PDA

View Full Version : 45-90 Crowd Pleaser

TXGunNut
10-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Took my Sharps to the range today and made a big mistake. Got set up on the 100 yd range between a couple of deer hunters and realized I didn't know where (or even if!) this load was going to be on paper. I recently quit case sizing and crimping for this rifle and was a bit nervous. Said something about it to the RO and he shook his head and grinned. He's seen me shoot and didn't believe me. He likes the BP boom. :D Set the sights where I thought they would hit paper and loaded a round in Ol' Boomer. First shot was a bit high and right, second was right beside it. Third shot about an inch left, fourth a little over 2" high and a bit over an inch left. Deer hunters were watching through their scopes and wondering why their modern scoped rifles couldn't do that. ;-) Got a bit excited and tossed out the next one but it was overdue. That's understandable because I can't see the center diamond @ 100 yards, can barely see the corner diamonds on the target. Youngster a little ways down was quite interested and his dad told him a bit about BP and Sharps rifles. Couldn't get the little guy to shoot it but he and his dad had a good time watching and handling the ammo. Load was a Gould 330 over 80grs FFg Swiss, 457193 did pretty well too. Last trip I didn't get this kind of groups @ 50 yds! Made big strides today. I only did a little better with my scoped Guide Gun so it wasn't one of my better days, can only imagine what this rifle will do with a little more load development and better sights.

mustanggt
10-23-2011, 10:13 PM
What type of sights do you have on your rifle? I have globe front and soule with hadley on the rear and I can't do squat with a target like that. It's real hard for me to get the sights regulated trying to look at the diamond. If you used one of those reduced 8,9 or 1k yard targets that would fit an appeture sight you might do even better. I have the most fun, like you, when I get as good or better accuracy than a scoped bolt gun. Last time I had my sharps out to the range there was a guy there that just whooped and hollerd every time I pulled the trigger. He just thought that loud boom and big boolit whacking the berm was the coolest. :lol:

shovel80
10-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Very Nice! Just curious..what s' the twist of that barrel?

Terry

TXGunNut
10-23-2011, 10:57 PM
It has the long range aperture sights on the tang and a crosshair insert in the front globe but the aperture is a bit small and I can't see the crosshairs or the target clearly. I hold off to one side to locate the center diamond and then bring the crosshairs over to where it should be. I can't see the center of the crosshairs either but can see the ends and do what I can to put crosshairs I can't see on a diamond I can't see. A round target works a bit better for me but I put up the wrong target. Another RO calls rifles like mine BOOM-smack rifles. I know I'm on target when I hear the "smack" :D of boolit on plywood.
Thanks, Terry. Can't say for sure but think the twist is 1:18.

Don McDowell
10-23-2011, 11:46 PM
That's not bad for a target you can't see...

TXGunNut
10-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Getting old sucks, it helps that I knew where it was but sure wish I could see the front sights, at least. On a sunny day I can see a bit better, need to look into a different rear eye disc. Perhaps one of the adjustable ones.

mustanggt
10-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Yes get the Hadley eye cup. It is the ticket for target work.

excess650
10-24-2011, 07:14 AM
In addition to using targets that you can see, or sights that will allow you to see your targets, you may find it easier to dial that Sharps in with 400gr+ boolits. I have the Gould HP, and it groups OK for 100 yard deer hunting, but is far from my choice for longer distance shooting (45-70).

Freightman
10-24-2011, 12:14 PM
My Shiloh does better at 100 than 50 and better at 200 than 100 and my 45/70 has a 1-18 twist. I think it takes 100yds to completely stabilize the boolit, mine like 450 or 500 better but that is more than likely just me. Have fun. 200 is as far as the range goes but went to the kids ranch and was hitting a gallon jug at 600 and a rock at 800 using a 500gr boolit much fun.

10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
It's kinda fun to shoot these things just before deer season when the "2 cases of beer/3 boxes of bullets" crowd is at the range.

