps me in the face sometimes! (try shooting a Pistol like that in competition never knowing when you're gonna get hit in the face with brass) I've had a few different smiths "adjust" it, and its still the same :-( as far as a top punch....start a thread asking what top punch fits the lee. I've done this twice, and both times i've had these Guys steer me in the direction of a top punch that fits like a glove with no mods at all! If's it's being done, it's being done my someone on this forum.