PDA

View Full Version : Fox squirrel!

DrB
10-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Was bow hunting tennessee this weekend and saw about 14 fox squirrel mostly on three still hunts. Other folks saw a bunch too. Only saw two grays the whole time.

That is about opposite of the max ratio of gray to fox squirrels I've seen anyplace else in the southeast, and not typical for the area. The adjacent acres were logged, and the coyote population is pretty high... Anyone else ever seen those kinds of numbers? I'm curious.

DrB

roverboy
10-23-2011, 07:03 PM
You say the area was logged. In my experience Fox squirrels are usually in more open woods. Maybe thats why your seeing so many. The Grays may be ran out for a while.

DrB
10-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Maybe that's it.

Have you ever hunted an area that was almost all fox?

odfairfaxsub
10-23-2011, 09:30 PM
we have almost exclusivly fox squirrl in our woods in grant county wv

TCLouis
10-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Just seems to be an up year for Fox Squirrels.

They are getting thicker around here and may well displace the smaller grays.

DrB
10-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm all for it. I think they're about twice the meat, and the color variations are neat.

I shot a black one once that was hunter orange on the underside... most of the ones I saw this time were brownish yellow with yellow bellies. I saw one that had a white patch on the nose and a white tail tip...

wv109323
10-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Many years ago I hunted an area where red fox squirrels were concentrated. The area was mostly beech trees. It seemed the fox squirrels liked the beech trees while surrounding areas (with oak and hickory) had gray squirrels.
Could the logging removed most of the oak and hickory trees? Or the mast of hickory and acorns was lacking this year???

DrB
10-24-2011, 09:20 PM
This ridge line was mostly white oak, and acorn production was good this year...