PDA

View Full Version : Trimming brass

Lizard333
10-24-2011, 05:46 PM
I am currently using an RCBS trimmer with a hand crank and I currently have 5-6000 pieces of brass that I need to get trimmed and all of the cranking of the handle is killing me. I'm tired of turning my hand into a cramped claw. I was wondering if there is better ways of doing this. The RCBS trimmer works, but is a PITA! What do you use to process your brass. I will be primarily doing trimming on 308, 223, 30-06.

rodsvet
10-24-2011, 05:51 PM
I use the Dillon power trimmer for my .223. Cost alot!! But, you buy it once and and trimming is just a pull of the handle. I load up my shell feeder on my 650 and everything is automatic. Good luck, Rod

GRUMPA
10-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I used to have the same problem way back in the day. Ended up hooking up my power drill after taking off the crank and replacing the screw with a hex head screw. But that was a real pain so I got the 3-way trimmer that I needed and that really speeded things up.

runfiverun
10-24-2011, 06:36 PM
i have the lyman power trimmer and the dillon.
when looking at 10k 223's the dillon makes it slightly time consuming not a month long pita.
and when cutting down 32-20's for the carbine revolver the lyman makes it go quickly.

williamwaco
10-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Different view from an old codger.

You cannot possibly have 6000 pieces of .223 brass that NEED trimming. If you will measure the overall length of those cases, you will find that 99.5% of them are already shorter than "trim-to" length.

What are you trying to accomplish?

DLCTEX
10-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I prefer the Lee case spinner in a cordless drill and the case length guage and trimmer. Fast and effective.

Hardcast416taylor
10-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Finally broke down a few months back and got the power attachment for my RCBS trimmer. It works so well for me, it was almost like discovering sliced bread!Robert

Alchemist
10-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Giraud tool makes the best trimmer I have ever seen. 2 seconds per case gets them trimmed, chamfered and de-burred. The obvious drawback is cost...as with most of life, there is a formula to apply:

Cheap
Fast
Good

Pick 2.

If I didn't have a Giraud, I would give strong consideration to the Little Crow trimmer. It works on the same basic principal, only it doesn't de-burr or chamfer. But it does speed up the process over the handcraked trimmers.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I prefer the Lee case spinner in a cordless drill and the case length guage and trimmer. Fast and effective.

+1 in the lee case holder in a cordless drill , add the ball end cutter to reduce hand fatigue

i have thought about it but haven't tried the 3 jaw chuck yet.

Recluse
10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
I use an inexpensive drill press I got from Harbor Freight for something like $45, the Lee 3-jaw chuck and the Lee case-trimmer gauges.

It makes trimming and prepping cases a complete non-event.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_73384ea6104d2ea08.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2496)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_73384ea61068947cb.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2497)

I agree completely about taking your calipers and measuring, especially the .223 brass, before trimming.

Unless it's match/hunting grade, I rarely trim .223 or 30-30 brass that I'm reloading for plinking.

:coffee:

Lizard333
10-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Different view from an old codger.

You cannot possibly have 6000 pieces of .223 brass that NEED trimming. If you will measure the overall length of those cases, you will find that 99.5% of them are already shorter than "trim-to" length.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I am using a Dillon Case gauge. If it sticks out the top, I trim. If it to low, it put in the scrap bin. In the last few months I have about 6000 that need to be trimmed. They are mostly once fired military brass. Some is range brass. Looking for something more efficient than what I am using now. Not looking for reasons as to why the brass needs to be trimmed or whether or not I am being truthful. If you have better method I am more than willing to hear it. Just looking for helpful advice, as the method I am using now is not very enjoyable.

alfloyd
10-24-2011, 10:27 PM
I use the Dillon. Sure it cost more, but it is a lot faster.
It sizes and trims the brass in one step.
You need a trim die for each size of brass you want to trim.

Lafaun

10x
10-24-2011, 10:29 PM

I put the lee cutter and shank (Length gauge) in a drill press and it does not stop spinning til I'm finished. I use the shell holder and stud on the case and just push the case onto the spinning cutter and stud.
This is the fastest and cheapest way to trim cases.

crabo
10-24-2011, 10:33 PM
I chuck up the Lee Trimmer in my drill press and use the holder that I made. It only takes a 1/4 turn to lock and unlock a case. Saves wear and tear on your hands.

