PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits forum Chaplains?

Recluse
10-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Just wondering about something.

It's not unusual to see prayer requests here, but I also wonder if we have members who are either infrequent posters, maybe a bit shy about getting "too personal" or otherwise in which if we had board "chaplains", they would have someone to confide to in private?

Not sure exactly where I'm going with this.

We have a number of members here who are quite well versed in the Bible and other members here who are pretty good at counseling or just lending an ear to bend or shoulder to lean on.

The chaplain positions would definitely have to be voluntary, but could be a subsection under the "Our Town" forum.

We may have members that are having marital problems, problems with their children, financial difficulties, job loss, etc. . . and nobody to really talk or discuss it with.

Some things are pretty personal and not everyone is always comfortable bringing such stuff out into the open. I'm sure a lot of the conversations would be via PM, but again, if it kept some of our members from seeking refuge in a bottle or in self-destructive behavior. . .

Just thinking out loud here.

:coffee:

MT Gianni
10-24-2011, 10:09 PM
It might be a good idea for some but IMO, nothing beats being able to look someone in the eyes and know there is a trust there. I would consider it Ok for some things but nothing beats face to face communication.

Geraldo
10-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Recluse, your heart is in the right place, but I'm not sure it can be done and live up to your expectations.

First, counseling is not something someone should dabble in without training. A key point for people like myself, who have been trained to provide counseling in certain scenarios is knowing when to refer someone to a professional. Long distance counseling means not knowing what is available for professional help in another area and potentially leaves the person in need hanging. In the worst case it can be dangerous.

Second, even via PM or email there is an issue of privacy.

I have friends in a couple of denominations who are chaplains. Even to be a volunteer chaplain generally requires some specific training.

Things to consider. People's problems are often more complex or deeper than they seem on initial contact.

Wayne Smith
10-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Recluse, as a psychologist I don't even do telephone counseling even tho insurance now pays for it. There is a whole different level of non-verbal communication that needs to be considered in true counseling/caring situations. Literally, words aren't enough. Sometimes just to sit in silence with a caring person is more powerful than any words offered.

Biblical instruction, advice giving, all that is word based and can be done. It's not counseling.

gray wolf
10-25-2011, 09:31 AM
I have also done some counseling and while I like the root thought the PO is coming from I must agree with the professionals here and there opinions on the subject.
Most untrained folks are not good enough listeners and just want to give advise based on there own experience. A person in crises is a very delicate individual and the way they present in person can, and often is a needed indicator.
I believe that none in person contact may be beneficial after a re pore has been established between client ( patient ) and the counselor .
This subject could take hours or day's to cover.
However I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to just vent or get something off there chest and PM/ing another person or thought to be friend.
Perhaps a phone call also could be helpful.
If the idea was polished up a little and the corners rounded off I am sure it could hold some beneficial qualities if seen and taken for just what it was and not a substitute for professional intervention.
I know the idea came from the OP's heart, he's just that kind of guy,
and I think we should all thank him for it.
I hope my opinion on this is not taken the wrong way.

Harter66
10-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Recluse,grey wolf,

I like the idea. It needs to have the appropriate disclaimers I'm sure. As long as it is a place to vent in a beer cooler /tailgate way I think it would work as long as its big red letter clear that's what it is.

There are so many times that I just want some insight from outside of my fishbowl. Like when my daughter askes when is rt, rt, even if its morally/biblicaly not ok? Or those days when what you want to say is keep that little....... away from me before I .............. ,and instead you say sure Honey I'll be only to happy to run him/her down......to the park/store/school/friends house. Maybe a place for the atta boys like " Victory...........I guess" .

Recluse
10-25-2011, 03:45 PM
*Sigh*

I hear what everyone's saying. I just know that when I was having problems with our adopted, now estranged daughter, I got a number of very helpful PMs that let me know I wasn't alone in what I was going through.

Of course, I also got a lot of public posts reiterating that, but some folks tend to or prefer to be more private.

Sometimes I'm okay with discussing issues publicly, other times not so okay. Reckon it just depends on what's going on.

But when I see some of our family members going through stuff like what Dan and Jim are dealing with, it just makes you wish you could do a little more, know what I mean?

Agree with Geraldo and Wayne one-hundred percent. Big difference between counseling and simply being a friend.

:coffee:

square butte
10-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Well, I kinda like the idea as well. Don't know that we have to call it counciling in a proffesional sense. I happen to think some here would be appreciative and more likely to find an open ear or someone to bounce things off - that might never make it into some ones office -ie. a proffesional. Not sure how it should be done here - but some here might be more understanding of problems unique to those of us who are perhaps member (used very losely) of this brotherhood ( not to exclude our female members). And yes there are those here who just would like to help out those in need.

Ajax
10-25-2011, 04:32 PM
I kinda like the idea myself. We do some ******** and chatting in the chat room. I am there most all the time and some times it is just a good listener that is needed. If you need to vent i am always available.

Andy

Gelandangan
10-25-2011, 04:42 PM
The great thing about the net is the anonymity provided.
The bad thing about the net is the anonymity provided.

midnight
10-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Here I thought this thread was going to be about counselling us members about our addiction to buying bullet molds. I surely need it.

Bob

waksupi
10-25-2011, 06:58 PM
About the easiest thing to do, would be to have a thread, like "Spiritual and Personal Counseling". Stick it, lock it, with just names of willing volunteers. Then a person could go there, pick one out, and make contact. People could be added or taken off the list at their request.

colt 357
10-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Sometimes just coming to the board is goood theapy for me.

plmitch
10-25-2011, 10:06 PM
About the easiest thing to do, would be to have a thread, like "Spiritual and Personal Counseling". Stick it, lock it, with just names of willing volunteers. Then a person could go there, pick one out, and make contact. People could be added or taken off the list at their request.

This is a nice idea.

geargnasher
10-25-2011, 11:01 PM
If my wife, best friend, or favorite cat can't handle it, I seek appropriate, professional, outside help. Much of this sort of assistance, at least on an "entry level", is provided free of charge by a variety of organizations in just about every community. YMMV.

Gear