PDA

View Full Version : smoke-free sprue plate lube

Chrome1981
10-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Hi i'm Searching a sprue plate lube, can you recommend something?

Or is there a Vendor here that already have a product ? I also lubricate the locking pins??

Considers that i mealt lead at home, I hope that does not make too much smoke.

Thank you! :cbpour:

44man
10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Bullplate, 2 cycle engine oil, Mold Prep, dry graphite, pencil lead.
I use a touch of paraffin at the screw now and then because most lube is depleted after a while anyway.

DLCTEX
10-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Some have reported good results with synthetic 2-cycle oil, which I will be trying when my supply of Bullplate runs out.(Bullplate is currently unavailable)

Chrome1981
10-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Bullplate, I read something on this forum. Where can I buy it?

I'm reading this post about BullPlate :http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19441

Seems like a good product.
Does bullplate make a lot of smoke?

Chrome1981
10-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Some have reported good results with synthetic 2-cycle oil, which I will be trying when my supply of Bullplate runs out.(Bullplate is currently unavailable)

MMM I can find synthetic oil, like Motor's oil, but used oil is harder to find.

synthetic oil make a lot of smoke? (Please i've been married for 2 weeks)

Trey45
10-24-2011, 09:18 AM
bullplate is currently unavailable. Yes there is some initial smoke on a hot mold, but not much. A good 50:1 or 100:1 synthetic 2 stroke oil seems to be giving most people great results. Graphite works, antisieze compound works, pencil lead works.

Trey45
10-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Not engine oil, 2 cycle oil is what you want, for a 2 stroke engine, like a Vespa engine. Synthetic 50:1 or 100:1 synthetic 2 stroke oil.

Chrome1981
10-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Not engine oil, 2 cycle oil is what you want, for a 2 stroke engine, like a Vespa engine. Synthetic 50:1 or 100:1 synthetic 2 stroke oil.

Sorry!!!!, i understand NOW 2 stroke engine OK!

I'll put it a light film on pins and bottom of sprue plate, not in the cavity Right?

Trey45
10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
None in the cavity, BAD NEWS if you do(will make wrinkled bullets with poor fill out) Use a Q Tip (cotton swab) to apply a very, very light touch of oil to underside of sprue plate once you get it hot. Just a small touch is all you need. If you have lead smear on top of mold block, when mold is hot, use a little touch of oil on Q Tip and "scrub" it back and forth, it will remove the smear, and help prevent more smears. You can use it on the pins, but graphite or antisieze compound is better.

sig2009
10-24-2011, 10:08 AM
None in the cavity, BAD NEWS if you do(will make wrinkled bullets with poor fill out) Use a Q Tip (cotton swab) to apply a very, very light touch of oil to underside of sprue plate once you get it hot. Just a small touch is all you need. If you have lead smear on top of mold block, when mold is hot, use a little touch of oil on Q Tip and "scrub" it back and forth, it will remove the smear, and help prevent more smears. You can use it on the pins, but graphite or antisieze compound is better.

I accidently got some alox/beeswax bullet lube in the cavities during a casting session. The cavities are now light brown colored and the bullets drop right out with no wrinkling.

MT Gianni
10-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Sig2009 the danger to that is reducing the diameter of your boolits.

Trey45
10-24-2011, 10:15 AM
There's also a big difference in 2 stroke oil and bullet lube. Try it with oil in the cavities and see what happens. Some even use Kroil in the cavities as a release agent. Oil is bad news in the cavities.

Springfield
10-24-2011, 10:20 AM
I use Bullplate on the pins as graphite tends to build up and make a mess after a while. They need minimal lube anyway.

sig2009
10-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Sig2009 the danger to that is reducing the diameter of your boolits.

Well. No way to get it out now! I just checked some of the bullets I cast. They cast out to .453 and I am sizing to .451 so no problem with the diameter being reduced.

kb8yrw
10-24-2011, 07:53 PM
bullplate is currently unavailable. Yes there is some initial smoke on a hot mold, but not much. A good 50:1 or 100:1 synthetic 2 stroke oil seems to be giving most people great results. Graphite works, antisieze compound works, pencil lead works.
Hi new caster but I had to chime in. I just received 3 bottles of Bullplate in the mail today so it is available via snail mail.

kb8yrw
Boolit Apprentice

MtGun44
10-24-2011, 07:58 PM
NOT a light coat, a VERY, VERY, VERY light film. Dip the top 1/16th of an inch of a Qtip into
the oil, then wipe off all you can on the side of the neck. This will be a perfect applicator.

Less is more. Not sure what is in Bullplate lube, but I have heard that synthetic 2 cycle
(gas additive type) oil works somewhat similarly.

Bill

DLCTEX
10-24-2011, 08:08 PM
I apply Bullplate with just a touch of a Q tip to a hot sprue plate and mould pins and wipe off any wet look.

MikeS
10-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Chrome1981: Considering that you're in Europe, you might want to contact Mihec, a mould maker also in Europe, he supplies a sample of mould lube with each mould he sells. Perhaps he can either sell you some, or you could buy one of his moulds to get some :) The website is www.mpmolds.com (I think that's it, if I'm wrong somebody here will correct me), that might be your best bet for getting a good working mold lube that works just like BullPlate.

Wayne Smith
10-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Married two weeks and casting already! I hope your wife is a) very tolerant or b) a committed shooter herself! Yes, contact Miha and see what he can offer. It will be much faster for you.

milprileb
10-25-2011, 11:58 PM
silicone Dielectric Grease

No smoke, does the job. They most likely sell it in Europe

Chrome1981
10-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Married two weeks and casting already! I hope your wife is a) very tolerant or b) a committed shooter herself! Yes, contact Miha and see what he can offer. It will be much faster for you.

LOL

She is very tolerant, usually when I cast i put her to count own bullets.

silicone Dielectric Grease

No smoke, does the job. They most likely sell it in Europe

GOOD IDEA i'll try 2 cycle Oil and silicone grease!

Thank you!