10-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Lee, with a homemade ball-mounted cutter and a cordless drill -- trim, deburr and chamfer in a few seconds. Fast, effortless, simple, efficient, inexpensive.

Shiloh
10-25-2011, 12:16 AM
I use an inexpensive drill press I got from Harbor Freight for something like $45, the Lee 3-jaw chuck and the Lee case-trimmer gauges.

I agree completely about taking your calipers and measuring, especially the .223 brass, before trimming.

Unless it's match/hunting grade, I rarely trim .223 or 30-30 brass that I'm reloading for plinking.

Good idea Recluse. How solid is the Harbor Freight press?? I have been thinking of going the same route.

Shiloh

Shiloh
10-25-2011, 12:24 AM

Good idea Recluse. How solid is the Harbor Freight press?? I have been thinking of going the same route. I undertand it is an inexpensive press, but I have an inexpensive
Chinese micrometer that measures the same as a Mitutoyo Mike costing 5 times as much.

Shiloh

thehouseproduct
10-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Good idea Recluse. How solid is the Harbor Freight press?? I have been thinking of going the same route. I undertand it is an inexpensive press, but I have an inexpensive
Chinese micrometer that measures the same as a Mitutoyo Mike costing 5 times as much.

Shiloh
This is a perfect item to look on craigslist for if your urban at all. I bet $20 is the most you'd pay. I got two for free.

Recluse
10-25-2011, 01:09 AM

Shiloh

Pretty solid. I bought that one in 2003/2004 and have actually used it quite a bit. I've also made some reloading trays with it and other things. Simple set up--motor, stand, chuck and a belt you can change in order to change the RPMs. I have mine set on the slowest RPMs.

I didn't think about looking on Craig's List, though. I happened to see it on sale one day while browsing through a local Harbor Freight and took it home.

MikeS
10-25-2011, 02:08 AM
I tried using the Lee tool, but didn't like it. For whatever reason I couldn't get the shell holder to tighten onto the cases well enough, it would always come loose. What I use now, and like, while more expensive, are the RCBS (and/or redding) file trim dies. Using my Lee Reloader press (cheap single stage press good for lots of stuff) it's a simple matter to put a shell into the press, run the ram up till it's touching the bottom of the die, then just file off any of the case that's above the top of the die. They're hardened pretty hard, so the file won't bother the die body, but it makes the cases the correct length pretty quick! I have one for almost every cartridge I reload.

bigotto
10-25-2011, 02:14 AM
I removed the handle and replaced the screw holding the handle with a hex head screw (allen) then cut the elbow off of an allen wrench and stuck it in my cordless drill. Bingo powered case trimmer.

Lizard333
10-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I removed the handle and replaced the screw holding the handle with a hex head screw (allen) then cut the elbow off of an allen wrench and stuck it in my cordless drill. Bingo powered case trimmer.

I think I'm going to try this. It s cheap and sounds like I will make quick work of the brass. I still have to remove the edges but I'm thinking about buying the cutter that does all that in one step. I'm also looking into the dillon. Does anyone know if it does a clean cut? Do I have to debur with the dillon?

10x
10-25-2011, 11:16 AM
I think I'm going to try this. It s cheap and sounds like I will make quick work of the brass. I still have to remove the edges but I'm thinking about buying the cutter that does all that in one step. I'm also looking into the dillon. Does anyone know if it does a clean cut? Do I have to debur with the dillon?

Seriously, for a large volume of cases a lee with the cutter and shank mounted in a drill CAN NOT BE BEAT. I have had several case trimmers and all work but none are as fast as the lee.
BTW: Lee got it backwards by mounting the case in the drill and spinning it. Recluse almost got it but he has to start and stop the drill. When the cutter is mounted in the drill and you hold the case with the shell holder and stud trimming goes very quickly.

Crabo (Post 14) figured it out and improved the lee trim system.

BTW: I have three forester case trimmers that I very seldom use now that I've gone to the lee system. The lee length gauge shank and shell holder is less expensive and if a cutter ever gets dull, it is a very inexpensive replacement.

williamwaco
10-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I am using a Dillon Case gauge. If it sticks out the top, I trim. If it to low, it put in the scrap bin. In the last few months I have about 6000 that need to be trimmed. They are mostly once fired military brass. Some is range brass. Looking for something more efficient than what I am using now. Not looking for reasons as to why the brass needs to be trimmed or whether or not I am being truthful. If you have better method I am more than willing to hear it. Just looking for helpful advice, as the method I am using now is not very enjoyable.

