PDA

View Full Version : My memory.......

Charlie Two Tracks
10-24-2011, 09:05 PM
It seems like I can only do one thing at a time anymore. Yesterday I was out in the casting room and turned up the LEE 20# to max and waited for the lead to melt. My wife came out and I was talking to her for awhile and we decided to go to Farm&Fleet and see about getting my new work boots. Two hours later I came back to the garage and noticed that the exhaust fan in the casting room was on. I went to turn it off and realized that the pot was still on and the thermometer was over 1,000 degrees! There was sawdust on top but now it was like a brick. I let it cool down and then emptied the pot. I can't believe that I forgot that I was melting lead down. It did not leak, but if it had, I could have had a fire and a half. [smilie=b: Disappointing to say the least.

frankenfab
10-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm sure it will be an isolated incident. We all get too busy sometimes. It's tha gubberments fault!

45nut
10-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I'd say you got pretty lucky!

RayinNH
10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
I always do my casting on my steel welding bench. I've never left it on by mistake but I have turned it on and gone to get a bite to eat while the lead is melting. If the pot started to leak the lead would freeze up almost instantly after hitting the 3/8" thick steel plate bench top...Ray

fatnhappy
10-24-2011, 10:53 PM
your secret is safe with me! ....in about an hour

jcwit
10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
I brew coffee on the stove and had to buy a timer to keep from boiling the pot dry.

mooman76
10-24-2011, 11:38 PM
I brew coffee on the stove and had to buy a timer to keep from boiling the pot dry.

I'm a timer guy too. I dry my pans on the stove and if I don't set the timer even for a few minutes, I'll get busy doing something else and forget til I smell something. Or my tea boiling on the stove to make iced tea. I have more than once was watering the trees in my yard and ended up leaving the hose on for hours.

Quigley284
10-24-2011, 11:45 PM
My personel favorite is putting something in a special hiding spot, then when I look for said item, I can't remember where the special hiding place is located. Usually this item is something I need so I go buy another one. 2 weeks later I stumble on to the first hiding place and now I've got 2 of em. I want to try a string around my finger if I could just remember where the string is. Glad you had a no harm done kind of deal. Mike

smoked turkey
10-24-2011, 11:57 PM
humm..thought it was just me. Looks like I am in good company here!

canyon-ghost
10-25-2011, 12:01 AM
My personel favorite is putting something in a special hiding spot, then when I look for said item, I can't remember where the special hiding place is located. Usually this item is something I need so I go buy another one. 2 weeks later I stumble on to the first hiding place and now I've got 2 of em.

Oh, I thought they called that 'wealth'! Yes, my special hiding places, I do that too!

Wayne Smith
10-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Omega3 fatty acids are brain food. I can't say they are completely solving my problem, but they help. We all need to start building in automatic reminders for all of our potentially dangerous activities. That includes cooking! Don't ask me how I know.

badgeredd
10-25-2011, 08:39 AM
I cleaned the man cave and now can't find s*%&! When it was a mess I didn't seem to have near as much problem.

Quigley284 you make me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who does that!

Edd

kopperl
10-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Went to visit our son this spring. Came back three weeks later and my pot was holding steady at 400+, just where I left it. Dang!

gray wolf
10-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Notes---got to write it down and make yourself a note. Pin it on yourself if you have to. An occasional time is one thing--but if it becomes a pattern you have to do something to avoid a bad mistake.

fishnbob
10-25-2011, 09:13 AM
I have found that if I write something down on paper, I can then tear up the note and throw it away. I can then always remember what I wrote down. If I just take the time to write it down. But who in the h3ll takes the time to write down "FLUSH THE TOILET", or "ZIP YOUR PANTS"?

mold maker
10-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Yep,,,,the cool air this Winter will remind you about the fly.
Notes don't seem to help me. I forget to read them.

mold maker
10-25-2011, 09:28 AM
I had left a cap, in the loading room. When I found it, I already had another one on. As my hands were full, I just poped it on top, to return to the house.
The waitres at Bojangles gave me a really funny look, as I ordered dinner, over 3 hours later.

fishnbob
10-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I had left a cap, in the loading room. When I found it, I already had another one on. As my hands were full, I just poped it on top, to return to the house.
The waitres at Bojangles gave me a really funny look, as I ordered dinner, over 3 hours later.

That is absolutely hillarious!!!:lol:

Harter66
10-25-2011, 10:02 AM
I have bouts w/having crs too. Sometimes I can't remember why I went to the garage,its attached right off the livingroom. In may case its job life stress and requires me to leave the middle lane and turn rt then left on the nearest dirt road.

I never made it to the fast lane, too many over educated idiots there.

