PDA

View Full Version : How old for squirrel, bird hunting?

DrB
10-24-2011, 10:42 AM
So how old were you when you started hunting with your dad, or when did you start your kids?

I'm looking forward to taking my kids (4, 5), individually, for some walks in the woods and fields. Dont expect them to be quiet yet, and just want them to grow to love it. Dont want to start too young, but dont want them to get too old either.

DragoonDrake
10-24-2011, 12:57 PM
My father took me rabbit hunting when I was 6 or 7. I was not allowed to carry a gun until I was 10-11 IIRC. I had been shooting of some sort since I was 4. He took me turkey, deer, rabbit, and dove. Getting that close to animals was fun. It only got better when I could keep my bloody mouth shut.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-24-2011, 01:11 PM
my pa took me squirrel hunting when i was about 6 years old i took my son when he was about
7or 8 years old it was a lot of fun when you take your boys make it fun bring food and water
buy a squirrel call let them use it make it a short hunt have fun
good luck

plmitch
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I was 6, maybe 7 went my Dad first took me hunting, for squirrels. I started my kids and grandkids about the same age. Alot of fun for them and myself, but it is very hard to get the girls to keep quiet for more then 10 minutes at a time, oh well, they will learn.

Baja_Traveler
10-24-2011, 03:10 PM
I must have been 10 or 11 on my first rabbit hunt.

Johnch
10-24-2011, 03:33 PM
I took my Neices and Nephew out squirrel hunting at 4 ....more of a fun walks
But I shot at least 1 every trip

At 5 or 6 they could sit long enough for him to bag one with the 410

About the same age I took them duck hunting

They enjoyed playing with the dog almost as much as the hunt the first few years

Now the oldest Neice is hunting with her collage boyfreind
The Nephew is big into duck hunting with me at 14

He is making a perfict retriver LOL

John

Crawdaddy
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
I remember being in the swamp buggies at 6 or 7, I was probably out there sooner just dont remember. My son was squirrel hunting with me at 5. He shot his first squirrell at 8 or 9. I use the term looslely because the squirrel may have died of a heart attack after a box of shells were fired at it. :)

I think it is a good time to get your kids out there. Just remember they are kids and have a short attention spans. At that age they will be good for 30 minnutes at the most.

waksupi
10-25-2011, 07:02 PM
I was probably 5-6 when I first started tagging along with dad. Much of it was going with him to check the cattle, with hunting incidental. I first started hunting around ten, and also started running my first trap line at about the same age.

10 ga
10-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I was 9 when dad started letting me go along. Even let me carry my slingshot. Used it to pluck at brushpiles and run squirrels around the tree. Shot first squirrel at 11 with my uncles Browning auto 5 and dad let me purchase carry my own shotgun next year. Saved all my muskrat trappin and yard cuttin money and got a Fox model B it was $113 in 1962. I had saved every penny I could scrape up for a year and then mom gave me $15 so I could get the gun before the season started. WoW, it was $1.50 for a box of cheap shells and $2.50 for a license. Good memories from long ago. Best to all, 10 ga

JDFuchs
10-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Well... The only person in my immediate family who hunted was my grandfather. And he passed away when I was 2. Nether of my parents ever fired a gun. Now im 26. Began target shooting when I was 19. I have a little bit of an interest in hunting, enough that I have my hunters ed course. But I have no real idea on what to do next.

Teaching others is so valuable.

Blammer
10-26-2011, 09:51 PM
I took my kids hiking at 4 yrs old, just a short fun walk.

then at 5 and 6 'hiking' with me carrying a 22 for squirrel

and now 7-8 yrs old we go squirrel hunting. I carry the gun and shoot, they find and carry the squirrels.

In a few years more they will be big enough to shoot the gun at the squirrels with very very close supervision, and that ought to be really fun! I can't wait!