I hear that.

Well I am going to admit defeat. Trim-to is 1.750 and maximum case length is 1.760. I have a couple thousand range pickups. I just pulled out the first 20 military head stamps I found and measured them. They measured 1.751 to 1.763. 6 of them were 1.760 or longer.

I am not familiar with the Dillon gauge you are using but be sure you understand what it is measuring. You do not need to trim a case until its length exceeds 1.760. If your gauge is alerting to anything longer than 1.750, you are trimming way to many.

AND. Don't throw out those short ones. They are perfectly fine.

The SAAMI spec for the chamber length for the .223 Rem is 1.772 +/- 0.015.

Hardcast416taylor
10-25-2011, 11:53 AM
I agree with not tossing the brass just because they are under length. I found a 5 gal. pail 3/4 full of Re,. made .223 ammo, my brother was a prarie dog shooter. I started sizing and mikeing for too long cases, all the brass was once fired as my brother wouldn`t shoot reloads in his varmit rifles? About 1/2 of the brass was under minimum case length!Robert

lbaize3
10-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Check this out....
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/07/gear-review-worlds-finest-trimmer-from-little-crow-gunworks/

I have the WFT in 308 and can trim 1000 cases in about an hour. Well worth the money for me.

For 223 and 30-06 I have been using Possum Hollow trimmers in my drill. They are ok but not as good as the WFT.

geargnasher
10-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Recluse's use of the Lee three-jaw universal chuck (a two-part purchase if you want to use it with a drill and not the zip-trim) is pretty slick, but here's how I do it until I get a chuck like that:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28957&d=1296281781

The Lee cutter and case gauge are clamped in a piece of 1/2" ID rubber hose so it can flex and absorb runout from off-center flash holes better. The inside/outside deburr tools are some extra cheapo Lee ones I had, but most of the time I use a Lyman VLD on the inside, screwed into the cleaning rod adapter on the far left where the brush is in the pic.

Gear

Boolseye
10-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Let me mention my alternative approach with the Lee trimmer, which works great for me.
I put the cutter in my cordless drill, and the case holder in a socket screwdriver.
I prefer to have the cutter doing the spinning. I don't trim in great volume.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=99096

youngda9
10-25-2011, 05:20 PM
I put my lee trimmer in my drill press. I then use the shellholder clamp thingy to put in a shell, hold up and trim it and then let it fall...repeat 5-6000 times.

Ito goes fast but I would definely split this up into several sessions over a long time because it is tedious and you have to be careful around a spinning blade on a press.

RBak
10-25-2011, 05:20 PM
geargnasher, that set-up is waaay to neat, clean, and orderly to ever belong to to an old goat me, but I do use the Lee Trimmer on a el'cheapo power screwdriver that cost me all of about three bucks, years ago, and, I've never felt the need for anything faster or more efficient.

As a side note;
I don't want to get off topic, but...the case that "stretches" most on me after just a couple of rather 'mild' firings is, and has been, for the past 25 or so years, the .280 Rem cases that I shoot in an old pre-64 that was re-barreled to 7mm-06.
Apparently it was never done just right, or whatever, but it is what it is and life goes on.
I don't hear other folks complaining about their .280 stretching, so I suspect the trouble is likely as much me as the gun, so I just suck it up and trim when it's needed, even though I do find it a boring chore.

Russ

Fixxah
10-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Giraud.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Cherokee
10-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Giraud, expensive but you only pay it once and you can get cutters, holders for just about any bottleneck cartridge. A couple of seconds and the case is ready. Wish it would do 30 Carbine.

I looked at the World’s Finest Trimmer’ from Little Crow Gunworks and I think I would give that a try if I did not already have my Giraud.

Tazman1602
10-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Man I haven't seen anyone mention the Hornady cam lock case trimmer. With cordless drill attachment it makes it a lot less of a pain. Whole setup way under a hundred bucks if I remember right.

NuJudge
10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
I used to use a Forster, similar to the RCBS manual. I finally bought the Foster spud to allow it to be powered by a drill. Doing 4000 .308 cases took me a about 10 long evenings to do. After that I had to chamfer inside and out, although Forster now has a cutter that cuts to length and does inside and out.