P.K.
10-25-2011, 10:06 AM
My personel favorite is putting something in a special hiding spot, then when I look for said item, I can't remember where the special hiding place is located. Usually this item is something I need so I go buy another one. 2 weeks later I stumble on to the first hiding place and now I've got 2 of em. I want to try a string around my finger if I could just remember where the string is. Glad you had a no harm done kind of deal. Mike

That's me and the kids gifts for Christmas or B-days. I found some transformers from 3 years ago haning in the closet in a jacket I hadn't worn in quite awhile.

35isit
10-25-2011, 10:11 AM
I had one of those moments the other day. I left my heater on overnight in my reloading shed. It is uninsulated and I only use enough heat to take the chill off. Woke up the next morning and remembered not turnining it off.

Hardcast416taylor
10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I blame my bad memory on the 8 months of chemo-therapy I had to endure after my cancer surgery in `07 Dec. I have a name for my forgetfulness, I call it my "Ice Cube Memory" because like ice- everything just slips and slides off!Robert:veryconfu

jcwit
10-25-2011, 11:29 AM
I blame my bad memory on the 8 months of chemo-therapy I had to endure after my cancer surgery in `07 Dec.

Yup, know all about this, had mine in '01. Problem is I forgot that was the cause!

firefly1957
10-25-2011, 04:11 PM
As you can see you are not alone and in good company if you do that again I would suggest using a appliance timer to prevent a reinsurance. You can set it to turn off in a hour and add time near the end of each hour until you are done. I have spilled hot lead but it has never started a fire but why take chances.

Charlie Two Tracks
10-25-2011, 06:13 PM
When we first bought this house (34 years ago), our girls were just 4 and 5. I didn't have a safe for the guns and the only automatic I had was a Ruger Mark 1. I put the clip in my sock drawer and put the auto in a very hard to find place............ yup. I couldn't remember where I put it. It was lost for over three years. I just couldn't find it and believe me, I really was worried about one of the girls finding it. I wasn't until I remodeled the bathroom that I found it. As you opened up the closet door and just stepped in, on the inside of the door frame , on the top side, it wasn't finished. There was an opening there. It was a great hiding place all right but I went and got a safe. All I could remember was that it was a real good hiding place.................... but not where.

Mumblypeg
10-25-2011, 07:53 PM

Yea... I did that one too. No Bojangles though. Wife asked me why was I wearing two hats. I said"You didn't see the movie?" She didn't know what I was talking about... Billy Two Hats.

hiram1
10-25-2011, 08:28 PM
i cant ever find the notes

geargnasher
10-25-2011, 11:23 PM
My favorite, and I do it a lot, is to walk into a room deep in thought to get something, suddenly realize I'm in a different place than I was a few moments ago, and can't remember what the (%&^% I went there for. I usually remember it right about the time I walk back into the room I was in before. I'm 36! However, I can recite to you the list of eight torqe specs, the sequence for two of them, and the clearance specs for all that is involved with setting the rack on the 3116 Caterpillar engine I worked on last week. When I'm old I hope I can remember more of the useful stuff and forget more of the irrelevant.

Gear

Hardcast416taylor
10-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Being a retired ( about the third try) plumber, I tell people that it took me 35+ years to remember that hot water is on the left side of a faucet! Toilet waste doesn`t run uphill and the boss is always a son of a %#*^@!Robert:confused:

KYCaster
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
I have bouts w/having crs too. Sometimes I can't remember why I went to the garage,its attached right off the livingroom. In may case its job life stress and requires me to leave the middle lane and turn rt then left on the nearest dirt road.

I never made it to the fast lane, too many over educated idiots there.

CRS is just the early stages of the disorder. It quickly degenerates to CRAFT disease.

It sounds like you have an advanced case of the HEREAFTERS....you walk into a room and wonder, "What the he!! did I come HEREAFTER?"

That's me and the kids gifts for Christmas or B-days. I found some transformers from 3 years ago haning in the closet in a jacket I hadn't worn in quite awhile.

Wait till you get to the point where I'm at.....I can hide my own presents and Easter eggs. It ain't all bad!!

"ZIP YOUR PANTS"?

A friend of mine who seems to have a recurring problem with that says, "It felt so good out today, I thought I'd just leave it out!!" :shock:

So, what were we talking about?

Jerry :confused:

Echo
10-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one - ruined a clad pot boiling water for tea. Boiled for a few hours...

P.K.
10-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Wait till you get to the point where I'm at.....I can hide my own presents and Easter eggs. It ain't all bad!!

That's what freaks me out. I do it to myself too. God only knows what I've got ferreted away. I guess I'll have a good Christmas for awhile.:kidding:

starreloader
10-26-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm certainly in good company with everyone here... Have 5 pair of glasses laying around here, never can find them after I take them off... I've even went through the house looking for my glasses when all the time I had a pair on... Been a few time I tried to put a pair on while already wearing a pair...

frankenfab
10-27-2011, 08:07 PM
I have the occasional habit of throwing the cleanest of the red shop towels I have in my work area over my right shoulder. I have walked into stores after work a couple times with the rag still on my shoulder. I finally notice it when I encounter a mirror.

