PDA

View Full Version : Lee handle removal

BE Wild Willy
10-24-2011, 12:11 AM
I have a single cavity mold like this one-

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/BEWildWilly/pix011616144.jpg

Are these handles removable? I have another mold that I want to try and it has screw heads, the one I have with handles doesn't.

Thanks...BEWW

mpmarty
10-24-2011, 01:11 AM
No. LEE one and two cavity molds are permanently attached to their handles.

dragonrider
10-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Even if they where removable............why?..........they are useless on any other mold.

DLCTEX
10-24-2011, 09:14 AM
You can remove the crimp that holds the pins in and by tapping the mould with a mallet , letting inertia move the pins if they do not drop out. I have used the Lee 2 cavity handles on a Lyman mould in a pinch, but the thin handle needs to be shimmed.

BE Wild Willy
10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Even if they where removable............why?..........they are useless on any other mold.

I have recently acquired my first two molds, both Lee, both single cavity. One set had the handles on it, the other didn't. I "***-umed" that I could use the handles from one on the other, doesn't appear to be the case. Gonna have to make or find some handle for the one, any suggestions?

HammerMTB
10-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I have recently acquired my first two molds, both Lee, both single cavity. One set had the handles on it, the other didn't. I "***-umed" that I could use the handles from one on the other, doesn't appear to be the case. Gonna have to make or find some handle for the one, any suggestions?

You could do as above, and remove the non-removable handles, and mod them so they could go from one mold to the other.
But for $20, you can have a new 2-cav Lee mold WITH the handles. I think I'd just get the mold I want and let the rest be learning experience.

dragonrider
10-24-2011, 11:57 AM

In that case you could use them, this pins are usualy not real tight so removing the crimp with a dremel tool or some such device should work ok. Then with careful measuring you can locate and drill a small hole in the top of the mold until you reach the pin then drive it out with a small punch.

10-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Lee sells 2-cavity handle components...buy what you need and assemble.