RCBS has a length and chamfer cutter head (.22 and .30 only):
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/145038/rcbs-trim-pro-case-trimmer-3-way-cutter-22-caliber
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/251948/rcbs-trim-pro-case-trimmer-3-way-cutter-30-caliber

RCBS has a power conversion for the Trim Pro:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/228870/rcbs-trim-pro-case-trimmer-power-conversion-unit-110-volt

RCBS drill power conversion (I call it a spud):
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/421718/rcbs-trim-pro-case-trimmer-power-drill-converter

With the job I have, I frequently sign my name several thousand times a day. I do it so much I can hold a conversation while I am doing it. I am getting the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel. I finally bought a Giraud. With it I did 4000 .223 cases in one evening. Wear gloves or an accountant's rubber finger tips, because it's hell on finger tips. It chamfers inside and out at the same time. Changing calibers takes about 5 minutes to go from .308 to .30-06 or .303. It takes a bit longer to switch to .223, because you have to change the cutter also. You can change cutter heads as a unit, instead of constantly readjusting the one, which makes everything go a lot faster.

Sonnypie
10-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I have these old case grippers. You slide a case into it and snug the thing down with a slight twist. Then there is the guide and flash hole arbor screwed into a face reamer. That sets the case length.
So... I have a couple of wood lathes with 4 jaw chucks. I mount the case gripper thingamajig in the chuck and set the RPM's at 100, and spin-while inserting the arbor/trimmer guider thingumabob.
While the case is still chucked up it gets a quick light inside and outside chamfer. But sometimes just the inside nibble.
I betcha they are Lee items.... they look like these (http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Case-Trimming-Tools/)

I've gone through about a bahjillion 30-06 cases that way. Then it is a simple check with my calipers set at maximum length so I have a go/no go gap during reloading.

I also had to do a bahjillion primer pockets. But once done, they are all the same and nice to reprocess and reload.

Which reminds me... I have a bunch of LC 53 brass to do the PP on and check the OAL. Once fired brass. I fired it last Fryday. And punched the crimped primers before tumbling. Sparkle, sparkle!
I see why some of you guys like it. Outstanding brass!

But anyway... I actually use a lathe. :eek: ;-)

Lizard333
10-27-2011, 08:57 AM
I have finally decided.... I had a buddy that let me borrow his power case trimmer for his RCBS case pro. Let me say this is a pretty nice piece of equipment. Way better than turning it by hand! Just this is not a piece of equipment that is set up to process a LOT of brass. I am going to be purchasing the Dillon Case trimer, as it is WAY FASTER!! They are not even in the same league!! I am still going to be keeping my RCBS manual case trimmer for the occasional odd ball brass, but the Dillon is going to be the one that process all of the large quantities. I will let you know after I pick up the trimmer on Friday how it goes. I am looking forward to using this product.

GRUMPA
10-27-2011, 03:50 PM
This is what I use to trim mine.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/162764ea7503a8fadb.jpg

Since I also swage from used cases I can do 40 in 15min (taking .100 shorter). And it deburrs inside and outside at the same time. Cost me $65 to have made up.

10x
10-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Recluse's use of the Lee three-jaw universal chuck (a two-part purchase if you want to use it with a drill and not the zip-trim) is pretty slick, but here's how I do it until I get a chuck like that:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28957&d=1296281781

The Lee cutter and case gauge are clamped in a piece of 1/2" ID rubber hose so it can flex and absorb runout from off-center flash holes better. The inside/outside deburr tools are some extra cheapo Lee ones I had, but most of the time I use a Lyman VLD on the inside, screwed into the cleaning rod adapter on the far left where the brush is in the pic.

Gear

I mount the cutter and case guage in the drill - they spin constantly meanwhile I hold the case stationary.

Mk42gunner
10-27-2011, 11:19 PM
I still have a few Lee trimmers in the box, they work well for small quantities.

I have a Forster trimmer that I picked up somewhere, the crank handle will unthread, allowing me to drive it with an electric drill. The keyless chuck on my B&D hasn't harmed it yet. The collet will hold several different case heads, the problem is I only have a thrity cal pilot for it.

While I was looking for Forster pilots, I found a Lyman Universal trimmer on clearance. It followed me home, and I got the case neck turning kit for it; why I don't know, I have never turned a case neck, and don't really plan to. Eventually I picked up a power adapter for it, since trimming even fifty cases gets to be a pain in the wrist.