DLCTEX
10-27-2011, 08:28 PM
I was needing to reload some 308 for my son and couldn't find the dies. I was almost certain I had bought a set recently. But after several weeks of futile off and on searching I was on the internet to buy a set. Before clicking on buy I decided to look one more time yesterday. There on my reloading bench in plain sight a new set of dies. I'm improving, as I have two sets of 25-06 and 300 Win mag. for the same reason.

10-27-2011, 11:06 PM
A few years ago, and for some long forgotten reason, I removed the Model 94's front sight hood. This evening, I decided to put it back on. Eventually, I'll either remember where I put it or find it while looking for something else.

SSGOldfart
10-28-2011, 05:15 PM
yep Lucky

colt 357
10-28-2011, 05:55 PM
This is me with pot pies and TV dinner my timer is the smoke alarm. One time I put in a pot pie went down to the basement to the work shop some time later I was wondering were the smoke was coming from. Went upstair to investigate to find the upstairs full of smoke. YEP the pot pie it was the size of a hockey puck. The Blackhawks could of played hockey with it.

Jailer
10-28-2011, 08:22 PM
My favorite, and I do it a lot, is to walk into a room deep in thought to get something, suddenly realize I'm in a different place than I was a few moments ago, and can't remember what the (%&^% I went there for. I usually remember it right about the time I walk back into the room I was in before. I'm 36! However, I can recite to you the list of eight torqe specs, the sequence for two of them, and the clearance specs for all that is involved with setting the rack on the 3116 Caterpillar engine I worked on last week. When I'm old I hope I can remember more of the useful stuff and forget more of the irrelevant.

Gear

I swear Gear, that last post sounds so much like me it's not even funny. I'm only 42.

I blame it on the fact that there is so much trivial information taking up space that the important stuff just doesn't stick any more.

geargnasher
10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
I swear Gear, that last post sounds so much like me it's not even funny. I'm only 42.

I blame it on the fact that there is so much trivial information taking up space that the important stuff just doesn't stick any more.

Me too. Too much trivial information and stress. I think the reason stress causes short term memory loss is overlooked. Stress consumes brain nutrients at an exponential rate, produces toxins, and also causes a certain preoccupation of thoughts that forges memory structures of their own which might impair normal memory retention/recall. Just my theories. Sometimes there are just too many peas on the plate.

Gear

10x
11-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I have a cookie sheet (large) under my lead pot. It will hold 20 lb of lead....

Charlie Two Tracks
11-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Good idea 10x.

Rockydog
11-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Called a fellow employee Monday at 2:00 to inform her that the boss had assigned me to lead a project that I needed her help with as soon as we could arrange it. There was a long pause at the other end of the line, then in an irritated voice, "Did you forget that you called me at 8:00 this morning about this very same project? My answer now is the same one I gave you then. Give me today to finish the project I'm currently working on and we'll tackle yours first thing tomorrow AM. You did send me an e-mail meeting notice didn't you?" I couldn't even recall the conversation and Ifit was in person or on the phone. I was never so embarrassed in my life. All I could think of was...So this is how it starts.... then I instantly thought of my mother and my lack of patience with her in her later years as she told me the same story two or three times in an afternoon. She's been gone 5 years now but I think the payback is upon me. RD

gandydancer
11-03-2011, 10:46 PM
How about walking around looking for the screwdriver you just used. and its in your hand. duh.

waksupi
11-03-2011, 11:14 PM
At our fall shoot, Dean D.'s wife, another guy, and I were looking all over the ground, trying to find my glasses. Guy across the road asked if they looked anything like the ones I was wearing.

They did.

geargnasher
11-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Ever use a flashlight to look for the flashlight you're using?

Gear

Charlie Two Tracks
11-04-2011, 03:17 PM
You guys are making me feel better with each reply![smilie=w:

472x1B/A
11-04-2011, 03:29 PM
If I remember right you work for the State Dept., highway maint.. My brother worked out of the Knoxville branch for 23 years. Your problem is ,you have been sniffing too many ehaust fumes. My bro. and some of the guys he worked with had the same problem of forgetting things ALL the time. Hope things get better for you.

Charlie Two Tracks
11-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Snow is comming soon. There will be plenty of time to be in the truck smelling diesel. Only 14 more months left I hope.

kbstenberg
11-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I resemblance all the previous posts.

The Dove
11-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm only 43 but my short term memory is gone! I can't tell you what I had for supper last night, but I can tell you what my dad was wearing in 1986 at my highschool graduation ceremony and what my wife wore on our first date in 1992!!! Un-freaking real!!!

The Dove

The Dove
12-10-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm only 43 but my short term memory is gone! I can't tell you what I had for supper last night, but I can tell you what my dad was wearing in 1986 at my highschool graduation ceremony and what my wife wore on our first date in 1992!!! Un-freaking real!!!

The Dove

See.... I told you so!!!!!