The comments and looks are worth the price of admission. Two common comments/questions are, "what's the velocity and how big is the bullet?".
When all go downrange to inspect targets the usual look is something like a chicken watching a card trick.

Did this about a week ago with a 45-110 C. Sharps at 75 yds. 5 shots off a rest. Globe front and tang aperture rear. Yes, there were witnesses. :)

oldracer
10-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Since starting with BPCR about a year and a half ago I have found I spend nearly half my time at the range explaining what the hell is making all the smoke and noise and I only use 45-70! I can tell when 3 or 4 folks are standing behind me and usually start by showing them a loaded round and the letting them see a cast bullet and such. I get two main questions, first how dangerous is the black powder and second is how to get started. The second is usually from people with a kid or two and they (especially when I let them try a shot) get so excited they almost jump up and down!

Don McDowell
10-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Getting old sucks, it helps that I knew where it was but sure wish I could see the front sights, at least. On a sunny day I can see a bit better, need to look into a different rear eye disc. Perhaps one of the adjustable ones.

Oh I wouldn't start in on that old man stuff, there's a handful of us here that have grown grandkids.
I've found that the hadley cups don't do that much for me anymore, always just turn it to the largest hole and leave it, so the last couple of sights I've got I just ordered the eyecup with the bighole.
Also if you're wearing no line bifocals, have a set of glasses made with lined bifocal, with the bifocal made just as small as you can get it, and as low in the lense as you can get them to grind it.
Also try different apperatures.
The Shaver fronts with the internal bubble removed lets enough light to see the front sight.
And don't be surprised at how well you can shoot using a tang sight and just the front blade sight.

kimbercraig
10-24-2011, 08:11 PM
The other thing I love is watching the black rifle crowd ting the steel gongs at 200 yards and them seeing what happens when a 118 year old trapdoor takes the steel plates a darn near flips them. As with engines, there's no substitute for cubic inches:) hehehehe.

Lead pot
10-24-2011, 08:35 PM
I take two Sharps rifles to the range. One is a small .40-70 I let the young ones shoot with there folks permission.
It is surprising that some guys in there 30's asking what I'm shooting for a rifle. They ever heard of a Sharps or seen one.
My eyes are going down hill fast and I keep drilling out the eye cups now and then to let more light through. The Hadley I open it all the way mostly but I think that it changes the impact when I go from hole to hole.
I'm about to the point of having to change to a scope just to be able to see the number boards so I dont cross fire at the 800 to 1000 yard targets.

Lp.

TXGunNut
10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm about to give up on the Gould boolit and concentrate on the 457193 for a hunting load and the 457125 for target work. Haven't been too impressed with it in my Guide Gun so I'm not sure what all the fuss was about concerning the Gould boolit. Guess I better dig out my pitch gauge and decide which cup to order. And no, I'm not all that old but I replaced my water heater Saturday and was feeling a bit rough Sunday.;)
One pair of belted magnum hunters next bench over kept asking me how much energy my boolits had. Told them I didn't really know but anything that shoots thru a buffalo was probably sufficient for hunting in TX. They were already flinching badly before I uncased my ported Guide Gun, that didn't improve things.;)
It is amazing how many folks stop and stare, I've had a T/C Hawken frontstuffer for years and more than a few youngsters fired it with the .45 barrel on it, even a few with the .54. Most folks are reluctant to fire the Sharps or the C&B revolver and I've had very few takers. I still try but even some of the RO's are afraid of it, kinda funny since most are former military or Guard and Reserve.
Probably won't get to shoot it again for a few weeks, I generally help out sighting in customers' rifles, helping folks sight it their own rifles, and (after opening weekend) helping hunters figure out why they missed.

TXGunNut
10-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Made good use of the drill press and vise that decorates my secondary bench tonight. Opened up the rear aperture to 7/64" from about 3/32" and touched it up with a cold blue pen. Damn fine job if I do say so myself! Have enough metal left to go to 1/8" or better if that doesn't work. Loaded up some KIK 1.5Fg under 457193's and 457125's. C'mon, weekend!