I tend to use the Lyman more than the Forster, I like the Lyman's cam actuated case holder better. I just use a couple of drywall screws to mount it on my bench.

I try not to get into trimming thousands of pieces at a time, I find brass trimming to be one of the most tedius jobs in the world.

Robert

adrians
10-28-2011, 07:30 AM
i guess im old school but i love my old redding hand cranker,
something about feeling those tiny shavings come off[smilie=p:
have a great friday folks :evil:[smilie=1::twisted:

DLCTEX
10-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I use my Lyman case trimmer this week to trim 100 308 Win. What a pain! Trimming caused a burr to form an the inside that made it very hard to pull the case off the pilot. Forget hand cranking. I immediately ordered a length gauge for next time. I have a Redding trimmer like Adrian has, but never have used it, thankfully. Lee all the way for me. I like Gear's setup, I will steal this idea.

10x
10-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I use my Lyman case trimmer this week to trim 100 308 Win. What a pain! Trimming caused a burr to form an the inside that made it very hard to pull the case off the pilot. Forget hand cranking. I immediately ordered a length gauge for next time. I have a Redding trimmer like Adrian has, but never have used it, thankfully. Lee all the way for me. I like Gear's setup, I will steal this idea.

Small mod, put the cutter in the drill, hold the case to trim.
it goes faster...

1Shirt
10-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I use a lee case trimmer in a cordless drill in my lap as I watch TV. I put a towel on my lap to catch the trimmings. It is mindless work, and makes double use of my time. I hand prime with a lee tool in the same manner.
1Shirt:coffee:

W.R.Buchanan
10-28-2011, 01:55 PM
I've got to say after reading this whole thread Geargnashers method is by far the most inovative. It is simple and very effective and the fixture to hold the tools is easy enough that just about anyone could make one. It is the same concept as one of the expensive Multi Station Case Prep machines but in reverse IE the case turns instead of the tools turning. The advantage this type of setup has is you only handle each case one time.

I am currently using my Mill with a dead length collet closer and a Lee trim cutter.
Then to a drill press with countersink, and then to scotch bright wheel to deburr the outside. Then into the tumbler to clean. IE I handle 3 times , but they are quick handlings, and I can pick up many cases at once for the two deburring ops, so it works Well

I have to say though after seeing this other method I might just be making a "GearTrimTool" soon to test. Mine will probably be aluminum, cuz I can.

I am always looking for ways to streamline all loading operations. And this is a good one!

Randy

ph4570
10-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Dillon for high production. They only offer rifle dies.

Lizard333
10-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Alrighty then. The 300$ purchase today at the Dillon store was worth every penny!! I trimmed up 500 pieces of brass in about 40 minutes. The only thing that sucked was the trimmer from Dillon is also a sizer. This said if you put a piece of brass through it (i got three) they will get stuck like a mother $%#!! My unit didn't come with an instruction manual, as this little bit of information would have been very helpful prior to me spending fifteen minutes and killing a new drill bit to pound the stuck brass out. That said, after it was all said and done, the tool worked flawlessly!! I will be defiantly purchasing the 308 and 30-06 dies as well. Very pleased. Thanks for all the input and suggestions, as I had no idea there was so many ways to skin a cat, I mean trim a piece of brass!!

Boolseye
10-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Ah...a happy camper. That is what this is all about!

Recluse
10-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Small mod, put the cutter in the drill, hold the case to trim.
it goes faster...

I mounted the 3-jaw chuck in my drill press so I could hold the trimmer/gauge to the brass, plus chamfer it, then polish it/remove the case lube. I tried it the other way and had problems holding the case steady/even/level, and it made it harder (for me) to chamfer the mouths.

But I don't do large quantities of brass prep anyhow. If I did, I'd invest in some serious mechanical electrical stuff.

BOOM BOOM
10-30-2011, 01:26 AM
HI,
IF you have a drill press Sinclare international makes a base chuck for $75 that works very well. I did 5,000 357, 2,000 44, & 1,000 30/06 last Dec.:Fire::Fire:

Three44s
10-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Lizzard333,

Here's something to go with your recent acquisition:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/accessory_manual_may_2007.pdf

Enjoy!

Three 44s

Three44s
10-30-2011, 10:32 AM
I like Gear's outfit!

I have something on the order of five brands of case trimmers ........... I should start a museum?

The best thus far is the Lyman Universal with a replacement Carbide cutter.

Someone mentioned brass turned in to the pilot .......... YES, my first trimmer ........... an old Pacific was NOTORIOUS for this .........

I bought the Lyman to fix that .......... the cutter on the Pacific was DULL ........ Dull cutters cause excessive flattening of the case mouth!

Eventually, the Lyman cutter got dull as well and my gunsmith/enabler sold me the carbide cutter for the Lyman .......... expensive but effective!

Next up was the Forester ......... I was getting into outside neck turning for my varmint calibers.

Very sharp cutter on that Forester ...... but I did not want to remove the neck turning fixture .......

Still used the Lyman for adjusting the length of the cases.

I while back, I borrowed an RCBS .......... I like it but when the 3 way cutter came to life ..... I went searching for a used one ..... and found it on one of the forums ........... maybe here?

I have not bought the "3-way" yet.

My fifth trimmer is the Lee system.

After 35 years of trimming brass here's what I think:

1) I like Gear's setup (at the risk of being repetitive!)

2) Any way you cut it .......... unless you spend a bundle ...... trimming brass is REAL DULL (but important) WORK .......... worst than hand washing dishes!

3) I batch my cases .......... the OP started off by being tasked with 5 or 6K to trim ......... I never do that! I do a reasonable amount and then move on to another reloading task.

4) I handle the turned in brass on the case mouth by this method:

IF I have a heavy cut, I inside debur accordingly FIRST before I trim.

I had a plan to build a power brass conditioning station ......... a series of rotating drill chucks on a home made frame run by a low horsepower 110v. motor.

I may still do that ............ but Gear has certainly got my attention with his wise and thrifty solution!!

Thank you GEAR!!!!

Three 44s

Lizard333
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Does anyone that has dillon ever thought about drilling out the sizing die to accommodate larger calibers like 30-06?? Has anybody done this??

thehouseproduct
11-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Dillon makes a 30-06 die.

W.R.Buchanan
11-03-2011, 04:13 PM
3-44's::: Gear's solution is the same as the rotating chucks idea, but in reverse.

I was actually going to build a multichuck case prep machine, but after seeing this other way I abandoned the project as this is much simpler and does exactly the same thing except you spin the case instead of the tools, and you don't have to try to hold onto the case by hand while working it, it gets held by the Lee Trim Chuck. Holding it by hand would get old fast and be painful to older hands.

Only loading a case into a Lee chuck once to do trim to length, inside, and outside deburr, and neck clean is still only handling the case once.

The trim function is "dead length" meaning the trimmed length does not vary. (you have to adjust the length of the cutter pilot to change the length) And no variance in the case will change the length.

When it comes to production processing of anything,,, the object is to reduce the number of part handlings. This is where the time and energy gets ate up, in repeated handling of the parts, also fatigue enters into the equation here as a significant variable whihc only slows things down.

This is why turret lathes exist, they reduce the number of part handlings in most cases to only one. You can do many operations to a part in one chucking,,, IE one handling.

Gear's device is a "linier turret lathe".. Or what we in the machine shop biz call a gang tooled machine. It works exactly like my gang tooled CNC lathe (1st pic). IE all tools are lined up on the cross slide and the rotating part is moved between the tools.

Most of you guys have yet to realize how good an idea this is. Anyone can make a plate to hold the tools out of a couple of pieces of 1x4 pine and some dry wall screws, and everybody has a cordless drill or can get one for $20.

Best and most inexpensive idea for complete case processing in one handling I have seen and I'd bet Lee Precision will be coming out with something like this before long. They pick up on stuff like this quickly and recognize an opportunity to have another inexpensive product in their line. Look at the Zip Trim Case Spinner doodad they have. Simple effective and cheap.

This is a better idea to do the same job, and it is also cheap to make and would be inexpensive to buy. I see a $10 injection moulded angle plate with some set screws to hold the tools, and holes to screw it to a bench and/or two clamp pads, and if they included the deburring tools too? Such a deal.

Randy

Lizard333
11-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Dillon makes a 30-06 die.

yes they do but it is another 50$. If I can pay 50 for one die that does multiple calibers, I could save hundreds.

deltaenterprizes
11-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Dillon is the way to go for processing bulk brass.

I also modified my LEE trimmer cutter to fit my Lyman case prep tool and it works great.